• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking safety limit. fx 8320

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trollyy

Registered
Okay onto the specs
asrock asrock 970a g/3.1. Had a fx 9370 with stock voltage of 1.525 which is insane and too much for my board, no matter the cooling or fans on the vrm/back of the cputin was on it for a while but took it off due to temperature issues and wanting to overclock. So I switched to my fx 8320 and its running like a charm on this board.
fx 8350 vcore is stock (manual set) and stress tested for 30 minutes, no problems. 1.3375 vcore with offset of +50mv, everything has been set manual, fsb manual to default settings, turned off c6/c1e and cool and quiet. Then slowly ramped up to multi up to 20x 4.0ghz (which would be the level of boost if i had turbo core enabled) from base of 3500. I experienced issues with clock speeds variating horribly at manual 3600mhz-3800mhz stock settings (3600mhz dropping to like 3425mhz etc)
My temperatures are quite low but im experiencing vdroop, I can go up to LLC +100/150mv but that just makes the CPUtin up to 50-55c (my general safe range) even with a fan over it. But on this 10min prime95 run temps were very safe.

BUT im getting some vdroop but it seems to be quite stable at stock voltage at 4000mhz, but the 4000mhz range the but im still getting 4100mhz during some times during the stress test (if I open a program while stress testing (i know, dont). im wondering if the clock ranges are within specs, i know my voltage droop happened when i was stress testing and opened a couple programs in the background and it dropped from 1.2835 to 1.272, but during stress testing here are my results. am i safe to push it further? or should I up the vcore up a notch? see if that fixes it? then go for more? Im running an coolermaster master liquid aio with 4 fans, fan over VRM, fan on back behind CPUTIN.
I can also can up the offset to +100 and lower the voltage (it causes a increase in my vcore in the bios when enabled, maybe +.35 of what i have set. Is that a possible idea too?

overclock.png

here is a stress test with voltage offset of 100+mv and a vcore of 1.315 for 10 minutes.

overclock1.3115offset100mv.png

Last edited:
my limits with fx are, fx 8320 line= 55c.
vcore 1.6.
I have had more than one fx die when running 1.64 vcore under light loads 24/7.
with your board I would guess 1.40 or so on the vcore with all the green stuff off and a good fan blowing over the vrm section, I add this fan to all fx 8 core cpus anyway.

my limits with fx are, fx 8320 line= 55c.
vcore 1.6.
I have had more than one fx die when running 1.64 vcore under light loads 24/7.
with your board I would guess 1.40 or so on the vcore with all the green stuff off and a good fan blowing over the vrm section, I add this fan to all fx 8 core cpus anyway.

on most FX processors i refuse to go above 1.525vcore. Safety ive read is keeping vcore under 1.5v. (on fx 9370/9350) yeah ive already done that, fans and everything but im always confused by this voltage offset that doesnt work well on asrock boards. what about the frequency jumps from the processor? or is that just normal from the cpu internal clock

I can past most prime95 tests running for a solid 30 mins but the vdroop is massive. especially +50mv settings but the +100mv step just increases my temp. I also keep getting these drops in my actual clock speed, from 4ghz to 3.8mhz consistently. So up the voltage? up the offset?

Last edited:
If there is no throttling going on temp wise, the frequency swings you see is a board issue, not a CPU issue.
200MHz is a little grander than most , but I've seen 100MHz pretty common on my stuff.

Up that LLC. Your vcore drops like a rock under load. I see almost a tenth of a volt swing in your pics. That's way too much.

Ill up the offset to 150mv puts my clocks almost up to 1.45vcore even tho set as 1.335 and run a stress test at 4ghz, see what happens boys.

If there is no throttling going on temp wise, the frequency swings you see is a board issue, not a CPU issue.
200MHz is a little grander than most , but I've seen 100MHz pretty common on my stuff.

Up that LLC. Your vcore drops like a rock under load. I see almost a tenth of a volt swing in your pics. That's way too much.
I agree with scotty here, raise the LLC so the voltage stays more consistent.

I turned it up to 150+mv and it seemed to fix the flucuating clock speed, now im getting speed drops only about 20mhz over or under stock 3.5ghz
150+ llc a 4ghz is stable too after running prime 95 for 20 minutes. I cant take screenshots right now but the cputin never rose above 51c and my package temp maxed out at 39c

also it seems changing my HT link to the same as my NB frequency has made it more stable too. 2200 htlink 2200 nb. Should I keep the HT-link at 2400 or just keep it the same as nb. I may have already answered my question

Last edited:
Stock Ht link Mhz is 2600 best bet is to leave Nb Freq stock until you get the Cpu Oc squared away

Yeah I have the Exact Same CPU & Motherboard... The socket on that thing overheats very easily... although mine is cooled Passively by Ventilating air in the Case.

BTW... using just the Multiplyer I was able to a achieve a somewhat Stable 4200Mhz on my 8320 at stock voltage... I tried going for 4400Mhz but even at 1.4v Core 3 Just Gives Up on me.

anyway I say its somewhat stable because when it first Heats Up the Socket Temperature does hit 61 or even 62 Degrees... then my Fans kick in and it manages to Whittle down to 57 and thats where it Stays. I suppose I can Fix That by changing the Auto Fan Speed in The BIOS (Theres no Fan Curve).

Anyway...What is Voltage Offset ? Is that ASRock's version of LLC ?

Back