• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Q9550 High Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baris_

Hello,

I've got a Q9550 which defaults at 2,83 ghz. I don't have any overclocking experience except for reading the (really helpful) stickies and talking to people who do have experience. So now I tried overclocking it. First I ran a prime95 session to see de temps at default stage etc.etc.

I ran a prime95 session of 2-3 hours and monitoring my temps with Speedfan 4.40 and came to see that the temps were really high (I think):

After 58 minutes my temps were:

CPU: 79C
Core 0: 81C
Core 1: 78C
Core 2: 87C
Core 4: 90C

These numbers seem really high to me. Reading stickies etc. where people talk about 55-60 etc. AFTER overclocking. This quite worries me.

The CPU Fan is in tact and running at 1985-2045 RPM.

My room temp is at about 22C.

Could somebody advise me on what to do here, or what the problem may be? Or do these temps seem fine. I reckon I'll go to a 100C and beyond when overclocking it.

But seeing as this is already high, I feel that I can damage this chip even without overclocking :S

Regards, Baris

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
Are you using the stock heatsink/fan? It's not great for temps but they shouldn't be that high with it at stock speed anyway. If you assembled the PC yourself you may not be getting good contact between the heatsink and the CPU heatspreader, those stock heatsink push-clips are a pita and you need to really use more force than seems prudent to get them right. So, a remount or double check of your heatsink mount is in order.

OP
B

baris_

Are you using the stock heatsink/fan? It's not great for temps but they shouldn't be that high with it at stock speed anyway. If you assembled the PC yourself you may not be getting good contact between the heatsink and the CPU heatspreader, those stock heatsink push-clips are a pita and you need to really use more force than seems prudent to get them right. So, a remount or double check of your heatsink mount is in order.

Thank you for your reply.

I did not make it by myself. It was store bought; yes it uses the stock fan. I'll try reapplying but I'm pretty sure it's done well as I was there to see it being put together. I'll still check it out though.

Do you recommend I buy a different heatsink/fan? What would I buy?

Regards

Last edited:

donuts

Baris, first off, Welcome!

Most folks that are overclocking go with an aftermarket HSF with a greater cooling capacity.
With those temps, I'm assuming your running the stock Intel heatsink? If not, then we need to look at the TIM application and the case cooling.

OP
B

baris_

Baris, first off, Welcome!

Most folks that are overclocking go with an aftermarket HSF with a greater cooling capacity.
With those temps, I'm assuming your running the stock Intel heatsink? If not, then we need to look at the TIM application and the case cooling.
Thank you for welcoming me :)

I am using the stock heatsink fan. I do not know what a TIM application is?

Here is a screenshot after I overclocked to 350 mhz. The temps became even higher, I clocked right back to default after taking the screenshot because I got pretty scared.

prime95after1hour5oc333.png

Last edited:

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
What kind of store, like a small custom shop? Or is it a major brand (HP, Dell, Lenovo etc) PC? If it's from a custom shop I'd bring it back there and have them look at it, the stock HSF should not get that high temps at stock speed. One other thing to try if it doesn't void your warranty is to remove the case side and see if that decreases the temperature a lot, it might just have terrible case air flow.

OP
B

baris_

What kind of store, like a small custom shop? Or is it a major brand (HP, Dell, Lenovo etc) PC? If it's from a custom shop I'd bring it back there and have them look at it, the stock HSF should not get that high temps at stock speed. One other thing to try if it doesn't void your warranty is to remove the case side and see if that decreases the temperature a lot, it might just have terrible case air flow.

It was bought from an online store. I have reapplied it, no change. I removed the side, no change.

Look at the change in temperatures when there is no load. They're decreased by like 60%..

noload.png

~35C seems normal to me?

By the way: I ordered a new case because I wanted to upgrade my GPU which didnt fit in my old case. So I will be getting the Antec-1200 shortly. That should have perfect case air flow. Perhaps if you think the problem is mainly the HSF, I should get a new one? Anyone care to venture which ones are good?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Xigmatek s1283 or Sunbeam Core contact freezer are good bang for you buck choices. Just make sure you have some Thermal goo (TIM) to apply to the new cooler.

Also, the reason why people are asking the brand and where its bought is b/c the major makers like Dell and HP for example dont have many overclocking options in the bios. But you have done some so it appears you have at least the ability to change the FSB.

With that in mind, can you please be specific in brand and purchase location?
What motherboard is it?
Have you set all major voltages to manual l like the overclocking guides state?

OP
B

baris_

Xigmatek s1283 or Sunbeam Core contact freezer are good bang for you buck choices. Just make sure you have some Thermal goo (TIM) to apply to the new cooler.

Also, the reason why people are asking the brand and where its bought is b/c the major makers like Dell and HP for example dont have many overclocking options in the bios. But you have done some so it appears you have at least the ability to change the FSB.

