Overclocking on the Apex x299

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

the only thing i was able to set performance wise was the rams xmp. everything, literally everything, related to adjusting voltage and core ratio manually is locked. greyed out.

i tried following the instructions in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeITi8DrlTI

still all greyed out.

Board is an Asus Rampage ROG Apex
CPU is an Intel Core i9 7900x
PSU is an hx1000 (both power connectors hooked up to board)

This is an unlocked processor right? it says so right on the side of the box. What gives?

i disabled speed step, turbo, pretty much any power setting i could find also disabled and its still greyed.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader

I guess you have to set manual mode instead of auto/intel defaults but I don't have the APEX so can't say exactly. I think some OCF users have the APEX and can help you. You can still post screenshots of the BIOS ( F12 if I'm right ).
It would be easier to help you if you has ASRock as I generally stick to this brand in last generations.
For sure don't disable turbo ... it disables higher CPU ratios than stock. Disable only C states and nothing else .. then check if it was causing the issue or something else.
7900X is unlocked, I have one myself.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

i just found out that im supposed to actually type in the values i want. like click on it and enter the numbers. Neat.

And here i was thinking that there was supposed to be some kind of drop down menu along with a little under score _ thing that lets you know your typing.

C:\Something like this_

WWWUUPPPSSS

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator

I'd be surprised if that board wouldn't let you OC, glad you got it sorted out.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

I Think ill use this thread to help me along the way to help me get a better understanding on how to overclock this board.

right now, im trying to overclock it the same way i did with ivy bridge. Green overclocking.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

Might be an easy fix here, but ill ask anyway.

I have reloaded bios default values and set the rams xmp profile. then i lowered both avx and avx512 to 4ghz and raised the core frequency to 4.5ghz. i go into windows and i see that its fixed to 4.5ghz and will not lower down even with speed step enabled...i know a whole different animal here right?

So what can i do to make it go from something like 1.6ghz to 4.5ghz when it needs to?

Also, does anyone know the safe vcore and max temperatures to stay around at when overclocking on this processor?

(G{in}[AK)TION]

Im overclocking with all cores synced atm with a corsair h110i cooler.

When i look in hardware monitor, i see that core 2 goes immediatly up to +90c. every other core remains at 60-70c.

is this normal to see?

Woomack

Benching Team Leader

In Windows something is always working in the background so it's pretty normal. Check how high can you OC this CPU at 1.15V and 1.20V. If you have similar chip to mine then you can reach ~4.7GHz on all cores stable. Max temps will be still high, like ~90°C.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

So like with ivy bridge, keep temperatures under 90c? or under 105c?

Figured i would use prime95 for a few minutes to help check max temperatures and then run aida64 to test stability once i reach satisfactory with temperatures.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner

As he infered, 90C or so. The chips will throttle at 100C IIRC.

Update your sig please. :)

(G{in}[AK)TION]

Cant update the signature with a third..."build" as this is not my main computer. As much as i would like to put this in my main computer right now, i want to make sure that this computer can be moderately overclocked without hitting 90c all the time. Currently, I have a Corsair H110i on this build but will also be using some E X T R A T H I C C Heatpipe coolers like the Noctua NH-D14, Cryorig R1 universal, or Phanteks PH-TC14PE.

If it absolutely needs a water cooler to stay cool at a moderate overclock, then ill keep it on the test bed for some marathon and futuremark sessions and replace my main computers parts with Ryzen instead.

-ANYWAY-

Managed to get it to pass although i have the CPU set to 4.2ghz for AVX and AVX-512. regular clock is set for 4.7 though. i ran prime and intel burn in test so far and im seeing temps staying around 76c at most...neat. Now to find a program that does not involve AVX for stress testing the CPU.

MaddMutt

I just snag this MB from one of our Benching Member :thup: I was hoping to replace my EVGA Dark as it will not let you increase the voltage in windows (instant BSOD/Freeze). I have found several great OC guides for the dark (Xdevs.com) but very little on the R6A :-( Is the Asus - VI Apex, VI Extreme, & VI Omega ~ the same settings = same OC in all 3 ??

Thank You For Your Time

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner

So, are you asking for an overclocking guide for the X299 Apex?

I'd have to imagine the settings are going to be remarkably similar, yes.