• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking, very high temps, but..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baris_

Hello,

I'm currently trying to overclock my Q9550. I have already had a post about having high temps. I have applied TIM, and using stock cooler. On default clocks I get about ~75C after 1 hours of prime95. Now. Prime95 stresses my CPU cores for 100%. I need this overclock because I'm playing on a bad GPU atm (not the one in my signature) to get a stable solid fps. I only play Counter-Strike: Source atm. I just played deathmatch for an hour, and my temps, while playing this game at default clocks is only ~45C. Let's say a maximum of 50C. I can easily overclock a wee bit, even if with prime95 tests would give me temps of 80-85 which are obviously not good. But CSS might only give me 55C, if that. Is it smart to do this? And trust me, I only play CSS. No other thing I do, stresses my CPU.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I don't really have a part in my BIOS where I can change the timings of my RAM, the only thing I can modify is the speed.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Keep it under 72C. Did you put the cooler on properly? Meaning is it seated properly?

When you get to 80C or so, is that heatsink at least warm to the touch?

While under load in P95, if you try pushing on the heatsink will the temps drop?

OP
B

baris_

Keep it under 72C. Did you put the cooler on properly? Meaning is it seated properly?

When you get to 80C or so, is that heatsink at least warm to the touch?

While under load in P95, if you try pushing on the heatsink will the temps drop?

I'll try that right now.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I'll try that right now.
Remember Realtemp records high/low temps so just have that running while you test and play that game to get accurate temps instead of your increasing guesses. But if we said under 72C is fine, 55C is fine as well. It shouldnt be getting that warm though stock

What does your case airflwo look like as far as fan configuration? The generally accepted best methods are:

Front/sides=intake
top/rear=exhaust

Have more exhaust than intake.

OP
B

baris_

Remember Realtemp records high/low temps so just have that running while you test and play that game to get accurate temps instead of your increasing guesses. But if we said under 72C is fine, 55C is fine as well. It shouldnt be getting that warm though stock

What does your case airflwo look like as far as fan configuration? The generally accepted best methods are:

Front/sides=intake
top/rear=exhaust

Have more exhaust than intake.

I used force pressing on it, no change. I'm pretty sure its seated well. This is a very old case. It has one exhaust fan in the back, and thats all it is. The side has a grill and a tube like sort of thing in range of the exhaust fan on the CPU, but no individual fan. There is no intake. Yeah, of course I will use realtemp to see how CSS progresses when overclocking. I'll be using CSS as my stresstest then.

A question on RAM. I went into the bios and all I could find was to edit the speed of the RAM. Not the timings or anything else. Just the speed and the voltages of course. Should those be increased right now? Or should I first try to get to like 3,2ghz.

I'm very new and I found this:

FSB: 333 Mhz (multi=8.5)
RAM: 400 Mhz

It stated 800 Mhz though. So that means it's 1:2?

When I increased 333 Mhz to 350 Mhz (which is exactly 5%)

RAM options automatically increased as well. And it stated 840 Mhz (which is exactly a 5% increase as well)

Looks like I don't have to edit them? It is automatically?

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
CSS is not a stress test. P95 is and thats what you should use (notice the guide mentions nothing about CSS or a game??? :)). If your temps are out of control on those stress testing apps, then you really shouldnt be overclocking as your temps are already close to being out of control as is.

Old case is going to hurt. Just one exhaust fan + overclocking is not the best environment for it.

OP
B

baris_

CSS is not a stress test. P95 is and thats what you should use (notice the guide mentions nothing about CSS or a game??? :)). If your temps are out of control on those stress testing apps, then you really shouldnt be overclocking as your temps are already close to being out of control as is.

Old case is going to hurt. Just one exhaust fan + overclocking is not the best environment for it.

But this game will be the only thing I'm doing. I am running P95, without errors, but the temps get really high. Remember last time I ran it for 6-7 hours. I had temps over 90C. But no errors. Could it give errors at temperatures much lower than that?

I have it on 2,97ghz now and the temps still hover around 45C on CSS. RealTemp stats the max at 48C. P95 might not give errors, but it will run the temps very hot and over 85C. That is not good for my chip, right?

PS: I'm not looking to overclock a lot. Going towards 3.2Ghz will already make my day brighter.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
But this game will be the only thing I'm doing. I am running P95, without errors, but the temps get really high. Remember last time I ran it for 6-7 hours. I had temps over 90C. But no errors. Could it give errors at temperatures much lower than that?

I have it on 2,97ghz now and the temps still hover around 45C on CSS. P95 might not give errors, but it will run the temps very hot and over 85C. That is not good for my chip, right?

PS: I'm not looking to overclock a lot. Going towards 3.2Ghz will already make my day brighter.
Well, thats up to you, and will be just fine. No it certainly wont error out with lower temps. But I would stop stress testing at this point (and overclocking frankly) if you cant test for stability properly (with running that program) and keep your temps under control while doing so.

OP
B

baris_

Well, thats up to you, and will be just fine. No it certainly wont error out with lower temps. But I would stop stress testing at this point (and overclocking frankly) if you cant test for stability properly (with running that program).

Hmm, alright. How about I get a cooler.

Edit: Url didnt work so I'll try this in a different way.

