• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Intel 2 Quad Q9550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

INJAC

Hello guys just wanted your personal opinion if everything here seems good for you guys, this is my first overclock, original is 2.83 Ghz and i overclocked it to 3.4Ghz.

So i wanted to know if you guys think this will last without any problems.

My system specifications:

CPU: Intel 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 Ghz
MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME
GPU: GeForce GTS 450 1GB OC GDDR5 PCIe GV-N450OC-1GI
RAM: 2x2GB 1600MHz DDR3 M2P2G64CB8HC9N-DG
2x2GB 1333Mhz DDR3 PC3-10700H

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

How i overclocked it in bios what values i put:

The multiplier is at 8.5x (didnt change that), FBS - 400 Mhz, CPU Vcore was set to 1.135V i put it to 1.150V but somehow here in CPU-Z it says its 1.072V, Up-d the CPU Termination by 0.02V MCH by 0.04V and DRAM Voltage by 0.04V, thats all bios settings i changed.

Yesterday i ran Prime-95 for 7hours no errors poped up and it was green all the time i suppose that means its stable, did intel burn 10 tests on Maximum stress and the highest temp i ever had was 69 °C on the first core all others were up to 60 °C max.

Since this is my first overclock i wanted some opinion from you guys did i do everything good, should i change something in the bios or do some tests, cause to be honest i saw a lot of posts and videos how to overclock all of them had trouble doing it i changed only few values and i guess 69 °C on 100% load is good, thank you for your time :)

Oh and yeah my GPU Temp is now 57 °C when im doing some hard stuff is it maybe effected from overclock as far as i remember before it didnt go above 50°C is that normal temperature?

Last edited:
The Gigabyte GA-EP45T-EXTREME doesn't have any LLC control. It is an excellent board for overclocking C2-Duo and C2-Quad cpu(s). I have the same board and you will see both Vdrop and Vdroop from what you manually set Vcore to in BIOS.

I would think that you could push your Q9550 even higher with proper cooling. BTW... What are you using to cool your cpu? What is the VID for your particular chip? Click the time button in upper right corner of RealTemp and it will switch/show it.

The Gigabyte GA-EP45T-EXTREME doesn't have any LLC control. It is an excellent board for overclocking C2-Duo and C2-Quad cpu(s). I have the same board and you will see both Vdrop and Vdroop from what you manually set Vcore to in BIOS.

I would think that you could push your Q9550 even higher with proper cooling. BTW... What are you using to cool your cpu? What is the VID for your particular chip? Click the time button in upper right corner of RealTemp and it will switch/show it.

If i did it right VID is 1.1375

image.jpg

Everything i have in my pc is default, the only thing i changed is the CPU cooler to this one:
Cooler Master - Hyper TX3 EVO - RR-TX3E-22PK-R1
image4f54bf55d5621.jpg

Btw thank you guys for your opinion :)

Looks fine to me. Good voltage, good temp, good clocks, you're set.

You have one of the best boards ever produced for overclocking Core2Quads.

If you ever upgrade and sell it, please list it in the classified section here. Someone from the benching team will likely buy it in minutes :D

Your chip has a low VID like my Q9650. I would think that there is still plenty of overclocking potential available in your combo if you were interested in exploring or pushing higher? Your 92mm air cooler will most likely become a limiting factor before you find the upper limits of your combo but even with your current cooler you might be able to reach 3.6/3.8 maybe even higher?

Q9650 with custom watercooling:

Attachments

• Q9650.PNG
    Q9650.PNG
    20.1 KB · Views: 369
Ty guys for advice i think 3.4 is where ill stop atm, i guess there will be no problems overclocking it more, but to be honest if something goes wrong and i burn a certain part of hardware im left without a pc cause of financial situations :)

Back