With that in mind, can you please be specific in brand and purchase location?
What motherboard is it?
Have you set all major voltages to manual l like the overclocking guides state?

Okay, I checked all of it now.

You are correct on that one, I could not manually overclock the FSB. What I could do was set the option to Overclock Profile. Which gave a new option: 5%, 10%, 15% and so on. I used the 5% one. I already heard from a friend that those overclocking profiles are very unstable. Given that I'm not that bothered. Even if I could overclock it from 2,83 ghz to 2,95 ghz I'm happy. One thing I could do though: was manually change the voltages.

Even if my board does not allow good overclocking options. It is available, and even then the temperatures should not be that high.

Thank you all for replying. I reckon I'll have to buy a new HSF? (btw I read/heard that Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme is very good?)

Is TIM thermal paste? that stuff you smear on the chip itself?

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Heh, I would get another motherboard if you want to do some overclocking in that case.

But yeah TIM is that stuff you smear on the chip. Thermal Interface Material I believe is what it stands for.

The TRUE120 is very good but its costly. That the Prolimatech Megahelems is another one. But really, if you are sticking with your board with minimal overclocking options, you dont need a $60 cooler.

OP
B

baris_

Heh, I would get another motherboard if you want to do some overclocking in that case.

But yeah TIM is that stuff you smear on the chip. Thermal Interface Material I believe is what it stands for.

The TRUE120 is very good but its costly. That the Prolimatech Megahelems is another one. But really, if you are sticking with your board with minimal overclocking options, you dont need a $60 cooler.

Alright, do you reckon (with my minimal options to overclock) that I should just get some TIM on the chip and see how much that cools it?

Don't you think there is something wrong with it though? I mean the heat increases over 100% if in full load.

Edit: Someone just told me it could be my power supply because of the low watts. Cooler Master (forgot model) 350W. What do you guys think of that? Could that be it?

Last edited:

nzaneb

Alright, do you reckon (with my minimal options to overclock) that I should just get some TIM on the chip and see how much that cools it?

Don't you think there is something wrong with it though? I mean the heat increases over 100% if in full load.

Edit: Someone just told me it could be my power supply because of the low watts. Cooler Master (forgot model) 350W. What do you guys think of that? Could that be it?

I would hope that there is TIM on there currently... if not, then that is definitely the problem :) Depending on what brand was used, you can gain a few degrees. If you took the heatsink off and remounted it, did you clean off the old and reapply new TIM? This must be done everytime you take the Heatsink off the CPU. Too much or too little TIM, can make a HUGE difference in temperature. Proper application is something that comes with experience.

The Power supply is not going to have any effect on your CPU temps, other than slight changes in the ambient case temps caused by a warm Power Supply... nothing like you're seeing.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I would be more concerned about that PSU powering your machine than its effects (which is none) on your CPU temps.

OP
B

baris_

I would be more concerned about that PSU powering your machine than its effects (which is none) on your CPU temps.

Alright then, no worries :p. Even if so I've got a new 620 watt on the way.

I would hope that there is TIM on there currently... if not, then that is definitely the problem :) Depending on what brand was used, you can gain a few degrees. If you took the heatsink off and remounted it, did you clean off the old and reapply new TIM? This must be done everytime you take the Heatsink off the CPU. Too much or too little TIM, can make a HUGE difference in temperature. Proper application is something that comes with experience.

The Power supply is not going to have any effect on your CPU temps, other than slight changes in the ambient case temps caused by a warm Power Supply... nothing like you're seeing.

Thank you for your reply. There was never anything on it. I shall order some TIM. I read that this TIM:

http://www.4launch.nl/shop/#p-4-productid-020801

is a very good one. Do you guys agree?

btw: Where do I keep that? In the fridge:p?

Conumdrum

Don't need to keep it cool. AS5 is a pretty good paste.

You really need to make sure you understand how to apply the paste. I highly recommend you go to the AS5 website and read thier tutorials. BEFORE you take the heatsink off.

OP
B

baris_

Don't need to keep it cool. AS5 is a pretty good paste.

You really need to make sure you understand how to apply the paste. I highly recommend you go to the AS5 website and read thier tutorials. BEFORE you take the heatsink off.

I'll do that. I've seen some youtube videos though - is this one done correctly?

AS5 is fine.

I hope the 620W is of a good brand name. Click on the PSU Guide link in my sig. ;)

It's a Cooler Master Real Power. Sadly not one on your list. :(

nzaneb

AS5 is a great TIM. It has become the benchmark standard, sort of like the TRUE has for the HSF market. There are things that are better, but not by much. Good choice.

OP
B

baris_

Go here to see how to apply AS5
http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html
I would not spread the paste around with your finger like the video you posted suggested.

Thank you for your reply. I will use this method instead.

Thank you all a lot for helping me out. It has really made some things clear for me.

If there is anything else you guys could recommend me, please do. (not that you haven't helped me enough already) :p