• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockix noob. Can't run from CD...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

starrwsn

I downloaded Overclockix and burned the files to a CD, but when I put the CD in, it autoruns and just opens up a web document that explains how to setup a Folding Farm. How can I run Overclockix from the CD? I want to test it out, to see if Linux is cool.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
You have to reboot and set your bios to boot from CD-rom instead of HD. Also did you burn an image of the iso file or did you extract it and burn it as a data CD?

OP
S

starrwsn

Arkaine23 said:
You have to reboot and set your bios to boot from CD-rom instead of HD. Also did you burn an image of the iso file or did you extract it and burn it as a data CD?

I extracted the file, then burned it as a data cd.

=ACID RAIN=

Don't run the CD in windows. Boot from it. It will not affect your hard drive or windows, unless you tell it to through several steps.

Oh and yeah, you have to burn it as an image, don't extract anything.

OP
S

starrwsn

So do I open it with WinRAR? or do i just right click the file and send to cd drive?

billb

starrwsn said:
So do I open it with WinRAR? or do i just right click the file and send to cd drive?
Can't burn an iso...but wanna OC...Hmmmm!
Yes, extract the iso then burn it. Nero?

OP
S

starrwsn

billb said:
Can't burn an iso...but wanna OC...Hmmmm!
Yes, extract the iso then burn it. Nero?
lol. It's early. I stated burning the iso in nero 5 min ago.

skab

"Can't burn an iso...but wanna OC...Hmmmm!"
Two totaly untelated things, this forum is for people to LEARN HOW TO do things!
Statements like this give people the impresion that this is a forum only for people who know what they're doing already and this not true!!!

OP
S

starrwsn

Made ISO in Nero on a TDK, But it said Disk Boot Failure. I guess i'll try again.

MRD

Is it a very old pc? Some of them can't boot off a cdrom. Have you booted off a cdrom before on that computer?

OP
S

starrwsn

What file do i make an ISO out of? I can't make an ISO of all the contents that were extracted.

OP
S

starrwsn

bchur83 said:
If I remember right, the original file is an ISO.
This is what i extracted and put onto a cd. But I can't make it an iso because there is no iso file. Maybe i download the wrong thing. Anyone?

Attachments

• CD2.JPG
    CD2.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

skab

You can't burn this as a data cd, what version of NERO are you using? You need to use the "Disc Image" option if it's express.
Windows does not have the support to make an ISO cd by itself so you have to actually use the software that came with your cd burner

MRD

You're making this far harder than it needs to be. Download the iso, burn the iso. There is no extracting involved. Burn as an image. Nero should be able to do it in windows, if not, download Easy CD Creator XP or some other program and that will do it for free.

OP
S

starrwsn

lol. It was to simple to figure out. I'm using it right now but i guess i was making it too complicated. Thanks for the help guys. I'm writing this while using Overclockix as we speak.