• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my AMD 4800+ [Beginner]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AdisTM87

Hi to everyone! First let me tell u that my native language isn't English so i will probably make many grammar mistakes, but i still hope that everyone will understand me :).
I have read many things about overclocking my uP but i really dont know how to overclock it, so it will be good if someone could explain it, step by step.
MOBO > MSI K9N ULTRA
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K9N-Ultra.html , BIOS version is: 3.A0
CPU & Cooler > AMD 4800+ Brisbane. Complete information about my processor : http://www.bug.hr/_cache/7384b7dc221de1f199cc741e6b80060c.jpg?rand=784772341 .
im using Thermaltake Blue ORB II cooler. Temperature for core 0 in idle is from 35-45 Celsius , and for Core 1 from 38 to 53. I player COD MW3 for 40 minutes and temperature was about 50 °C.
MEMORY > Manufacturer 4 GB , 2x1GB Kingston DDR2 max bandwidth 333MHz, , 1x2GB PDP Systems, max bw 400 MHz.
POWER SUPPLY > FSP GOLD , 600 W.
VIDEO CARD > ATI AMD 6850 ASUS .
HDDs > 2 HDD, WD Green 1 TB, and WD 160 GB
BURNERS > ASUS DRW-24B3ST SCSI CdRom Device
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard
USB > Mouse,keyborad, mobile phone usb :D
O/S > Win 7 32 bit
I'm using desktop computer.
Im using Cooler Master case, so i have like 5 extra coolers inside.
I would love to OC it to 2,8 GHz. Would that mean that i would have something like, free AMD 5400+ ? I know that i wont get some extra perfomance after i OC it, but i dont have enough money to buy something like sandy bridge i3, new motherboard, RAM. I guess that sandy bridge price will drop in next few months, after they release Ivy Bridge.
Tnx.

Last edited:
Hi to everyone! First let me tell u that my native language isn't English so i will probably make many grammar mistakes, but i still hope that everyone will understand me :).
I have read many things about overclocking my uP but i really dont know how to overclock it, so it will be good if someone could explain it, step by step.
MOBO > MSI K9N ULTRA
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K9N-Ultra.html , BIOS version is: 3.A0
CPU & Cooler > AMD 4800+ Brisbane. Complete information about my processor : http://www.bug.hr/_cache/7384b7dc221de1f199cc741e6b80060c.jpg?rand=784772341 .
im using Thermaltake Blue ORB II cooler. Temperature for core 0 in idle is from 35-45 Celsius , and for Core 1 from 38 to 53. I player COD MW3 for 40 minutes and temperature was about 50 °C.

Would you please run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes and let us know what your maximum core temps were during that time?

MEMORY > Manufacturer 4 GB , 2x1GB Kingston DDR2 max bandwidth 333MHz, , 1x2GB PDP Systems, max bw 400 MHz.
POWER SUPPLY > FSP GOLD , 600 W.
VIDEO CARD > ATI AMD 6850 ASUS .
HDDs > 2 HDD, WD Green 1 TB, and WD 160 GB
BURNERS > ASUS DRW-24B3ST SCSI CdRom Device
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard
USB > Mouse,keyborad, mobile phone usb :D
O/S > Win 7 32 bit
I'm using desktop computer.
Im using Cooler Master case, so i have like 5 extra coolers inside.

I think you mean to say "5 extra fans". Normally, "coolers" is used to talk about heat sinks.

I would love to OC it to 2,8 GHz. Would that mean that i would have something like, free AMD 5400+ ? I know that i wont get some extra perfomance after i OC it, but i dont have enough money to buy something like sandy bridge i3, new motherboard, RAM. I guess that sandy bridge price will drop in next few months, after they release Ivy Bridge.
Tnx.

Last edited:
Would you please run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes and let us know what your maximum core temps were during that time?

LOL. I runned Prime95 before 30 minutes, just to see what does prime95 do :D
So explain me, should i run it and wait 20 minutes ,and then open another software to check the temperature? Should i stop it after 20 minutes?
What is the best software for checking CPU TEMPERATURE?

Hmm i think i checked my temperature 15,20 minutes after i stopped prime95 and it was about 60 °C so I should probably turn off my computer for 15-20 minutes, so my CPU Temperature could fall down? I checked my temperatures in Speed fan right now , and the temperatures are :
LOCAL 44, 5 min later 43,
Remote 49, 5 min later 46
System 41, 5 min later 41
CPU 51, 5 min later 49
AUX 51, 5 min later 48
HD0 36, 5 min later same
HD1 38, after 5 min 37
GPU 48, after 5 min 44
Core 35. after 5 min 28 I'm temporably only running Mozilla firefox, GOM Player and Winrar.

Is the CPU cooler the one that came boxed with the CPU or an aftermarket cooler?
Nope it didnt came boxed with CPU. I had many problems with my CPU temperature with other cooler, especially on summer. My computer used to shut down after playing 30 minutes some game, but i had diffrent Power supply and GPU then. Its winter here, temperature in city is about -3 °C so , i think that also have some effect on my temperature.

Last edited:
Sorry, now see after re-reading your original post that you did supply information about your CPU cooler.

HWMonitor in my opinion is the best program for checking temperatures and voltages. You should have HWMonitor open on the desktop at the same time you are running Prime95 blend. HWMonitor will record maximum, minimum and current temperature. I only said run Prime95 blend for 20 minutes because that is long enough to get an accurate idea of what max temperatures will be. Please run that again with HWMonitor open and tell us what the max core temp is that you get during that time.

grrr hwmonitor is freezing my computer for 10-15 seconds, always!
Tryed 2 diffrent instalation, and still having same problem , but nvm.
Here are temperatures, after running prime95 in "Blend" mode for about 25 minutes:
cn0mf8fyzzmsb2hc3cs.jpg

Your core temps are already too high. You should not try to overclock until you get a better CPU cooler. When overclocking you will encounter instability unless you can keep core temps from exceeding about 55 C.

Your core temps are already too high. You should not try to overclock until you get a better CPU cooler. When overclocking you will encounter instability unless you can keep core temps from exceeding about 55 C.

... nothing ... i have to wait and hope that some money "will fall from the sky" so i could buy i3 or something...
I hate my country. i3 2120 cost 189 USD, but when u concider that average wage in my country is about 450 $... :/
i5 2500K cost 327$ -.-

I said you need a better cpu cooler not a new cpu.

I know what you said but i dont think that my cpu will have much lower temperatures with new cpu cooler, and when I concider that after i buy one day some intel cpu, then i will also have to buy a new cpu cooler so ... -.- anyway tnx for help :) i hope we will talk next time when i get new cpu :)

Many aftermarket coolers come with mounting hardware for both AMD and Intel sockets.

Back