• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking noon needs help, i7 930, x58a-ud3r, 1866mhz ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ishi_the_FIshi

So, this will literally be the first time I overclock a processor, and I would like all the moon tips along with some safe overclock settings to get to around 3.5 out of my 930.

Helgaiden

What speed is your ram running it? did you have to "overclock it" to actually get it to higher speeds? I ask because this comes from the same family as a Xeon i recently starting playing with and it only recognizes up to 1066mhz ram according to intel ARK (i7-930 reports the same support).

OP
I

Ishi_the_FIshi

Hello ishi,

Check out this guide: http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/

It is the definitive resource for 1st gen i7's :) I was able to get several 920's up to 4ghz, and my trusty old 980x is still kicking it at 4.2.

If you ahve any questions along the way, I am sure they someone will have some insight.

Thank you! Will check it out!

What speed is your ram running it? did you have to "overclock it" to actually get it to higher speeds? I ask because this comes from the same family as a Xeon i recently starting playing with and it only recognizes up to 1066mhz ram according to intel ARK (i7-930 reports the same support).

Ram clock speed has come up a lot when I ask these questions without it ever coming to anything. But on stock settings, my computer is running the 930 and 2x8gb 1866 ram Kingston Hyper x Fury or whatever. I can't figure out if I can get the clocks up, but if i look at the ram under CPU Z or something, it says the clocks are only around 500.

Helgaiden

around 500 would be 533mhz which at double data rate is a speed of 1066mhz, FYI.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
get www.cpuid.com cpuz and post screen shots of the cpu tab/memory/spd tabs. from the info giving the motherboard is a gigabyte x58-ud3r?

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
well you have a D0 stepping which is a good thing the D0 replaced the C0 which ran hotter. as well as being a poor overclocking stepping on any model cpu to have. all you need to do in the bios is increase Bclock and watch your cpu voltage. your ram looks like it is running underclocked, i would start out with cpu voltage at 1.25 in bios. then check cpuz to what it is getting actually might be a bit lower or higher. then increase bclk in bios and some multi's will not work when you hit certian bclk speeds, like 200, some like 21x some like 19 and few like 20. its going to be a trial and error process with overclocking one of these.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
im not sure what you mean by that, if you overclock and it doesnt boot up. after one non-boot it should revert the settings back, if it doesnt for some reason just reset the cmos. start over and if you think you needed more voltage increase it a bit

OP
I

Ishi_the_FIshi

So I tried setting my CPU VTT to 1.25, and it failed to boot.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for double post, edit on mobile isn't working. Everything else is set to auto right?

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
cpu vtt isnt cpu voltage, might be listed as cpu-v. try everything on auto but cpu voltage.

OP
I

Ishi_the_FIshi

CPU vcore?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm only getting about 1.2.

- - - Updated - - -

Successfully got to 3.0 GHz.

OP
I

Ishi_the_FIshi

Thank you for the help evilsizer! Is there any stability issues I might run into with just OCing Bclock and nothing else?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, should I be testing the stability of my build?