• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Ryzen 1700 w/ ASUS Crosshair VI Hero - Incorrect temps and voltages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VATX

Greetings!

Recently got all my components in and have built a beast little Ryzen PC. Besides a faulty PSU (was sooo scared the motherboard was bad), everything is up and running correctly, more or less. I'm running the latest 0902 BIOS and all the latest drivers for everything. After applying any overclock in the BIOS, temperatures display as 0° and stay that way until a reflash. In addition, there isn't a single program in windows that will display correct temperatures and voltages, even AMD's own Ryzen Master. I have a Kraken x62, so I expected low temps, but Ryzen Master and ROG AI Suite 3 are showing steady temps between 16°C - 22°C at idle. Most other programs are displaying 0°C or nothing at all. I don't understand why I can't find anyone having these issues. I have looked through many message boards and only see references to the +20°C BIOS issue that has since been patched. There are tooons of guides and YouTube videos overclocking the Ryzen 7 with this same motherboard and everything appears to work normally. If my BIOS isn't going to tell me temps at all after an OC and all my software is reading incorrect temps/voltages I sure as heck don't want to do any serious overclocking.

For example, this is practically my exact PC build, I just have the 1700 instead of the 1800x -

They use the ASUS AI Suite 3 to overclock their Ryzen machine without any issues. I ran this software and got up to 3.7Ghz with the software claiming voltages and temps never going above 1.39v and 41°C. At that point I stopped the auto OC and did more research into my incorrect readings, and here I am. I can't find anyone having these same issues, and I don't know what to make of that.

What do you guys think?

Any input is hugely appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Greetings!

Recently got all my components in and have built a beast little Ryzen PC. Besides a faulty PSU (was sooo scared the motherboard was bad), everything is up and running correctly, more or less. I'm running the latest 0902 BIOS and all the latest drivers for everything. After applying any overclock in the BIOS, temperatures display as 0° and stay that way until a reflash. In addition, there isn't a single program in windows that will display correct temperatures and voltages, even AMD's own Ryzen Master. I have a Kraken x62, so I expected low temps, but Ryzen Master and ROG AI Suite 3 are showing steady temps between 16°C - 22°C at idle. Most other programs are displaying 0°C or nothing at all. I don't understand why I can't find anyone having these issues. I have looked through many message boards and can only find references to the +20°C BIOS issue that has since been patched. There are tooons of guides and YouTube videos overclocking the Ryzen 7 with this same motherboard and everything appears to work normally. If my BIOS isn't going to tell me temps at all after an OC and all my software is reading incorrect temps/voltages I sure as heck don't want to do any serious overclocking.

For example, this is practically my exact PC build, I just have the 1700 instead of the 1800x -

They use the ASUS AI Suite 3 to overclock their Ryzen machine without any issues. I ran this software and got up to 3.7Ghz with the software claiming voltages and temps never going above 1.39v and 41°C. At that point I stopped the auto OC and did more research into my incorrect readings, and here I am. I can't find anyone having these same issues, and I don't know what to make of that.

What do you guys think?

Any input is hugely appreciated! :)

I'm kinda having the same problem. I can't trust the temperatures at all, because it is reporting 28°C under Prime 95 @3,8 Ghz with 1,355v.
Cooler is a Corsair H110i on an R7 1700. Mainboard is the C6H.

I haven't been able to start playing with my Ryzen setup just yet, but these do not seem like outrageous numbers from you guys.

Can anyone link a thread that shows people reporting bad numbers as well?

The R7 1700 is a 65W chip compared to the 1700x and 1800x 95W TDP. Thus, a 1700 should run cooler than the rest (far cooler from the rest). So far the numbers you guys are reporting do not seem un-heard of.

I'm kinda having the same problem. I can't trust the temperatures at all, because it is reporting 28°C under Prime 95 @3,8 Ghz with 1,355v.
Cooler is a Corsair H110i on an R7 1700. Mainboard is the C6H.

This is the fix! This was given to me by a member of the ASUS RoG forums - "Turn off sensemi. It is located in either tweakers paradise or where you can set up the load line calibration
There should be an option named sensemi, disable that setting and enjoy"

It's indeed under the Tweaker's Paradise. Disable Sense MI Skew. The Sense MI Offset is fine at auto.

Hope this helps anyone having this problem!

Dolk, I don't know how it would be possible for my overclocked 1700 to be idling at 14°C. Even at base 3Ghz.

I'm not running LNC xD

But disabling the Sense MI is providing accurate temperatures. I'm idling at 31°C with a 3.86Ghz OC.

Just shows my lack of experience with this latest hardware :( Sense MI must still have some issues with BIOS or the like.

(Austinite, where be you?)

Just shows my lack of experience with this latest hardware :( Sense MI must still have some issues with BIOS or the like.

Yes it does, well with the CHVI it does any way. Sometimes that works other times you need to set an offset. The R7 1700 seems to me to be the worst offender as well.
As for voltages I suggest a multimeter if you have one. That's the only way I can get good voltage readings. Another wierd thing in my case any way. I can't use the ground on the probelt. I have to use a common ground when doing measurements or it freezes my system. Must be some weird feedback or something.

Grew up in Austin. Love it here! I'm at Mopac and 2222. How about you?

Last edited:
Mopac and Breaker, in the Domain area. Up at Dell in the RR area.

We need a Texas bench-athon again. Where is Dejo?

Back