• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 1.6 gig northwood idling @ 56C with Stock HSF!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bdf24

I'm building a system for a guy at work (My first P4 system). Well I got a Retail CPU figuring I'd get the stock CPU fan with it. Which for an average home user that will never OC it should be fine. Well the stock HSF had the thermal pad on it. I figured for stock speed it would be fine. I threw it all together and started it up to see if it would post. It did fine and when I went into the bios to check the temp it's idling away at 56C! WOW. I know it's just a Stock HSF but should'nt it be cooling better then that?
I'm not going to throw an after market HSF on as it's not my system & This guy has no interest in OC'en. I'm thinking of maybe taking off the thremal pad and cleaning off the HSF and reapplying some ASII. What do you think?

yeah slap some ASII it will decrease the temperatures by around 5 degrees. What motherboard is this? because some of the motherboard readings are incorrect and some run hot.

I definitly concur with Cooler666, Scrape off that thermal pad....even cheap thermal goop (the white stuff) will do a better job than that intel pad.

I have several packages of that white goop (pm me if you need a package) But if you have Arctic Silver thermal paste, USE IT !!

This is the cheapest place to get Arctic Silver Products bar none(free shipping also is Shweet)

http://www.svcompucycle.com/thermalgrease.html

I'll slap some ASII on there then. I just can't believe Intel send's them out running that hot with the stock HSF.

I'm using an Abit TH7-II for a motherboard, and Kingston RDram, If that's help's at all.

The size of the stock HSF is huge too. It's bigger then my SK6! Fan really suck's though. it only run's at around 2300 rpm. The thing's so quite you can't even tell it's on. I'm not used to that.

CyberFed said:
hey wanna buy my stick p4 hsf? i have no use for it :D
Like I would actually pay for a stock P4 HSF :p

Well I scraped off the thermal pad and cleaned off the HSF. I then applied some ASII. I started up the PC and let it idle for about 30 minutes. The temp never rose above 45C.

I ran a few tests with my 1.8a(at default speed) when I got it and the hottest it got running Folding was 42*c with the intel heatsink....which is pretty quiet

(PS i scraped that intel crud off and used AS3, even AS3 'unsettled' produced low temps at load)

With some good case cooling I could probobly drop the temp a lot more. But it's not my PC. I'm not getting payed a whole lot to build it. So I'm not going to go cutting and modding the case for better airflow. I think what it's at now will be perfectly fine for defualt speed.

The TH7II is known to run hot, there's a thread about this in the Intel motherboard Abit section.

Yeah I did see that thread after I started this one. I think I may have even left a post in it.

the hell man!

i ordered a 4sda+ and 1.6A with 512 pc2700 cl2.5 Samsung.
no one can say me if it's great for overclocking.i never saw a well oc'ed system with 4sda+.

i made a Bet with someone and HAVE TO REACH 2.4
nice would be fsb @166

Back