• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 1.5ghz?????????????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pnx

Well i'm kinda new at this but i've read severel tuturials about overclocking and have decided to try. As you all know the p4 come with the multiplier factor locked so the only way to overclock is incresing the FSB. My problem is that when i increse the FSB and after regulate the AGP and PCI frequencies my pc don't boot. I've tried to increase the core voltage but it still doesn't work. Any sugestions would be apreciated.

By the way just to check what's the tollerance of the AGP and PCI frequencies i know that Agp works at 66 Mhz and Pci at 33Mhz but how much can i increase that value and how will it affect the memory function.

Thx Anyway
:mad:

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
There could be a number of things causing your PC not to boot. First off, what FSB are you trying to boot your PC at? I wouldn't take too big of a jump... maybe take it to 110MHz FSB to start off with and see if that works, then increase speed little by little from there.

What kind of motherboard are you using? Certain chipsets allow you to lock your PCI and AGP at 33/66MHz respectively so you don't have to worry about it. Most PCI devices and hard drives start to malfunction when the PCI bus reaches around 37-38MHz.

What kind of your cooling are you using? Those older Willamette P4's put out a lot of heat. You might not get very far with stock cooling.

David

Forums Super Moderator
As far as I am aware P4 1.5GHz CPUs are very poor for overclocking. Depending on how large your attempted FSB adjustment was it maybe just cant take it.

OP
P

Pnx

Sorry i forget to tell what motherboard i was using i have a little oldie Abit BW7 and the problem starts when i lock the pcu/agp frequencies when i do that he simply don't boot. Tonight i'll try again and tomorrow i'll post the maximum FSB i could reach.
About the cooling i'll have to take care of that later i'm still using the original cooler.
Thx jazztrumpet216 and David

Last edited:

Foxie3a

Normal Member
I have a P4 1.5 willy, with Nanya PC2100 ram and I was able to get it to 1.68ghz I think. That's pretty good for Nanya. And my cooling is a $2 heatsink that I've modded. I get 100-120F idle-max load.

So you are on Rambus then, right?

Your RAM might need more voltage. also, I think that I had to put my Vcore up .25v in order to increase it by 1mhz FSB..they make the stock voltages just enough to get by...

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
Foxie3a said:
I have a P4 1.5 willy, with Nanya PC2100 ram and I was able to get it to 1.68ghz I think. That's pretty good for Nanya. And my cooling is a $2 heatsink that I've modded. I get 100-120F idle-max load.

So you are on Rambus then, right?

Your RAM might need more voltage. also, I think that I had to put my Vcore up .25v in order to increase it by 1mhz FSB..they make the stock voltages just enough to get by...

No. He's running an i845 chipset. He is running non-DDR SDRAM.

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
Foxie3a said:
then maybe his SD needs a little more juice?

Possibly, if he's using PC100. If he's using PC133, I think it should be able to handle it.

I'm not even entirely sure the PCI/AGP frequencies can be locked on that chipset. I think you have a divider selection, and that's it. I'd just leave that on "auto" unless it doesn't work. I never messed with that unless I had a problem.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
That was said in the third post, do I need to have a link to my thread about people not reading the whole thread?(Not directed to you, not a flame).

Yes, poor overclockers compared to the northwood..But I like my 1.5 Its very fast.

OP
P

Pnx

Yesterday i've sucessfully increase my FSB to 115 Mhz increasing my cpu frequency to 1,7 i've also had to increase my core voltage to 7,5V. After rebboting the second time, the bios gave me an error but it was not related 2 the FSB increase, because i've tried to flash my bios and i wasn't successfull, i'll try that later.
I've also have 1 more question i've read in many forums and i still don't get it about the memories how do they work will i have to change anything on them since i have increase the FBS???
Thx you all
:D

By the way my board supports pci/agp lock and i'm using sdramm 133

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
Pnx said:
Yesterday i've sucessfully increase my FSB to 115 Mhz increasing my cpu frequency to 1,7 i've also had to increase my core voltage to 7,5V. After rebboting the second time, the bios gave me an error but it was not related 2 the FSB increase, because i've tried to flash my bios and i wasn't successfull, i'll try that later.
I've also have 1 more question i've read in many forums and i still don't get it about the memories how do they work will i have to change anything on them since i have increase the FBS???
Thx you all
:D

By the way my board supports pci/agp lock and i'm using sdramm 133

When you hear about someone changing their ram ratio, usually from 1:1 to something else like 5:4, what they're doing is trying to get the ram to slow down below the speed of the FSB (you only need to do this if your ram can't handle the high FSB). To figure out the speed the ram is running at when you change the ratio, simply take the system's FSB, divide it by 5, and then multiply it by 4. You then have the speed that the ram is running at. Is that what your question was?

Since you are using PC133, I doubt you will have to change any settings regarding the ram unless you somehow manage to exceed 133 MHz FSB with it. It *should* be able to take anything under that without a problem.

Congrats on your first overclock. Welcome to the addiction!

stamasd

Foxie3a said:
That was said in the third post, do I need to have a link to my thread about people not reading the whole thread?(Not directed to you, not a flame).

Yes, poor overclockers compared to the northwood..But I like my 1.5 Its very fast.

I don't see where in the 3rd post it says the 1.5 are Willamette. I was making the point that they are poor overclockers because of the type of core, and that not much can be done about it.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
I tried OCing my Athlon 850..and when I put my PC133 below 133 it wouldn't boot.. I had to keep it at 133, and increase it from there.

And that's good, my 1.5 could only do 114mhz FSB

Hosticker

Registered
p4 1.5 running at 1729 at 115 fsb
after reading these forums i upped the cpu voltage one setting, set the fsb at 118 and got 1770 but didnt like the heats. oh yea mobo asus p4t-e

OP
P

Pnx

Mine doesn't work with FSB over 115 it becomes completely unstable when th OS is booting he automaticaly shuts down, it's probably because of my board