• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking My Router (Help Please)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

Ok before i get going let me start off by saying please dont try and talk me out of doing this .. im strictly here for help in getting this done so lets stay focused on completing the goal :D

Ok we all heard of dd-wrt for our routers firmware .. Luckily when Airlink went out of buisness and Fry's cleared them out i picked up a wireless router for like 15 o 20 bucks .. Its the Airlink 101 AR430W with an Atheros chipset .. i successfully flashed my router with the latest SP2 out and its been great .. The thing is i didn't realize i could overclock it till i was done and didnt find the how to till way later.. so ive been going through the initial flash guide trying to jump back and forth to see where the overclocking guide pops into the equation.. well its turning into one of those tings where when you first learned something it was so difficult but you had the excitment of doing something new behind it .. well thats gone and its just seems like a pain in the whooooo whoooo to do it again ..but thats not really the worst part .. its the overclocking guide thats bugging me .. you get guys that can do stuff like this so easy and they just start talking about things like everyone knows whats going on DUUUHHHH ... so if anyone is familiar with this maybe you can be of help and let me know what this guy is trying o tell me ..

here is the guide for flashing to dd-wrt from stock http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58216

and here is the overclocking guide http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30305

1. he says enable ssh on the device .. where do i do that ?
2. then he says "then do "cat /dev/mtdblock/0 > /tmp/RedBoot.bin" ... how ???

this is why its important to be very descriptive when you try and explain things .. cause num nums like me get lost easily

thanks for your help ..

turbohans

HAHAA I accually use Tomato firmware on my linksys. didnt help much but maybe adding range for people to see and hack into my net LOL (hidden anyway but still)

I tlaked about that a little in this thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623191:sn:

I do LOVE the QoS in Tomato though!!!!

edit: oh haha flashing is pretty easy too,, I could if you really want do a video reflashing mine ;)

OP
Xtreme Barton

Xtreme Barton

ok ..as long as the video includes you flashing it to dd-wrt and using the overclocking guide in the link .. that way i know how to do it to mine .. otherwise tomato isnt gonna help me

im not talking about range boosting .. im talking about overclocking the chip from 185mhz to 200 maybe 225 mhz for speed

nd4spdbh2

unless your literally pegging the router with thousands of connections, and maxing internal bandwidth... theres no point in ocing your router. Now upping the wifi output can be beneficial. But your routers cpu will HARDLY EVER see anything over 50% usage. Hell my WRT54GL chills right at about 20% usage with 6 comps browsing the net, 500 connections from a torrent client and a maxed 26/20mbit connection both ways.

with ddwrt on my linksys... theres a simple option in the web gui to oc it.

i mean check it yourself... there should be cpu usage in ddwrt... i highly doubt your using 10% of it. no point to oc and cook your passively cooled router.

Mooyo

Enabling SSH should be under the "Services" tab towards the bottom of the page labeled "secure shell"

The command line it told you to run is ran from the SSH session you would established.

EDIT - I second the idea that it probably won't serve you much, if any, purpose but have at it I suppose.

OP
Xtreme Barton

Xtreme Barton

unless your literally pegging the router with thousands of connections, and maxing internal bandwidth... theres no point in ocing your router. Now upping the wifi output can be beneficial. But your routers cpu will HARDLY EVER see anything over 50% usage. Hell my WRT54GL chills right at about 20% usage with 6 comps browsing the net, 500 connections from a torrent client and a maxed 26/20mbit connection both ways.

i mean check it yourself... there should be cpu usage in ddwrt... i highly doubt your using 10% of it. no point to oc and cook your passively cooled router.

no its been lapped and fanned already :salute:

this is just for the sake of doing so

aaaaaaaaaa

OP: DD-WRT has a built in OC function. Have you tried using that before following the method you linked to.