• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking MEMORY on the gtx 750ti has ZERO EFFECT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pulverizor

Registered
or almost zero effect anyway (like 1 fps regardless of detail settings)

so I recently got a 750ti. I know it's a low end card but I got it dirt-cheap
brand is MSI (tf edition, the black & red one with dual fans)

so as I've read, unlike high-end cards where overclocking Vram ain't supposed to change much, overclocking Vram on the 750ti supposed to have a sizeable impact on fps because the 750ti only has a 128bit interface for its vram & low memory bandwidth (basically the low mem bandwidth is the bottleneck for that card)

so I used MSI afterburner to overclock ram (without changing gpu speed or any voltage) to increase it from 1350mhz to over 1600mhz, thus increasing bandwidth from the standard 86gb/s to over 100gb/s

then I tested this on a game called Trine Enchanted Edition (came out roughly the same time as the 750ti)

on the game settings I maxed out everything including an antialiasing setting set to FXAA + 4xSSAA. that setting hits cards hard

so I compared before & after the overclocking & the difference turned out to be... 1 fps? (in both cases fps was down in the 20s so basically no improvement)

same difference in 3Dmark2006 for the Grand Canyon benchmark (everything maxed out), only 1fps difference

so what gives? :confused:

Last edited:

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Well... you added roughly 18% to your vRAM speed.
If you went from 20fps to 21fps you had a 5% fps gain.
Sounds about right for a vRAM overclock, even on something limited by the memory bus.

Tír na nÓg

VSync in game maybe?

On 3dm2006, the bottleneck is more likely the CPU: even a 1080 would give the same FPS.

Try 3dmark11 or FireStrike (or Unigine Heaven)

OP
P

pulverizor

Registered
Well... you added roughly 18% to your vRAM speed.
If you went from 20fps to 21fps you had a 5% fps gain.
Sounds about right for a vRAM overclock, even on something limited by the memory bus.
but it's said that speeding up vram is suppose to make a huge difference in that card because of its limited bandwidth (so if memory bandwidth is the bottleneck then a % increase in its speed should result in same % increase in fps no? at least in a heavily gpu-intensive app)
besides the fps increase is always 1 regardless in fps is in its 20s or 30s (apparently)

VSync in game maybe?

On 3dm2006, the bottleneck is more likely the CPU: even a 1080 would give the same FPS.

Try 3dmark11 or FireStrike (or Unigine Heaven)
in 3Dmark11 which test would be the best to test this? (one that doesn't use cpu I guess)

OP
P

pulverizor

Registered
so in what kinda game/scenario would a memory-only overclock have the highest % gain in fps?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
In memory bandwidth/speed limited situations (read: not much... not where you are playing games at).

ATMINSIDE

Almost never. Core will basically always give more gains than memory.

OP
P

pulverizor

Registered

but then why's everyone saying that the 750ti's "128bit-memory" thingy's a weakness or something? this kinda suggested that (greatly) overclocking the memory could improve things :confused:

so in the end 128bit or 256bit dont change anything I guess?
(and memory bandwidth dont change anything either?)

ATMINSIDE

but then why's everyone saying that the 750ti's "128bit-memory" thingy's a weakness or something? this kinda suggested that (greatly) overclocking the memory could improve things :confused:

so in the end 128bit or 256bit dont change anything I guess?
(and memory bandwidth dont change anything either?)

At 1080p 60Hz the bus doesn't bottleneck, but when you start getting in to higher resolutions (which you shouldn't do for gaming on a 750Ti anyway) it starts to choke.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
https://steamcommunity.com/app/35700/discussions/0/38596748020787046/ <-- some information on the game running badly

had to quick google search that title, as my 750TI plays most anything at decent settings at 1080p. also you wont see much if any gains from overclocking as the card will overclock itself as you are playing and it goes all the way till it hits its power limit of 60w if it doesnt have the 6 pin power connector.

Suppressor1137

Think about how video memory works. It grabs up texture files and sends the info to the display, but it can only pull in so much before it can't handle anymore. Once you fill the memory, performance chokes. This is because it has to remove resources and replace them with the new ones it needs to render the scene. This means that your bottleneck is the amount of VRAM on the card.

Then there is the bus width. What this determines is how large of a file it can pull at once, without chopping it up into sections. As soon as that file size exceeds what the bus can handle, the video card has to then process the image in chunks, dropping fps performance to complete a necessary job to render the scene properly.

At low resolutions, a larger bus is generally wide open, letting the files flow without any need to process the incoming data as much. However, the bigger the resources get, the more likely the bus becomes your bottleneck factor.

The more VRAM and the larger the bus you have, the less the video card has to work to repopulate the memory with updated resources. This lets it focus on one job: Render the scenes as quickly as possible, leading to an increase in fps. However, if you are not filling the memory up, and aren't choking with a small bus, the ONLY thing that gives increased performance is core performance, which makes the card process the images faster*Which puts extra strain on the bus and vram*

In short, its a delicate balancing game. You just have to identify where the bottlenecks are, and determine if you can overclock to compensate. There is temperature, available power, the number of cores, the amount of vram, the bus width, The pci interface(or any other interface), and many other factors to determine what is the max performance possible of a card.

I don't know where the bottleneck exists on your card, but I figured knowing everything that goes into determining the performance of the card was explained, you would have a better idea.

OP
P

pulverizor

Registered
ok thx all for the info :)
(btw my card ain't got a 6pin pci-e power connector)

and your right I never play above 1080 cause I've only a 22' screen & I like to keep refresh rate > 75hz

https://steamcommunity.com/app/35700/discussions/0/38596748020787046/ <-- some information on the game running badly

had to quick google search that title, as my 750TI plays most anything at decent settings at 1080p. also you wont see much if any gains from overclocking as the card will overclock itself as you are playing and it goes all the way till it hits its power limit of 60w if it doesnt have the 6 pin power connector.
but does it auto-overclock vram too? or just the gpu?
(does any card out there auto-overclock its ram?)

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
No.

It doesn't really auto overclock either... its just boost.

i mean it raises the frequency over stock till it hits some limitation (temp, wattage, stability) id consider that auto overclocking regardless of the name?

ATMINSIDE

i mean it raises the frequency over stock till it hits some limitation (temp, wattage, stability) id consider that auto overclocking regardless of the name?

Do you also consider Intel's Turbo as overclocking?