• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overloaded with choices..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oblivi0n

I haven't built a system in about 3 years. It was a P45/E8500 with a HD4850. I sold it off over a year ago as it was not getting used enough.

Well I am looking into building another system which will primarily be used to play GW2, with some LoL as well.

I have narrowed most of my hardware choices down except video card. I am leaning towards a 3570K with an ASRock Extreme4 mobo, 16GB ram, etc. This machine will be paired with either/both a Dell 24" monitor and a Vizio 47" LCD 1080P 120hz TV.

Budget is somewhat a concern. Given my choices on the other hardware - I do not want to spend more than $250-300 at most on the GPU. I was also looking at a cheaper option of a HD7770 at half that price.

How much video card do I really need? I have not liked crossfire in the past, but going the 7770 or similar route would allow me to add another later. Going single 2GB+ gpu at the higher price point seems to make the most sense....but I am conflicted. I don't want to waste money and I want the best bang for the buck I can get.

Thanks!

well the minimum for gw2 says hd3000 intel graphics which isnt much at all id say you are safe with a 7770 or if you can find a used 6xxx series card cheaper id go for that like lets say a 6870 and you can play LOL on integrated so thats not a big deal just depends on if you wanna get any other games like d3

well the minimum for gw2 says hd3000 intel graphics which isnt much at all id say you are safe with a 7770 or if you can find a used 6xxx series card cheaper id go for that like lets say a 6870 and you can play LOL on integrated so thats not a big deal just depends on if you wanna get any other games like d3

Yah I play LoL now on an integrated Geforce 8200. I just don't want to play GW2 with any issues if at possible within my budget. D3 is a possibility.

As a 7770 owner, I can say that it is a great budget card for gaming. With a mild overclock, I can play all the newest games at 60fps at 1080p. However, if you're going for the 120Hz monitor, you won't be getting 120fps on Skyrim, BF3, etc. You'll still hover around 60-75fps.

If you must have a 120Hz monitor and you want to max it out, get something more powerful like a 7850 or 7870 in your price range.

Back