• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking per core for better single core performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nfinity

So I have a i5-4690k... Was able to get it stable at vcore 1.2v at 4.4ghz, all cores...

thinking I could go higher with more volts but I'm happy with that as while stressing my temps are as high as I want them(82C the highest seen with prime)... and this is a 24/7 config.

I currently set cores to 4.4, 4.4, 4.6, 4.6 Thinking while not try to increase per core performance...

I don't see much info on testing for stability for these type of configs... prime at small FFT is stable with all 4 cores selected.. been also running prime selecting 2 and 3 cores to try to force those per core turbos..

Do you believe this is the best way to test stability?

Not sure how much real gains I'll see for doing this but thought why not if stable. Maybe i'll see if I can go 4.4, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7 next or something.

Thanks

the way you have it set will do, in prime 95 you can select how many cores to stress, select 1 core, test, select 2 cores and stress, and so on.

what we call stable is up to each one of us, run p95 for 30 minutes on each setting should do fine.
always try the next higher multiplier before adding voltage.

Folks can do what ever they want to do with the hardware. However, windows will rotate the threads or thread on each core.

I just gave Setting affinity core 0 a try with prime95 one thread and it rotated to all six cores.

give us a snip of yours.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

that's win10, the only copy I run.

This look better/more familiar? His image was from the Resource monitor one level down. ;)

affnty1.jpg

How is affinity set each time automatically?
I don't believe it is automatically. It has to be reset manually. I think there was an old application, process lasso(?), which used to do that automatically on startup.

But, really, there isn't a point in doing this outside of benchmarking is the endgame for the OP. :)

Thanks everyone for the advise.. running prime and rotating through cores with affinity, does seem to hold the core of my choosing... on windows 7.

Last edited:
Back