You guys tell me decent coolers from Xigmatek, Scythe and Thermalright and I'll see if they're in there :p

Last edited:
OP
B

baris_

Ditch that stock cooler brah.

I am ditching both the case and the cooler. I think the combination of having actual fans in the case (antec 1200) and a cpu cooler will do the trick.

I found these 2 that seem decent and at a good price:

http://azerty.nl/8-976-189787/xigmatek-hdt-s1283-koeler-voor.html

http://azerty.nl/8-976-52141/thermalright-ultima-90-koeler.html

and this one, a lot more expensive:

http://azerty.nl/8-976-53938/thermalright-ultra-120a-koeler.html

another expensive one, but this one I can keep because this one works on 1366 socket as well. And I'm hoping to get a 1366 cpu in a couple of years. Do coolers last that long?

http://azerty.nl/8-976-239283/xigmatek-balder-sd1283-koeler.html

Last edited:

burebista

Very good price/performance ratio: Scythe Mugen 2.
Another good performance/price ratio: TR Cogage Spirit (a cheap clone of TRUE).
Very good performer: Zalman 10x Flex (but you need a separate 120 mm fan).

Some top performers are Prolimatech Megahalems, TRUE rev.C, Noctua NH-U14D/U12P, TR VenomousX, Zalman 10X for example.
I'm not a big fan for HDT heatsinks on quad's OC'ed (especially on 1156/1366) but you can take a look at CM Hyper 212+, Titan Fenrir for example.

OP
B

baris_

Very good price/performance ratio: Scythe Mugen 2.
Another good performance/price ratio: TR Cogage Spirit (a cheap clone of TRUE).
Very good performer: Zalman 10x Flex (but you need a separate 120 mm fan).

Some top performers are Prolimatech Megahalems, TRUE rev.C, Noctua NH-U14D/U12P, TR VenomousX, Zalman 10X for example.
I'm not a big fan for HDT heatsinks on quad's OC'ed (especially on 1156/1366) but you can take a look at CM Hyper 212+, Titan Fenrir for example.

Thank you for your reply. I will take these into consideration, though TR Cogage Spirit is just for 1366 according to the website. What about the ones I picked out? They're all in the 20's and I really don't want to spend more than that.

OP
B

baris_

A good place to learn a lot about many heat sinks.
http://www.frostytech.com/

And $30 max is setting the bar pretty low, but you aren't cooling a hot i7. So you should be fine.

Thank you for your reply. You've already stated one of my points, but also that its €30,- max which is $41. That should be enough.

I used your website to find some coolers from the top 10 (temperature)

I found Xigmatek HDT-S1283 at a reasonable price; €25,45

Btw: In the picture it shows that the fan extracts the heat either sideways, upwards or downwards, right? That's good because then I'll aim it upwards into the huge 200mm exhaust fan on top of my case, right? That will be a good combination? Or is what I'm saying untrue?

Here is the page and a picture.

http://azerty.nl/8-976-189787/xigmatek-hdt-s1283-koeler-voor.html

I also found this one, it is very very cheap and it seems that according to frostytech it is still a good cooler. I can get it for €18,- and this one has a lot less noise. Here is the review.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2134

Last edited:

3line

I used the HDT-1283 for my opties. I bought them when they were on discount from the egg at about 30 bucks a pop. Xigmatek offers near-thermalright level performance for a reasonable cost, and I think their products are great. If it will fit the case, take the HDT-1283 instead of the 983. The 963 will be noisier in the long run anyway, since 90mm fans need to spin faster to move the same amount of air. Frostytech confirms this:

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2233&page=5

some things to watch out for:

1. The fan standoffs are a pain in the *** to get on. I haven't tried getting them off, but I'd imagine that it's hard enough that it'd be a hassle if you ever need to replace the fan.

2. The base has poor finish, and in my case was gunked up with adhesive from the protective tape. Expect to spend some time polishing if this occurs.

3. The retention mechanism, at least for the AMD sockets, clamps down TIGHT. This compensates a bit for the uneven base.

4. There is no option to mount a second 120mm fan, which would have made this thing amazing.

Last edited:
OP
B

baris_

I used the HDT-1283 for my opties. I bought them when they were on discount from the egg at about 30 bucks a pop. Xigmatek offers near-thermalright level performance for a reasonable cost, and I think their products are great. If it will fit the case, take the HDT-1283 instead of the 983. The 963 will be noisier in the long run anyway, since 90mm fans need to spin faster to move the same amount of air. Frostytech confirms this:

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2233&page=5

some things to watch out for:

1. The fan standoffs are a pain in the *** to get on. I haven't tried getting them off, but I'd imagine that it's hard enough that it'd be a hassle if you ever need to replace the fan.

2. The base has poor finish, and in my case was gunked up with adhesive from the protective tape. Expect to spend some time polishing if this occurs.

3. The retention mechanism, at least for the AMD sockets, clamps down TIGHT. This compensates a bit for the uneven base.

4. There is no option to mount a second 120mm fan, which would have made this thing amazing.

Alright, I guess the 1283 is the one to go for. Is it true though that I can decide myself which way I aim the fan at? Preferably upwards to it aims at the 200mm exhaust fan?