• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the 9500 Pro and Confusion.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

To start off i would like to state that i have never overclocked a video card before.

Next, i have a Radeon 9500 Pro with Red PCB Built by ATI. It was bought from newegg in mid July of 2003.

I am confused with all this bios flashing and overclocking.

First if i attempt the softmod/bios flash can i undo it if it doesnt work?
How likely is it to work?
How do i OC the thing with its stock bios, what is the advantage of an upgraded bios?

Im just a little confused here, the sticky just makes the confusion worse and so does searching.

Thanks, Z.

Rezin777

It is necessary to flash the BIOS on these cards to allow for increase of the core and memory speeds. You cannot overclock without doing this. Usually you overclock with a tweak program or a driver that has tweaks built into it after flashing the BIOS. It is possible to overclock through the BIOS but I don't recommend it until you have learned more and overclocked successfully in windows.

The softmod, if your card is capable of it, can be achieved through just the driver. I recommend omega drivers for this.

Both can be reversed. Obviously the softmod is easier to reverse, just uninstall the driver. If you flash your BIOS to allow for overclocking, you will have to flash it back the original to "undo" the changes.

EDIT: I just noticed that the title says 9500pro, these cards do not softmod. The 9500 non-pro is the one that can softmod.

Last edited:
OP
Zerileous

Zerileous

Where might i find these omega drivers, i would not mind changing them. Can you explain to me why some people are flashing bios to 9700 and some are flashing to 9700Pro? Why are these bios's able to OC while the 9500 Pro bios is not?

Duke Blackfist

yes, you do need to flash to bios to unlock the card. You'll need:

a flashing util, such as atiFlash: http://www.3dchipset.com/files/bios/ati/flash/atiflash.zip

An overclocking utility, such as...
Powerstrip: http://www.3dchipset.com/files/utilities/ps347425.zip
RivaTuner: http://www.3dchipset.com/files/utilities/rt20142.zip
RadClocker: http://www.3dchipset.com/files/utilities/ati/radclk1801d.zip
or anything else from any other site that takes your fancy.

A new (unlocked bios):
This is the important bit. The bios you'll need will depend on what memory your card has.
If it's Hynix, you'll need Warp11's bios: http://www.3dchipset.com/files/bios/ati/95p128.zip

If it's any other memory, like infineon (I think) you'll need the darkmage bios: http://tric.topcities.com/

Some words of advice: Be careful when flashing. It's a dos utility, so have all the files you need like the new bios and the util itself ready in an easily accessible directory. If you screw up while flashing, the card might be useless until you flash the old bios back again. Back up the old bios first and keep it safe. If you have a pci graphics card then you'll be able to use that to flash the old bios back on if your card gets screwed. Otherwise you can make a bootdisk with the atiflash util and original bios on it that will automatically flash the card without you having to do anything (so if the card stops displaying, just put the disk in and reboot).

One last thing it took me a while to figure out: when flashing you'll have to force the flash (I think the parameter is "/f") because the old and new bios's won't match.

Remeber to let us know how you get on!

Rezin777

If I remember correctly, the 9700 pros could overclock from the factory. Perhaps this is why some people are using the 9700 pro BIOS. Like I said above, after I rechecked the title of the thread, 9500 pros won't softmod.

If you plan on overclocking your card, I recommend you find out what kind of memory your card uses and download the appropriate BIOS. These are the same as the original BIOS in every way, except that they allow clock frequency changes.

Flashing the BIOS is not really a big deal, and the gains are well worth it. You should check your memory first because there is a different BIOS for each type of memory that was used on this card. Some people have had problems with their flashes and I suspect this is the reason.

OP
Zerileous

Zerileous

ok, well ill pop her open sometime and figure out the mem. I am wondering how one would go about making a revert type boot disk. Also in the DOS utility, how would i use it with win XP Pro? Would i go with the rout of the dos emulator that is basic for XP or would i need to do something else?

Duke Blackfist

Zerileous said:
ok, well ill pop her open sometime and figure out the mem. I am wondering how one would go about making a revert type boot disk. Also in the DOS utility, how would i use it with win XP Pro? Would i go with the rout of the dos emulator that is basic for XP or would i need to do something else?

You can start your machine in command prompt mode when it boots. You need to press F5 or F8, I don't remember which so I usually just hammer both as it boots :D . That gets you to the menu where you choose safe mode/normal mode/command prompt, etc.

It's been a long time since I did this, but I think to make the bootdisk, you need to format a normal windows bootdisk, then put the original bios and atiflash util on the disk, and edit the autoexec file so that it runs the atiflash util, pointing to the location of the bios on the floppy. so I think it would say something like:
"@echo off
cls
atiflash -f -p 0 [location of original bios.bin]" ("f" is to force flash).
Although I could be wrong about this.

Once you've done this you can test your bootdisk by booting with it before you do anything else to the bios, so you'll be able to see if it works.

there is a guide by super nintendo here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178819

He says that you need to make 2 boot disks, one "contingency" disk as described above, and one for the proceedure of flashing your new bios, but I was able to flash the new bios on from the hard disk, so I didn't bother making 2 disks.
Good Luck!

ColtIce said:
can't you use a riva tuner patch script to circumvent the overclocking protection?

As far as I know, there are no windows overclocking utils that can bypass the lock in the bios.

edit: I'm not sure what a "riva tuner patch script" is, so maybe you're right :) but I've always been told that there is only one way to unlock these cards

Evnas

Duke Blackfist said:

You can start your machine in command prompt mode when it boots. You need to press F5 or F8, I don't remember which so I usually just hammer both as it boots :D . That gets you to the menu where you choose safe mode/normal mode/command prompt, etc.

There is no Command Prompt with Windows XP, as its not based off DOS like previous versions of Windows (not to mention DOS doesnt read NTFS partitions, which is XP's mainstay)

Duke Blackfist

You are, of course, correct Evnas. I aplogise.

I was able to flash my 9500pro without having to put everything on a floppy. I think maybe I made a dos bootdisk, but I didn't need to put everything on it as my primary partition was FAT32, so I must have been able to access it.

Zerileous, the best thing is probably if you just follow Super Nintendo's guide exactly. As Evnas pointed out, what I said about being able to get to the command prompt from the menu as you boot was completely wrong.

Blueskies, I'm not sure about 9600pros at all, sorry.

ColtIce

Disabled
SoftR9x00 patch script for the Catalyst 2.0 and higher allows you to unlock 8 pixel pipelines on RADEON 9500 based boards and turn any 128-bit RADEON 9500 into RADEON 9500PRO and any 256-bit RADEON 9500 into RADEON 9700PRO. SoftR9x00 also allows you to perform reverse modification and to convert RADEON9500PRO/9700(PRO) to RADEON 9500. Additionally, SoftR9x00 scripts allow forcing RADEON 9800PRO capabilities on any RADEON9500(PRO)/9700(PRO) board. The script can be also used to block driver-level overclocking protection on RADEON 9500PRO and RADEON 9700 boards.

i did a copy/paste from the riva tuner read me.its worth a try if you don't want to flash the bios.the worst that could happen is it not work.

*edit* the last line of the copy/paste is what i think is important.i also want to add that this worked for my bro-in-laws BBA 9700pro