• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockix - Pick a Desktop Environment

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

which desktop environment should Overclockix use?

• gnome

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • xfce

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • lxde

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
within the next couple of weeks, i am going to be choosing a desktop environment for overclockix. there will only be one desktop environment in the final distro. i figured the best way to do this would be with a poll to get the most community feedback. when you vote, i would also appreciate a quick post as to why you think that desktop environment should be chosen.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Gnome here too. Right now I'm in a live session with the .005 gnome CD. I added the repos for testing and just finished installing wine, which I'm going to use to finish the WU in-progress from the Debian hdd install.

Edit:

dropped out of live session back to hdd OS, was getting the following error:

Code:
CoreStatus = 63 (99)

which according to the FAHWIKI means:

This error has been noted when switching from one version of the Windows SMP to another. Apparently a WU started with one version of MPI cannot be completed with the other version. If you need to switch versions, use the -oneunit flag to finish the current WU first or discard the active WU.

which is exactly what I did. Will finish up the WU in it's 'native' core.

Last edited:

Jawadali

I've only had very basic experience with Ubuntu and Lubuntu, but LXDE seemed simpler and much lighter-weight to me. Of course, I was testing on a laptop with only 512MB of RAM, so if Overclockix is targeting high-end benching/folding rigs, this may be a non-issue.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
I cast my vote for lxde. Secondary would be xfce.
I like gnome for full blown workstation but not for livecds.

These should be down and dirty versions that get up and get to the point

OP
mbentley

mbentley

so far it is looking pretty strong for gnome. i am going to upload a usb-hdd image tomorrow that includes gnome-core tomorrow which allows for persistence on the same usb drive as the live overclockix file system.

OP
mbentley

mbentley

five more days left to vote! i think i am going to stop updating the lxde version as that obviously isn't going to make a comeback

*pours one out for lxde* :)

OP
mbentley

mbentley

gnome it is

*edit: i'm going to go ahead and lock this thread. if you would like to discuss the desktop environment selection, feel free to do so in the main overclockix thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.