• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my old AXP Barton 2500+ when to start increasing Vcore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nealoc187

Registered
OK I want to preface this by saying I am OCing this processor and mobo as practice for my next mobo/cpu. I'm going to be getting a newer mobo/cpu in the coming weeks that I want to OC so I want to practice on this old Barton 2500+ that I don't care about in case I screw something up.

The system is running
Asus A7N8X v2.0 (not the deluxe version, not the E version, just plain jane)
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (stock 1.8ghz, 166mhzx11multi).
2GB Corsair Valueselect (1x 1gb @ 8-3-3-3.0t and 2x512 @ 8-3-3-2.5t) Running in DDR - those timings are the stock timings
Stock Vcore and Vdimm

I've read through many overclocking guides including the one on this site.

I've done the manipulating of the FSB by lowering the multi way down and then raising the FSB - Highest I was able to post was at 225mhz w/ 8.0 multi. I was able to post at 215fsb w/ 10.0 multi but it was unstable (24h prime 95 test failed within minutes). Finally discovered 200fsb x 10multi was stable in prime 95 24 hours.

OK so I've got my 1.8ghz processor running at 2.0ghz without changing anything other than the multiplier and the FSB. So where do I go from here? I start raising the voltage right? How do I know how high to raise the voltage? I've done some reading and it seems like 1.80-1.85 VCore is a safe maximum though I've seen people talk about running more than 1.90.

My question is this - the overclocking guides say to start raising Vcore in the smallest increments possibe. So for me that would have me going from the stock 1.65 to 1.675.... what do I do then? do I raise the Vcore and then also try to raise my FSB or multi? And then run a 24 hour stress test? that can't be right because it'd take me like 3 weeks of torture testing to get up to the maximum accepted Vcore.

Do I raise the voltage all they way to 1.85 or whatever and then raise the FSB/multi and see how high I can get before it won't post? Then back it down a few notches and THEN run a 24 hour test to see if it's stable?

How big of an increment do I go in voltage before testing system stability?

BTW I am running stock cooling - I'm not going to buy a cooler for a Socket A when I'm changing CPU/mobo in a couple weeks.

problem with this setup as practice is that Athlon64's are really a whole new ballgame.....

but as for voltages, stay below 1.8v on stock cooling. Bartons can take alot of heat/overvolting, but only when talking about survivability, stability will still get killed when too hot

i'm surprised you made it to 215 on the asus, unless you have an "UBER" bios

i'd simply get 200x10 stable @ 1.65-1.7v vcore as a base, 1.6v chipset, 2.6-2.7v memory

from there up voltages as necessary to go beyond, mainly vcore, but your value select memory may need some juice too

remember, this is socket a, so always run the fsb:memory ratio 1:1

Molester said:
problem with this setup as practice is that Athlon64's are really a whole new ballgame.....

but as for voltages, stay below 1.8v on stock cooling. Bartons can take alot of heat/overvolting, but only when talking about survivability, stability will still get killed when too hot

i'm surprised you made it to 215 on the asus, unless you have an "UBER" bios

i'd simply get 200x10 stable @ 1.65-1.7v vcore as a base, 1.6v chipset, 2.6-2.7v memory

from there up voltages as necessary to go beyond, mainly vcore, but your value select memory may need some juice too

remember, this is socket a, so always run the fsb:memory ratio 1:1

215x10 boots but it won't go for more than a couple minutes in prime95 before failing the torture test. 200x10 is stable at 1.65v (I've never touched the voltage, thus this post). My bios is 1005 revision - never messed around with changing bios either - I should look into that. memory is still at stock voltage too which I believe is the 2.6 you mentioned.

thanks for your advice.

Getting in at 225 on a stock bios is pretty impressive.
I like my sloppy overclock on the socket A to as follows:
Vcore 1.8
Vdimm 2.8
AGP 1.6
1.8 on the NB
shoot for the clocks your lookin for 220 x 10 would be a nice start. When you can higher bus speeds with a lower multiplier net better performance.

Here is a link to Trats for the a7n8x-e plz someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they use the same bios.http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=352326&highlight=trats

the best u can do on the 1T typiccally is best performance. The 6-10 hrz more on the bus u get from the 2T will not make up for the slower CPC.

The wierdest thig is having all 3 slots full and still getting a boot on those high clocks. You are running at 2T though. If you could just get a 11 or 11.5 x 200 @1T with your current ram configuration I'd be happy. :clap:
GLHF :thup:

Back