• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.0Ghz A real piece of crap!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rave

Registered
Just a little story.

I have read a few times on the net that people may not be happy when purchasing OEM pc's eg: Dell Compaq etc. Well I can completely vouche for that!

I had my new work PC delivered a few weeks ago. Here are its specs.
P4 2.0A ghz 400mhz FSB
512mb PC2100
Geforce 2 Mx 200
LiteOn CD-RW 48x12x48

It running on a dodgy Compaq MB. No soft bios.

I have benchmarked this baby to death and it is a real scrubber. I have the PC listed below at home and it absolutely wallops this thing.

The moral of this story is becareful what you buy from an OEM I don't really care either way I don't play many games here at work so the performance does not effect me much. But if you are looking for a beast these guys use cheap components so don't expect too much. Build your own it's the only way to go...

OP
R

Rave

Registered
So what if it's a C1? What do you recommend? Ripping it out and using it? I have a BO-Shrink 2.4ghz b which is much more impressive than the 2.0A C1 or not I would think? How would I tell if it is C1 steping anyway?

Do you think this baby would do over 2880?

toastedzergling

If it's a C1 you can always test how high it can go. There is a lucky guy on this forum gets his c1 1.8a to 3.2G at default voltage.

OP
R

Rave

Registered
Yer I read that.. seems a bit hard to believe though. Anyhow how do I check the stepping? Is it written on the CPU?

EgeWorks

d00d, don't knock the 2.0a just because your one might suck. I'm not drooling over mine but it gets the job done for now (see sig). True they have a high multiplier, but it is still the luck of the draw if they can OC well or not.

OP
R

Rave

Registered
I am not knocking the cpu, just the whole OEM package. Saying that it is a cheap system and not worthy of a purchase by anyone who wants to o/c or get any rewards from good hardware.

kamilkluczewski

I Second that motion!

For ultimate home PC allways build your own. Built my uncle the EXACT same PC as mine. Piece by piece, everything from memory to vid card, to Ram, the only diff, he got Logitech Key+Mouse+Speakers, i got Microsoft Mouse+Key, Camb Sound Speakers. Oh and he has the ANTEC value case and i have the 21" server case with 430Tru Power.

Here is the funny thing though, I'll get 13,455 on 3dMark2001 SE. His machine with the exact same windows image as mine and the EXact same BIOS settings gets 14,300???? This is a puzzle beyond me. CPU? VID? Whats causing me to loose almost a 1000 points?

Sorry off subject, about OEM's not only DELL uses crap parts, we have a IBM at work with 2.4G, 512DDR, Gf3-200, some other junk in it, and it only get 6900 on 3dMark2001 SE. Now they must be doing something really wrong.

God Speed in OC'ing. :rolleyes:

Kam

Lord Moreira

Banned till 9/16/03
UR FIRST MISTAKE WAS GETTING INTEL (had to go there:argue: )
UR SECOND WAS NOT BUILDING IT URSELF IF U HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE TO DO SO
good luck with ur next INTEL :D

Daemonfly

Here at work, they bought a TON of new IBM NetVistas and they SUCK. For the chip & ram thats in them, they should perform a lot better. If you play an audio CD, it skips whenever you do anything else, click start button, etc... many other problems. They're just cheaply made PCs.

FIZZ3

EgeWorks said:
d00d, don't knock the 2.0a just because your one might suck. I'm not drooling over mine but it gets the job done for now (see sig). True they have a high multiplier, but it is still the luck of the draw if they can OC well or not.

I noticed your 2.0A CPU at 2.92 is *well* above average though. =)

EgeWorks

I noticed your 2.0A CPU at 2.92 is *well* above average though. =)

Yeah it's ok, I aimed for 2.8, but I was hoping for a stable 3.0. So 2.9 is nice in between.

My worst PC ever was some cheap OEM brand PII 300, I had nightmares with that lump of crap for two years!!! I still have the CPU in a dually now (no OC tho). Oh-and i've converted the case into something new and nifty (still a secret but when it's done i'll post some nice pics).

FIZZ3

Wommalong said:

:eh?: So c1 steping is good... maybe the best (Intel) right?:eh?:

It's the latest stepping, so it has the best chances of clocking high *in theory*, as all newest steppings have. There has been a lot of luck of the draw involved with these P4 C1's so far judging from user reports here.

Indyxc1

My 2.0A runs at 2710 mhz on air cooling. 1.6V.

I don't know what the 2.0A gets such a bad rap. I think 1.8a seem like a better overclocker, because there a lot more of them out there due to the price.

Peter