• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p3 600/133 vs p3 800/100, who wins?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marphyre

Registered
Hey, I've got a choice between (as stated in the title) a p3 600 w/ 133 fsb or a p3 800/100 fsb. This is probably just goign to be my lil storage server, but may do a lil more later on down the line. So which do you think would out perform the other? Haven't done any oc'n with either yet, but just us'n stock speeds for now :> Thanks!

Hey, I've got a choice between (as stated in the title) a p3 600 w/ 133 fsb or a p3 800/100 fsb. This is probably just goign to be my lil storage server, but may do a lil more later on down the line. So which do you think would out perform the other? Haven't done any oc'n with either yet, but just us'n stock speeds for now :> Thanks!

depends on what you're using them for...just a server then i'd say higher fsb is better...but overall performance will probably be very similar...

however if you overclock then that depends on the stepping or how high each chip can go....if the 800 can hit 133 fsb or close to it then i'd say that one....

although with good ram (which is cheap) the 600 will likely easily hit 150---maybe higher but probably will run into pci bus problems

are they both coppermines?
as if the 600 isnt, dont even touch the thing....

but in All honesty, i think the 800 will be faster.
the 133FSB will make your MHz about 5-8% faster, so at best (the 600) that would be like a 650MHz P3 on a 100FSB

are they both coppermines?
as if the 600 isnt, dont even touch the thing....

but in All honesty, i think the 800 will be faster.
the 133FSB will make your MHz about 5-8% faster, so at best (the 600) that would be like a 650MHz P3 on a 100FSB

1st...i agree it must be a 600eb...coppermine with 256 kb...not 512 kb cache because the 512 kb cache doesn't run at full speed...

2nd...it depends on what you're doing seti at 600/133 will be about the same speed as 800/100...in my experience 10 mhz fsb=30-50 mhz chip speed...thus they are not that much different...but for overclocking...i'd say the 800 UNLESS it is a 1st generation stepping...

Wow...wasn't expecting such quick responses...well, the 600e is a slot1 (half speed 512k cache :/ ) and the 800 is a socket 370. Well, I went back in the other room looking through my junk, and found the answer to my question: an 800eb! (133fsb, socket 370). Even better it's a sl4mb, which in the database has some pretty good results. Came back in here all excited...put it in the slotket and put it in, welp the slotket doesn't work anymore :< So, stuck with the 600 for now til I find another cheap slotket...Thanks for all the responses though! Pretty interesting stuff

Back