• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking q9550, RAM question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

So after a failed 771-775 mod on my brother's system (the Xeon x5470 would post and load windows but would randomly bsod like mad, regardless of what voltage I set it at), I decided to find him a q9650 and bump it to 3.33 or better to match or beat that xeon. Didn't like their prices on ebay and saw the q9550s aren't a whole lot slower but cost a whole lot less. Im thinking, maybe I can reach the same OC I was hoping for with the q9650.

So I came across this link which recommends (apparently) I use DDR2-1066 ram for the OC due to FSB constraints and limits of DDR2-800.
http://www.scan.co.uk/images/shops/intel/Intel_Q9550_Core_2_Quad_basic_overclocking_guide.pdf

Bumping the FSB to 400mhz is what will get me to 3.4ghz on the CPU, but apparently that's the limit of the DDR2-800. Should I be worried about stability issues or voltage issues on the ram when attempting to reach 400mhz? I don't see myself trying to go any further than that (which I don't think I can anyways with that RAM) so im just wondering if having DDR2-800 will be nuisance at this time.

System specs:
q6600 @ 2.4ghz (I tried OCing it, it isn't the good stepping and doesn't go very far).

6gb DDR2-800 (hodgepodged from spares: 2x2gb OCZ Reaper, 1gb PNY, 1gb Patriot. Dual channel Interleaved mode preserved, however so that's good)

Nvidia GTX 460 GPU

Asus P5q-SE/R mobo

Cooler Master Hyper T4 Cooler

Corsair Carbide 400r case

Thanks!

You're not restricted to a max. FSB of 400MHz because your RAM is rated at DDR2-800. It's quite possible to hit speeds of DDR2-1000 or greater by either increasing the DRAM voltage and/or loosening the timings. You can also try a less aggressive NB strap (looser internal NB timings), changing from 333 to 400 for example. Also helpful at the higher FSBs is increasing NB and FSB Termination (Vtt) voltages.

If all im trying attain with the 9550 is 3.4ghz at 400mhz FSB, do I even need to worry about any of those other settings with the NB and DRAM voltage then?

DRAM voltage... probably not. A 400MHz FSB... possibly an increase in NB and/or VTT voltage. You'll just have to run a stability check w/ Prime, IBT, OCCT, etc. to find out for sure.

Back