• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking P4 630 & Asus P5P800...HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Colonel_Pwnage

Registered
I have some advice to ask of the forum. I recently upgraded my pc with an ASUS P5P800 mobo, an Intel Pentium 4 630 3.0ghz processor, and a Thermaltake CL-P0092 SILENT HP P4 775 LGA775 COOLER using Arctic Silver compound. I have 2 sticks of Kingston Valueram at 512mb each DDR400 PC3200 ram and a Chaintech Geforce 6200 with 256mb video ram. I opted for the thermaltake cooler with copper base and heatpipes for the obvious reasons, the stock aluminum intel heatsink leave much to be desired and I'd like to oc this puppy.

I've tried oc'ing the motherboard with the bios's auto settings like 5%, 10%, 20%, and so on. Not actually changing the vcores or anything, and I did the 10% which put it at around 3.3 ghz. It ran fine for a while, until my onboard Marvell gigabit ethernet started to malfunction and losing internet connectivity and even vanishing from device manager. I then did it manually after receiving some advice I upped the vcore to 1.41 volts. That seemed to solve the ethernet problem, but I noticed the temp during heavy loads reached nearly 70 degrees celcius with standard intel cooling fan and around 58 degrees celcius under normal load. I have not received the new thermaltake yet, but will be getting it on Tuesday.

Ok finally to my question, I'd like to oc this P4 630, but I don't want to overdo it, I want to remain 100% stable while squeezing some extra processing juice from it. Any recommendations? Please include with your suggestions all the necessary bios changes I'll need to make including vcore, agp voltage, front size bus mhz, memory settings and voltages, etc...Anything and everything I'd have to modify to complete the overclock. Also, in a gaming environment, should I leave Hyperthreading enabled or should I disable it?

Any suggestions anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

First there is not much point in disableing HyperThreading, it wont slow down or speed up your games, but you will see an improvement when you have multiple apps open at the same time.
Now 70degrees is too high, so I would suggest not to OC further before you recieve new cooler.
Now when you atempt to OC make shure AGP frequency is set to 66 or 67Mhz, then try upping an FSB from default 200Mhz until you reach maximum stable clocks ( test it with Prime95 ), also your RAM would probably be the first bottleneck so you should set it on a 5:4 divider so you can scale your FSB higher while keeping your memory around 200Mhz. And remember to watch the temps at all times. With that settings you should be able to reach some nice clocks.
For example on default voltage my 630 is able to reach 3750Mhz max. After that it needs bump in voltage to reach 4Ghz stable.
Good luck, and if you have any further questions dont hesitate to post it here.

Right, lock the AGP/PCI to 66/33. The 5:4 RAM ratio on those Asus models is the 320 memory setting. Just leave HT enabled. We can't really give you a cookbook recipe of every setting. Each combination of components overclock differently and each motherboard model has different settings too. Once you get better cooling, start at your 3.3 gig and go from there.

I would recommend you cancel the order for that cooler. I had it on that board and it produced less than favourable results, given the price.

That board will allow you to overclock but the northbridge chipset will get hot.

I believe that board also has a bit of a droop problem, I saw that with my 530J in it. I would set it to 1.4v, and see how high you can overclock. Definitely use a memory divider before pushing if you don't have ram that can overclock very well.

What temperature in celcius should I never see more than when oc'ing, in other words what temp ceiling should I stay under?

try to stay under 65c. I believe that is throttle point on that Asus board.

how is the overclock going?

are there any settings in particular you're wanting info about?

I would stay away from that AI overclock.

Know Nuttin said:
try to stay under 65c. I believe that is throttle point on that Asus board.

how is the overclock going?

are there any settings in particular you're wanting info about?

I would stay away from that AI overclock.

So far I got it from 3.0 to 3.45, 33.33/66.66 on the pci/agp, 1.40vcore, 400 on the ram. With maximum heat stress test on Prime95, the highest it gets is 66C, usually stays at 65C, this is under maximum load. I decided to downlock it back to stock settings till I get my heatsink from Thermaltake, I also ordered myself a tube of Arctic Silver Ciramique as I've read its one of the best out there. When I get those items I'll go try the 1.45 again and report my new temps.

try lowering the ram speed if you want more CPU speed. Valueram doesn't usually overclock very well and if you're using the 400mhz option, it's probably running at the same speed as your FSB is now.

I wouldn't go past 1.425 with that particular cooler. It's not adequate.

Back