• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking old chips.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quailane

Hey, I was planning on overclocking some really cheapo cpus for protien folding. You know how old processors had heatsinks with little or no fans and had no thermal interface material? If I lap the heat spreader and heatsink of an oldie such as pentium2 or k6-2, and I apply artic silver and add a high cfm fan to the sink, do you think the outlook for overclocking them is far better than when they were new? Just wondering, because if I get them all overclocked sufficiently, they are running at stock, except for 2 k6-2s, then I could greatly increase my WU output. Oh, yeah, I'm running 2 400 watt very good power supplies with all my oldie folders. The psu's have two extra soldered-on atx leads to each of them.

Well, better cooling always helps so I wouldn't be surprised if you got a bit more out of them, cooling really has progressed a lot since those days. I would give it a shot, I don't know if you have to lap the heatspreader though, it should be flat (unless you need the extra space to get the HS on there right).

I lapped the heat spreader of pentium pro this morning past the copper and solder to a silver/aluminum looking layer.

Well I have had a P166 up to 266 using a simple peltier/water system many many years ago :)

If the K6-2's in question are 450MHz or above, don't expect much more than 10 to 30 MHz in overclocking. The K6-2 cores never seemed to have much overclocking potential.

My old K6-2 500MHz CPU would NOT run even 10MHz over stock on a FIC VA503+ motherboard.

I overclocked my old P200MMX (original) up to 233 just by messing with the jumpers, its noticebly faster when I run Mandrake 9 or Win98 on that rig, also its still using its stock cooler too, cpu temp reaches about 34-36C under load I think....29 idle. Not bad, I only use it as a test system, so it doesn't matter. Sold my K-2 300Mhz and 500Mhz about 2 years ago, so I never got to try with those.....

K6-2s don't OC that well unless you have really good cooling, I have a 350 Mhz K6-2 that could do 380 on the cooling the came with the system (IBM E3U). But it was ridiculuously hot, so I left it at 350 Mhz.

Pentium IIs will likely do better, considering how ppl used to OC the Celeron 300A to 450 Mhz.

Probably you will be better off getting a cheap mobo and a Duron/Athlon and some RAM, and just keep the rest of your system. Maybe you can get a mobo with SDRAM slots and integrated graphics, such as ECS K7SOM. That's going for $108 Cdn including a Duron 1.2 Ghz in Markham. But you can't overclock it at all, nonetheless, it is a lot faster than the Pentium II/K6-2.

CrashOveride said:

Lol... well in that case I doublt you will be able to get much hihger OCes with better hss lol

Heh, I had 166MMX's that ran 285MHz with the crap cooling of the day, and my best 200MMX ran at 300MHz (100x3) on DFI Via MVP3 super socket seven boards (with a whopping 1MB L2 cache). It took me a while to figure out that that excellent Via chipset was a fluke and abandon them entirely in the P3 era.

The first computer I ever overclocked was a POS emachines with a 233mhz cyrix. It's running happily at 366mhz right now. I also popped one of my old pentiums in that board to see what it would do. I had one of my 133mhx P1's hit 300mhz @ the max voltage of the board and an Icepack sitting on top of it. 100mhz FSB too. All jumpers. Remember those? I also remember that thermal compound was "optional" back then.

i had a k6-2 450 hit 550 but it was hot sob. But k6's aren't worth it unless you get a k6-3.

*looks over at all of his Via based mobo's :eek:* Wait a second there is a worse chipset. Damned Nforce crap oh and we can't forget lowly SiS. I hate those chipsets. :mad:

Back