• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P3 700E Meltdown, please help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McNuggets

Hi, recently I'm experiencing random lockups/reset in windows and more frequently in games, I would be able to play for a minute and the system resets or freezes on me, even when I back it down to 700, the system would refuse to boot until it's warmed up for a minute or two!! I guess this happened eversince I upped my voltage to 2.05 and had it burn-in (w/ prime95) for 2 days first at 700, and then at 966. Highest SYSTEM temperature recorded was 42 degrees, I don't have the device to measure the CPU directly, do you think I could have overdone it a bit? Currently running at 466 and I would be able to work and play longer, but I didn't buy this POS to run underclocked. Is my CPU malfunctioning? Please help!!!:confused:

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
First off, welcome to the Forums!!!

OK, are you still running at 2.05V or did you stop doing that after burning in? Too much voltage, even if temps are kept under control, can kill a chip, but I don't think that amount for 2 days would do it. Also, how long have you run the chip, and how long have you run it overclocked (if the time is different for the amount of time you've had it)? Also, what voltage do you run at from day to day?

OP
McNuggets

McNuggets

Thanks, I brought it back down to [email protected] but it would still lockup in 3D games everynow and then. The chip is nine months old but I only starting burning/oc'ing 3 months ago, I had it running stable [email protected] for awhile but after I pulled off slot 1 voltage trick I pushed it to [email protected] burning and then back off a bit to 1.95. I have some solder left over on pins B120 and B121 after a failed attempt at the trick, I wonder if this is causing the lockups. After reading some of the forum posts I also tried [email protected]. The most burning I've done is 2 days straight. What I want to know is what is considered a damaged chip? Does it have to cease function absolutely or could it be like my case where there're random lockups and chip failing to run at default speed?

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
If a chip cannot run at it's default speed, then yes, it is considered damaged. That solder could be what is doing it, if it's making contact with any other pins. I don't think that amount of time of running an OC'ed chip would kill it, but you never know. If you got a boxed chip, you could try an RMA to Intel because it would still be under warranty. If it was OEM you'd have to discuss your options with the retailer.