• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P2 Dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lionsgraphics

Registered
Hi guys.
my aunt brought me her old P2 350 mhz.
The reason is it was smelling like melting plastic.
well her mobo CPU and memory was just burnt, and PSU was the reason ( smbdy put it on 230 V )
I changed PSU to Enermax 300 W
Changed mobo to Intel ( not sure of a name or chipset sorry ) that can take any slot pentiums 2 and pentium 3s
Bought P2 400 mhz
and new stick of 64 megs of ram, because she had 64 before.
So I put it all together, got everythin' connected.
Turned on system.
Fan on heatsink works, and floppy makes grrr sound, but CD-drive doesn't work it doesn't open it's tray, connected monitor it didn't show anything, when i overclocked my 1900+ and it didn't POST lamp on monitor was going dull when i was turning computer on.
but now it doesn't even do that.
VIdeo card is some old ATI card.
That's all details, what might be the problem ?
It seems like processor, but the guy on eBay was like it WORKED.

Thanx a lot to everyone who'll reply. and save me some money

Monaco

welcome to the forums, lionsgraphics!

Could be a number of things! First, swap out that graphics card. In fact, remove ANY components that were in the system that fried- from the way you described how that PC died I doubt any part of it survived. Any part of the original PC that was fed 230V, don't even try to use it with the new equipment. Including the monitor! Hopefully you have some backup components to use, or a PC store nearby that is willing to test them out for you.

Try starting the new PC with just the basics installed- CPU, one stick of RAM, the new Enermax, and a video card, nothing else.

OP
L

lionsgraphics

Registered
Thanks a lot monster.
I actually did this today.
one ram
one wire to switch it on
CPU
Video card ( which i'm sure is dead )
it didn't work.
the thing is that it doesn't boot i mean fan on heatsink works but everything else doesn't boot, it doesn't beeps in the beginning, It doesn't turn off when i press it, only when i hold for 4 secs ( it happens when PC doesn't post )
puzzled, very puzzled.
thanks for reply again.

Turando

what kind of erorr di you get? i mean from the internal speaker? as you can usually tell whats wrong from that.

Cheers, Turando

OP
L

lionsgraphics

Registered
One stick of ram, CPU, MOBO, Enermax. and her old video. nothin' happened. same sh*t.
so i put there my OLD video card, GF2 mx 400 i think.
connected to monitor. and it did three loud Beeps from speaker ( you know that small one in case ). it was actually One long and two slightly shorter beeps.
Monitor behaved exactly like it behaved when i o/c'ed my computer too far, nothing shows just lamp on monitor goes dull and normal again nothing showed.
WHen i press the button to turn computer off i don't need to wait for 4 secs like it was before i just press it bam it turned itself off.
hmmmmmm.
So his ATI rage pro is dead too. There goes logic
Any ideas of those mysterious three signals ?
and what else i can try.

Again, thanks a lot for idea.

P.S. Gonna bring her Monitor, and check it with her monitor. Dunno why that would matter but still...

OP
L

lionsgraphics

Registered
great link.
It's impossible, that it's video card, cause umm I just put my GF 2mx400 in there which works 100%.

Monaco

That's a new motherboard, it can't be that slot is dead.

Why not?

It's quite common for a PC component to be broken when you buy it. If I understand you right, you've tried an ATi Rage and a GF2 MX card in the same slot, and neither one worked. To find out for sure if it's the board or the cards, try sticking the GF2 in another machine and see if it works.

Also- have you reset the system CMOS? It's a long shot, but perhaps some setting is keeping your cards from working.

OP
L

lionsgraphics

Registered
no wait
ATI card got burnt speaker didn't even beeped.
nothin' happened AT ALL
GF2, made it do 3 beeps. and it turns off once i press it. don't have to press and wait 4 seconds like it was with ATI in it.
hmm .
sorry for my spontaneous style of writing, never been good at essays Neither on english lang nor on russian.

there's only one jumper. that might be cmos reset jumper

OP
L

lionsgraphics

Registered
i brought her monitor and keyboard, i'll try it tomorrow.
and i hope it'll finally work.

PsycoPhreak

If the original video card was dead when the rest of the system fried...putting it back into the system could have very well damaged the new motherboard...

If you stuck in another card that is known to work and got the beeps indicating a video error, you may not have seated the card all the way in, or, the slot could have been damaged by the toasted card.

PS. the switch on the back of the Psu wouldn't cause any damage to the system if it were set to 230v....that switch is for the input power to the Psu...it just wouldn't have enough power to start the system if it was plugged into a 110~115 outlet, On the other hand..if your house voltage is 230~240 and the switch was set to 110...THEN you'd definetly toast everything..as in that case the Psu would be getting double the input power it needs to run. Any chance somone may have plugged it into a 220~230 outlet with the switch set on 110? many homes have these for large air conditioners/appliances, but usually the plug woudn't fit (but i have seen regular outlets on a 220~230 line, so it is possible.)

OP
L

lionsgraphics

Registered
hmm interesting
uhh PSU was toasting smelled like burning plastic.
it burnt all the chips on 64 mb ram, black spot of burning on Mobo.
it is TOASTED ;-) no doubt.
just the problem is i changed everythin' why it doesn't wanna WORK dammit...