• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my I7 4790k + Asus 1080 Strix video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vertigo5012

Registered
Ok, first question. And this may indicate that i lost the silicone lottery.

Intel I7 4790 in a Z97-E/USB 3.1 using a Noctua D15 cooler with 1 fan not two on the tower, two wouldn't fit

I started using the motherboards inbuild overclocking software. If i set it to the lowest setting, for desktop type stuff it overclocked a bit. My CPU was like 4036 or something like that.
But if i tried to go the next level up it would not even load.

On top of this issue m SSD only is accessable if set as raid on the motherboard setting. I haven't tried IDE or Disabled atm. It I set it to AHCI it says it can't access that drive, but putting it on Raid it works. It's the old Drive except the DVD player.

Last edited:

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
I generally like to OC using the BIOS and not software. I've found that the software isn't always as stable as a manual overclock and many time the software applies more voltage than is necessary.

The issue you're having with your SSD is likely because how the settings were when the OS was installed. If Windows is installed with the drive set to RAID, then it must always be set to RAID. This is true for AHCI and IDE modes as well. I'm not saying this IS the problem, just a possible cause for the problem. If that makes sense.

trents

If the drive was used in RAID you must wipe the meta data from it in order for it to be recognized when the bios is not set to RAID.

I also note you have a typo in your motherboard model. It should be Z97, Not Z79.

Generally, speaking bios overclock wizards are very unsatisfactory. Also make sure you have the latest bios installed.

Which fan on the Noctua did you have to leave out, the one on the front or the one in the middle? What is the make and model of your case?

Last edited:
OP
V

vertigo5012

Registered
Case is DIYPC Skyline-07-B, not the best case but not to bad. I had to leave the side one off, keeping the middle. I would have to keep only one memory stick to put both fans on. As for the raid situation, it might be because i had to change out mother / processor and still kept the install of the SSD.

Could wiping the meta data fix the problem without redoing the drive? and if yes how would i go about doing that?

Blaylock

I'm pretty sure you can put the fan (the one you removed) on the back of the cooler too.

trents

Case is DIYPC Skyline-07-B, not the best case but not to bad. I had to leave the side one off, keeping the middle. I would have to keep only one memory stick to put both fans on. As for the raid situation, it might be because i had to change out mother / processor and still kept the install of the SSD.

Could wiping the meta data fix the problem without redoing the drive? and if yes how would i go about doing that?

As Blaylock said, you can just position the fan a little higher on the cooler face to clear the memory unless this would create clearance problems to the case side panel. I used to own a Noctua D14 and would do that with RAM having tall heat sinks. But you refer to the left off fan as "the side one." Are the cooler fans blowing toward the back of the case or the top? The D15 has a built in cut out on the front heat sink tower to be able to clear tall RAM. Are your RAM heat spreaders really tall? What make and model of RAM are you using?

No, you cannot wipe the meta data from the drive without destroying all the other data.

Last edited:
OP
V

vertigo5012

Registered
If i putt the fan there I can't close the side panel. I will mess around with it some more maybe i might be able to make it fit. The cooler it blowing towards the fan on the back of the case, exhuast fan.

trents

Okay, your description of the fan being on the "side" of the cooler confused me. I think "front" would have communicated better. What is the make and model of the RAM you are using? It's okay if the front fan rests on top of the RAM module.

Another option might be to move the front fan to the back of the cooler and use it as a "pull" fan if there is enough room between the cooler and the rear panel/rear fan of the case.

Blaylock

Trents I think you're thinking of the Noctua D14 that has a 120mm fan on the front and a 140mm fan in the middle. He has the D15 which has 2x 140mm fans. There's no way the front 140mm fan will fit with the ram there. I'm suggesting he can clip it to the back of the cooler. But in reality if you have an exhaust fan right there you won't see any tangible difference.

EDIT: Missed your last sentence Trents. We're suggesting the same thing now LOL

trents

Yeah, Blaylock, I suggested moving the fan to the rear for exhaust also.

OP
V

vertigo5012

Registered
Ok, sorry for the confusion. The fan is in the middlle, the other fan doesn't fit in the front of the cooler due to ram (front facing being the one towards front of case) I would fit if i could stagger it up a bit but than the side panel won't close. And yes, it won't fit on the cooler facing the rear of the case due to IO Panel items and the rear exhaust fan. I even tried to remove the rear exhaust fan thinking it might be better with the fan on the cooler and the rear exhaust being open but the IO items stop it due to it's circular design and being bigger.

trents

Ok, sorry for the confusion. The fan is in the middlle, the other fan doesn't fit in the front of the cooler due to ram (front facing being the one towards front of case) I would fit if i could stagger it up a bit but than the side panel won't close. And yes, it won't fit on the cooler facing the rear of the case due to IO Panel items and the rear exhaust fan. I even tried to remove the rear exhaust fan thinking it might be better with the fan on the cooler and the rear exhaust being open but the IO items stop it due to it's circular design and being bigger.

Got it!