• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.4b will not go over 2880 why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rave

Registered
I have a P4 2.4b
FPO/Batch L224C063
Version C14111-001
Prod Code BX80532PE2400SL6D7

This is one of the B-O shrink stepping models with SL6D7

Is this a good one for o/c?

I am using a Asus P4S533-E mb with fsb @ 160 with the CPU at +1.6v and Samsung 2700 DDR @ 400 with +2.9v

This gives me 2880 with DDR400 and runs fine.

My problem is when I crank up the FSB more say 161 or 162 or 163 etc... it stays at 2880 and boots like that. When I make it 166 FSB will not boot due to CPU overclocking the MB voice says. How do I make it change to 161 or 162 etc???

I am sure that it will do it at 161 ???

Any help here would be great, thanx in advance...

Last edited:
Any ideas guys come on!!!! Why does the cpu lock in at 2880?

try markin ur ddr mem down a grade to say 2100, this is only temporarily, then try for 162 if it works ur mem is holdin u back

Thanx I will try that anymore ideas are welcome...but the problem is that is does not reject it by not booting it seems to just lock it in and then boot.

I have tryed mem at 220 etc and it fails mem test according to asus mb voice. But it does not fail when i try to make it 202 it just boots at the old speed of 2880 with 160 fsb?

No change, will boot with the mem even at 204 and the cpu much slower. Say 2500. Using a diffrent ram ratio.

Not sure but I don't think this board supports locking of PCI BUS. You might try kicking the Vc up a bit.

I think the problem might be your board.

Larva is our resident SiS guru, and I've heard him say you cannot get that SiS chipset past 160FSB.

Might want to dig through his posts or drop him a PM for more info.

BHD

I was curious so I dug around myself. The problem is your board.

"Old man needs your overclocking help!" :

Originally posted by Larva:
Over the course of time boards like P4SDX may prove to be the hot setup but it's hard to recommend SiS chipsets based on my experience with them. My 645DX based P4S533 Asus is a solid board, but limited in that FSB in excess of 150MHz is not stable. The board claims 166MHz capability, but does not live up to that promise. The SiS successor, the 648 has proven no more adept at extreme FSB. I really like the 645DX for applications that don't benefit from truly high FSB, but mine doesn't match this description. My 1.6a would likely operate at substantially higher clock rates on one of the many quality 845e boards such at the Abit BD7-II, IT7, or the Asus P4B533.

Sorry to break the bad news.

BHD

Yea, sounds like a board issue. Are your clock generators warm?

But still, 2880 is a great OC, my 2.4 doesnt get past 2.75.

Generators warm?

What does that mean? I am able to maintain 30 degree celcius for both the MB and CPU when idle (22+ room temp) with stock cpu cooling 3 case fans.

At full load the cpu gets to 46 - 48 degrees celcius and the mb around the 45 degrees.

I am almost sure that with a diffrent board if thats what it is I would be able to go higher than 2880.

The thing is that I do not experience any instability at 160 FSB. Just that when I change that to 161 the cpu clock does not change at POST? The mem however does perform at a higher speed even though the cpu stays at 2880....

Back