• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 1.8 ABit bd7II -willy- Safe temps ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hendrik-Jan

SETUP:

ABIT BD7II
P4 1.8 (willemette)
256 DDR
Nvida MX2 400

OC to (only!) 2.0 (steady) at temps of 54 - 67 degrees C

I read on the Intel page the following:

sSpec Number SL4WV
Processor Frequency 1.80 GHz
CPUID String 0F0Ah
Package Type OOI 423-pin
Core Voltage 1.75V
Bus Speed 400 MHz

--HERE----

Thermal Design Power 66.7W
Core Stepping C1
Max Junction Temp 78°C

-----------

L2 Cache Size 256K
Die Size 0.18 micron
L2 Cache Speed 1.80 GHz
ECC/non-ECC ECC
Bus/Core Ratio 18.0
Boxed/OEM Processor? OEM

Does This mean that i can safely go to 78 degrees on my willy (sounds nasty that, lol)

What are the safe Temps to run it at.

If anybody else has 1.8 willy specs please share em with me

batboy

Senior Moment
Max temp is when it fries. You want to run much lower for longevity and stability, especially if you're overclocking. Those temps that you are seeing are too high, even for a Willy. Better think about using Arctic Silver and another case fan or two, possibly even a better CPU cooler.

OP
H

Hendrik-Jan

Right now i´m running at 47 deg. Have cpu fan at 5200 and a case fan of 1800.

man i got suckered bad on these 1.8´s feel like i got a ferrari with a vw engine.

What i am interested in though are USer exp. with heat and lastability. If there is a chart of sorts. at some hpage.

Thanx to the swift reply batboy your seems powers are in tune!

Hawk

TOOO hot. be sure your HS is seated properly. Use some AS3. With that mild over clock I would guess there is a problem. this chip should run 200 over without significant heat gain. As I said try to reseat HS. Good luck.

OP
H

Hendrik-Jan

Really... grrrr... ok it does not help that i live in Rio de Janeiro in Ipanema and the normal temp fluctuates at 30 -37 these days. so thats the reason for the heat.. considering... well i guess ill try
keeping it down on normal web stuff..

Right now my case is at 42 and my spu is at 48... mmmm

ok i´ll knock it down.

Also i have tried a number of settings and perhaps the bad heat comes from my setup. here is my config.

111/ 74/ 37mhz
ext. clock /3
x18
+5 core
Dram 2.6v

ok íll step down the core and the dram and see what happens.

and to think that i was running at about 55-60 for a while.....

remeber mine is not a Northwood.

batboy

Senior Moment
Yes, the Willamettes do run a little hotter than the Northwoods, but I'd try to keep the CPU load temp down below about 50 to 55 degrees C (the cooler the better). What do you have for cooling right now? Probably just the stock Intel retail heatsink, right? At least remove the heatsink and remove that crappy worthless black heat pad gunk, then apply some Arctic Silver thermal paste. It would be better to invest in a better CPU cooler though. What do you have for case cooling? I'd mount an 80 mm fan or two in the front (or side) of the case to pull in fresh air and another one in the back (or top) to exhaust hot air out. Sound like you need better case ventilation.

OP
H

Hendrik-Jan

OK... I did some tweeking and i have a much better result.

new setup.

fsb 111
clock fixed at 33
x18
standard
Dram 2.6v
Room temp
25 - 28 deg C
CPU TEMP
47 - 48 deg C
Case Temp
42 - 47 deg C

(that´s better !!!! )

Is it better to shine the copper heat sink or dull it with brillo etc.

well i shined it

I have a fan slightly larger than a 80mm fan running at
1.962-2.000 exhauisting hot air through back vent,
set near the standard CPU fan (4.963-5.000)

I left a CD bay latch open and stuck some filter for dust in the fornt and it "sucks" ok , (piece of tissue sticks to the grating)

When i run a tough lightwave render the temp soars to 59-61
but i can live with that becuase i´m not always rendering.

Still.

I think i have come some way to getting a better system at low temps. Thanks batboy and the rest of you.

I feel impotent with my willy but i did come from an OLD P300
so Im not that hurt´. anyway once the dosh rolls in i´ll get me a good North. Considering that 4 months ago I did not even know that OC existed and that this is the first pc i totally set up.
wel... I´m chuffed and proud. but i do feel a little like Dr. Frankenstien when he asked...

Q) IGOR WHERE DID YOU GET THE BRAIN FROM....

A) I THINK IT WAS ABBY SOMETHING... OH YES ABBY NORMAL WILLEMETTE.

CANT WAIT TO GET A GOOD BRAIN !!!!!!

THANX AGAIN !!!!!

batboy

Senior Moment
Good job. Yes that is much better. Lapping the heatsink (shining it) is usually a good thing. Your system should be fairly good until you can afford a Northwood. Glad I could help... enjoy.