• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking q9550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arnoldt17

How many more fps will overclocking a q9550 give me in Crysis? How much could I overclock and still be stable with an Arctic cooling Freezer 7 Pro? How can I overclock my q9550? This is my first high end computer and I have never overclocked before.

GotNoRice

Your question is incredibly vague. Your FPS will depend on a number of things like your videocard, your memory, what resolution you run at, etc. How high it will overclock will depend on your chip. It’s common to see Q9550’s reach 3.8-4Ghz but it still depends on your motherboard and it’s overclocking abilities. Temperature will depend on what frequency you are trying for and what voltage it takes to get there. Higher voltage will allow for higher overclocks but will raise your chip temperature more than anything else. You’ll want to get a program like Prime95 and make sure you don’t get any closer than 15-20C to your TjMax temp.

OP
A

arnoldt17

Here's my hardware. Antec Twelve Hundred case, Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3r, Intel q9550 cpu, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, G.Skill pc2 8500 2*2gb ram, evga gtx 260 core superclocked core 192 graphics card, Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb hd, Corsair 750tx 750w psu. I thought it was in my signature but I forgot to save it.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Without knowing the VID of your chip, or the exact model of G.Skill RAM you have (showing SPD timings and default DRAM voltage at 1066MHz), give these settings a try for 3.6GHz (425MHz x 8.5)...

Code:
Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
Robust Graphics Booster: Turbo
CPU Clock Ratio: 8
Fine CPU Clock Ratio: 0.5
CPU Frequency: 3.61 (333x8.5)

Clock Chip Control
Standard Clock Control
CPU Host Clock Control: [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz): 425
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz): Auto
C.I.A.2: [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
CPU Clock Drive: 800
PCI Express Clock Drive: 900
CPU Clock Skew (ps): 0
MCH Clock Skew (ps): 0

DRAM Performance Control
Performance Enhance: [Standard]
(G)MCH Frequency Latch: Auto
System Memory Multiplier: 2.40B
Memory Frequency (Mhz): 1020Mhz
DRAM Timing Selectable: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
CAS Latency Time: 5
tRCD: 5
tRP: 5
tRAS: 18

Advanced Timing Control
tRRD: 3
tWTR: 3
tWR: 6
tRFC: 54
tRTP: 3
Command Rate (CMD): 2

>>>>Channel A & B 

Static tRead Value: 8

tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:0 [Auto]
tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:0 [Auto]
tRD Phase2 Adjustment ..................:0 [Auto]
tRD Phase3 Adjustment...................:0 [Auto]

Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:6 [Auto]
Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:6 [Auto]
Twr2rd(Different Rank)....................:5 [Auto]
Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:8 [Auto]

Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:[Auto]
Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:[Auto]
DDR Write Training.........................:[Auto]

Driving Strength Profiles...................[OC1200]
Data Driving Pull-Up Level.................[Auto]
Cmd Driving Pull-Up Level.................[Auto]
Ctrl Driving Pull-Up Level.................[Auto]
Clk Driving Pull-Up Level.................[Auto]

Data Driving Pull-Down Level.................[Auto]
Cmd Driving Pull-Down Level.................[Auto]
Ctrl Driving Pull-Down Level.................[Auto]
Clk Driving Pull-Down Level.................[Auto]

>>>>CPU
Load-Line Calibration: : Enable
CPU Vcore: 1.300V
CPU Termination: 1.200V
CPU PLL: 1.500V
CPU Reference: 0.760V

>>>>MCH/ICH
MCH Core: 1.24V
MCH Reference: 0.760V
MCH/DRAM Reference: 0.900V
ICH I/O: 1.550V
ICH Core: 1.100V

DRAM
DRAM Voltage: 2.1V
DRAM Termination: 0.900V
Channel A Reference: 0.900V
Channel B Reference: 0.900V

OP
A

arnoldt17

The model number for the memory is F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK. The timing is 5-5-5-15 and the voltage is 2.0V - 2.1V. I think that my cpu is the SLB8V EO stepping model. I'm not sure because I don't have the box anymore. Is there anyway I can check in the os or bios? How can I go back to normal settings after an overclock?

GotNoRice

You can run CPU-Z and it will tell you if you have an E0 or not. Your gigabyte board will disable overclocking automatically if you overclock too high so it shouldn't be a big deal.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Looks like redduc has you taken care of...but below is a link to the C2D/C2Q overclocking guide to help you actually LEARN the in's and out's of what you are doing to be a more independent overclocker. Of course dont ever hesitate to ask something here, but that link will give you a great knowledge base to start your overclocking adventure.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

Too many variables to even give a remotely accurate answer to the "how many FPS would I gain" as specifically we dont know the resolution he games on, what he is getting to start, if he will then o/c his GPU etc...etc...etc. Depending on your monitor's resolution however, you would be best served to overclock your videocard than your CPU.

OP
A

arnoldt17

I will be gaming at 1920*1080 and I don't plan on overclocking the gpu yet. I am going to give redduc's settings a try. My cpu vid is 1.2625v.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
At that resolution, you will be likely get more out of overclocking your GPU (which is MUCH easier to overclock).

OP
A

arnoldt17

About How much gain in fps should I get from overclocking my GPU? It's already factory superclocked.

OP
A

arnoldt17

What program should I use to overclock the gpu? I have evga precision would that be ok?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Yep! :)

Have furmark stress test running in the backround. Unlink the core from the shaders and test one at at time. When it freezes, back off, then do the other. Then the memory.

OP
A

arnoldt17

Is it really that important to overclock in small increments. Is there better programs than evga precision as far as basic overclocking goes? I have been testing the gpu by running crysis and every time the screen freezes and pixelates I turn the settings down a notch after a restart.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I would jump up in 20Mhz increments.. and its quicker to test with Furmark in the backround instead of loading and playing a game each time, but, to each his own.

OP
A

arnoldt17

I am thinking about getting a gtx 295 or one of the 300 series cards if and when they come out. The new card will be on my q9550 system. Would I see much of an fps increase in games like crysis and gta 4 by pairing an i7 with a gtx295 over a q9550?

jason4207

At stock the i7 will be about 5% faster in Crysis at 1920x1200. OC'd, I'm not sure.

Crysis%201920x1200.png

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/build-balanced-platform,review-31726-8.html

I'd wait for the GT300's instead of getting a GTX295. For now, I'd just OC the crap out of what you have and see what you can get. Also you can tweak the Crysis settings to get a better experience w/o spending any money.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_1.html