• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my 5960x but having some issues with memory XMP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLambeth87

Hey Guys,
Currently I am stable at 4.5Ghz with only VCore changed to 1.39V and cache is still stock. My problem is that to get this I am not able to run the XMP profile for my memory so it's running at 2166 instead of 3000. If I turn on the XMP then it changes the BLCK to 125mhz instead of 100. Once this happens the system doesn't seem to be stable any longer. Any ideas? Thanks.

P.S. Current full load temps are low 80's right now.

Josh

The CPU frequency is BCLK times the multiplier. At 125 Mhz, your multiplier needs to be 36 for 4.5 Ghz.

Make sure you check your cache multiplier too to keep it at stock (apples to apples)

Sorry I should have clarified. I changed the multiplier to 36 for 4.5ghz when the BLCK was at 125mhz and was still having issues.

Also I have tried to OC the cache and anytime I do that the system won't even POST and I have to reflash the BIOS (latest from MSI) in order to get it back.

Josh

Maybe enable XMP but set 30x100 and x45 for CPU.
Can also try 125 bclk but lower CPU ratio and lower memory ratio ( like for 2666 memory ) just to check if 125 bclk is working at all.
For 64GB kit you may also try higher VCCSA like +0.1V ( stock is ~0.95V so it will be ~1.05V ).

I had issues with my 5820K when I set the BCLK to exactly 125 MHz. I couldn't even get the system to post.

When I went slightly higher or lower than 125 MHz (whatever the next "click" up or down was) things went fine.

It could have been my motherboard, my chip, my memory...don't know.

Running the BCLK at 125 MHz puts more strain on the chip. First you have to determine what is limiting it.

Ok, managed to OC the CPU to 4.6Ghz and it's been stable. The memory is now also OC'd to 3200 and seem stable as well. I am using a BLCK of 100mhz and just bumped the speed of the RAM up to 3200 and increased the voltage to 1.35V to the RAM. So far so good. Now if I could just get a decent OC on my Titan X!

Josh

Nobody else has commented on this so maybe I'm wrong, but isn't 1.39Vcore way too high for a 24/7 X99 system? :-/

Ok, managed to OC the CPU to 4.6Ghz and it's been stable. The memory is now also OC'd to 3200 and seem stable as well. I am using a BLCK of 100mhz and just bumped the speed of the RAM up to 3200 and increased the voltage to 1.35V to the RAM. So far so good. Now if I could just get a decent OC on my Titan X!

Josh

Nobody else has commented on this so maybe I'm wrong, but isn't 1.39Vcore way too high for a 24/7 X99 system? :-/
Nope. Its towards the limit though really. 1.4V is about all most will give it. Some are really conservative though and will recommend less. I would gladly run it at 1.39v for a few years. ;)

Back