• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking Voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pufflets

Hey, i have a new question.

I have a AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4ghz CPU and ive been wanting to overclock it to 4.1. But one thing im not sure of since im still a newbie. Should i leave the voltage on Auto? or choose a voltage my self.-:shrug:

Dooms101

Definitely choose it yourself, usually when on Auto, the BIOS will choose what it thinks is the 'safest' voltage. But if you want to hit 4.1ghz, you'll probably need 1.4v - 1.45v. Just make sure you have some serious cooling. From what I know, anything over 1.45v will significantly reduce the life of your CPU.

oldbrave

Trust me, if you want 4.1Ghz then you're going to need a fair bit more than 1.45v. I think I can say with some certainty that 1.50v+ will be needed.

QuietIce

Disabled
Hey, i have a new question.

I have a AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4ghz CPU and ive been wanting to overclock it to 4.1. But one thing im not sure of since im still a newbie. Should i leave the voltage on Auto? or choose a voltage my self.-:shrug:
When OC'ing you should run most major settings on manual - even if they're set to the default setting. This keeps the BIOS from changing those settings from one OC to the next. Being new to OC'ing the #1 most important thing to keep track of is CPU load temps. Use Prime95 or OCCT to load the CPU 100% and, if you're using Prime95, use CoreTemp to read the internal CPU temp sensor.
Prime95
OCCT
CoreTemp

Good luck OC'ing ... :)