• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.4 800 FSB (w/HT) or 400 FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guppie

So, is there a verdict out there as to whether or not we throw down the extra $30 for 800MHz FSB w/ HT or stay with the original 400MHz FSB w/o HT? Is HT going to make a noticeable (gaming) difference? I don't do any business apps and my idea of multitasking is email/web surfing/listening to mp3's and occasional home video editing with my miniDV cam.

If you hadn't noticed, I'm using my system mainly as a gaming rig (oh, and an email station for my wife).

I plan on using the same components in my sig (Kingston RAM, SBLive, IEEE card instead of NIC), cuz I'm getting myself an Asus P4P800 mobo.

Also, I've noticed that the back panel on my current ATX case can't accomodate the extra ports of the P4P800 mobo, so I'm going to need a new case/PSU - someone please make several economical reccomendations... or tell me where I can find the proper back panel.

If it is possible to just get a new back panel (which would be great, how about a good reliable PSU)?

Long story short, it seems my generic PSU has fried my mobo and CPU and I'm going to send them back...

Thanks guys!

Maxvla

well my case preferences are definately not economical so i'll let someone else handle that.

the HT chip will be far superior in every way to the 400fsb chip. if you buy the 2.4a i will personally come to your house and rid it of whatever you are smoking. ;) j/k

as far as a psu i would suggest a 350W or better Sparkle or Antec. don't buy generic or low end brand name.

batboy

Senior Moment
If you're getting a new P4P800 mobo, then yeah, go for the 800 bus CPU. The HT helps a little, but the high FSB is the real winner. Most mobos come with the back plate for the ports included. At least the last several Abits I've owned or put together for friends sure did.

OP
guppie

guppie

wow, you guys don't sleep either?

By the way, sorry about that, I meant to say the 533MHz FSB (not 400MHz FSB). Anyway, I was reading a thread and "BaldHeadedDork" basically answered my question - 800FSB w/ HT isn't much to write home about and I'm better off using that extra $30 towards a quality PSU. However, as always, I do appreciate your input.

Do you guys know how I go about in RMA'ing my fried CPU w/ Intel? I'm going to contact them tomorrow morning, but should I go ahead and purchase a new CPU from NewEgg or just wait for the RMA to come back (how long is there turnover time)?

I'm waiting to see what you guys say, so I can place my order for the P4P800 at NewEgg...

Oh yeah, FYI, the "retail" mobo comes with the proper back panel! SWEET. So I can keep my existing case. So, where should I look for best deal on PSU?

batboy

Senior Moment
sangapski said:
if your planning on getting a new CPU/ P4P800 mobo anyways
might as well go with the "C" chip

Yeah, that's what I'm saying too. Between both the higher FSB and the HT, it's worth the extra money. The HT by itself is probably not worth it, but that extra FSB will really help performance a lot.