• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking my Xeon w3680 cpu with intel extreme tuning utility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so first off heres my pc specks

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Z400 Workstation
BIOS: Default System BIOS
stock 475 watt psu 80% bronze hp PSU PROPRIETARY

ok so im wanting to use this utility to overclock my cpu intel extreme tuning utility

since my bios has overclocking locked has any one used this utility before will i be able to overclock my cpu with out damaging my pc need any more info please ask

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
XTU does not function on your platform or with locked hardware.

OP
K

kaitlin4599

thats prolly tru but XTU will still allow me to overclock an unlocked cpu on my pc should it not

ATMINSIDE

thats prolly tru but XTU will still allow me to overclock an unlocked cpu on my pc should it not

Again, it will not work on your platform.

And your Xeon isn't unlocked, it has a locked multiplier.

OP
K

kaitlin4599

please clarify why it wont work

- - - Updated - - -

why do you think xtu wont be able to overclock my cpu on my hp desktop

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
If you think it will work just try it and report back whether or not it works.

If it works then let us know and we can help you do it safely.

I'm with the crowd above though and my money is on it not working, hope I'm wrong on this one for your sake though.

Helgaiden

Hey if you wanted to upgrade the PSU, check out my build thread.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...on-Workstation-to-Gaming-Desktop-build-thread

Also from what i understand, these Z400 boards can support up to a w3690 hexacore CPU, which on CPUbenchmark.net, score nearly as high as i7-3770ks stock. So if you want more performance from the socket, sell your old Xeon (or keep as backup, whatever) and just buy a higher processor in the family. Only real way you can get more performance since overclocking is locked out.

edit: just realized you have a w3680. You're pretty much at the top of the socket. Good luck with future endeavors!

Also discovered two programs might succeed in software overclocking like you were trying with XTU.

SetFSB and ClockGen. Im researching them and have yet to try it, will need to get the PLL of the board to test. Ive seen posts online with different people saying SetFSB worked and ClockGen worked, and that SetFSB didnt work and then further, ive found someone who posted on BIOS-MODS.com stated they overclocked their z400 system with XTU. What the heck is going on.

https://goo.gl/1pi1Ba

https://goo.gl/Bk127s

Last edited:

illusion119

Actually I'm upgrading my old i7 950 on a ASUS Sabertooth x58, putting this Xeon on it. It has an unlocked multiplier, and actually the system is stable at 4.5GHz with air cooling. Nice boost for the price. With this upgrade, I think I can wait one or two years before upgrading the entire system.

Regards,

iLLuSiOn119

Helgaiden

Actually I'm upgrading my old i7 950 on a ASUS Sabertooth x58, putting this Xeon on it. It has an unlocked multiplier, and actually the system is stable at 4.5GHz with air cooling. Nice boost for the price. With this upgrade, I think I can wait one or two years before upgrading the entire system.

Regards,

iLLuSiOn119

Thats awesome. Wish i could OC the z400 build i did for my brother but (and i haven't looked at my previous posted options yet about using the PLL and software overclocking, which likely wont work) i'll be settling for a x5687 Xeon for that system as well. Figured it would be better than a w3680 or w3690 for gaming due to higher clock speed (3.6ghz/3.9ghz turbo) versus the slower clock of the w3680/90 and the 2 extra cores.

ATMINSIDE

Sorry, but you're wrong. The Xeon W3680 has unlocked multiplier (and, as far as I know, all the Xeon W3XXX series).

Regards,

iLLuSiOn119

You can adjust the multiplier, yes. You cannot go over the maximum turbo settings as defined by Intel though.
I've overclocked a few W3XXX CPU's with X58 motherboards in my time. They have all been locked, meaning you cannot go over the maximum turbo multiplier.

illusion119

You can adjust the multiplier, yes. You cannot go over the maximum turbo settings as defined by Intel though.
I've overclocked a few W3XXX CPU's with X58 motherboards in my time. They have all been locked, meaning you cannot go over the maximum turbo multiplier.

I'm running my system @4.4GHz, with the BCLK at 200MHz and using a x22 multiplier.
The stock multiplier is 25 (25 x 133MHz BCLK = 3333MHz). With Turbo enabled I'm assuming that the multiplier sets to 27 (27 x 133MHz BCLK = 3600MHz). So I'm using a lower multiplier than stock, but I also tested with BCLK at 166MHz and the multiplier at 27 (4.5GHz stable, but too hot for air cooling and 24/7).
I remember that the BIOS allow me to use any multiplier (30 and higher)... but this don't mean that it will make effect, so I will try it this afternoon to know it for sure, and I will come back with the results, just to know... but anyway I will prefer lower multiplier and higher BCLK because it give higher performance.

Tech Tweaker

that seems like an unsafe BCLK to me, but im not much of an overclocker these days....

166MHz is a pretty minimal overclock on the base clock actually. On LGA 1366 it's not unusual to go over 200MHz on the base clock, unlike LGA1155 and newer sockets.

The Xeon W3680 has unlocked multiplier (and, as far as I know, all the Xeon W3XXX series).

Regards,

iLLuSiOn119

My W3530 is definitely not unlocked.

Last edited:

illusion119

that seems like an unsafe BCLK to me, but im not much of an overclocker these days....

Yes, it seems insane, but works fine, and with no need of high voltages... that's a surprise for me. I've tested hardly and performs like a charm... so why not take it?

illusion119

Definetely, the W3680 it's a completely unlocked micro.
I just make two quick tests at 133MHz BCLK and x32 multiplier, and 100MHz BCLK and x43 multiplier.
This is the prove:
unlocked1.jpg
unlocked2.jpg

Maybe when you test this micros the motherboard didn't support it, or the BIOS version...

Last edited:

ATMINSIDE

I'm running my system @4.4GHz, with the BCLK at 200MHz and using a x22 multiplier.
The stock multiplier is 25 (25 x 133MHz BCLK = 3333MHz). With Turbo enabled I'm assuming that the multiplier sets to 27 (27 x 133MHz BCLK = 3600MHz). So I'm using a lower multiplier than stock, but I also tested with BCLK at 166MHz and the multiplier at 27 (4.5GHz stable, but too hot for air cooling and 24/7).
I remember that the BIOS allow me to use any multiplier (30 and higher)... but this don't mean that it will make effect, so I will try it this afternoon to know it for sure, and I will come back with the results, just to know... but anyway I will prefer lower multiplier and higher BCLK because it give higher performance.

Let me know about the multiplier, that's what I'm referring to as locked/unlocked.

Edit: Just saw your post, already had the thread open and got distracted. Interesting that you have an unlocked multi there, wonder if it's something with the Sabertooth letting you do that.