• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.4C HT or P4-M 1.8A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

parallax

well here´s the deal, I can´t decide between these 2

1. i can get a mobile 1.8a (C1 stepping SL6FH) for around $80, I plan on pushing that at least up to 2.4-2.5ghz ;)
2. i can also get a 2.4c for $240, and that would go up to 3.3ghz

question is: which one is best bang for the buck? heh. the 2.4c would have HT and more speed, but with the 1.8a i´d save money and get a better vidcard or soundcard or something.

note: both would go on an abit IC7 board with twinmos DDR400 memory

thanks all

OP
P

parallax

thanks man

i´m getting a 9500pro but i think i can get a 9700 non-pro instead, and an audigy card instead of the integrated audio :D

OP
P

parallax

well i´m in spain and we don´t even have 2.4c's yet, and i don´t think they´ll be below $240 when they come out

i agree HT is sweet but dunno if it´s worth the extra money

jdmcnudgent

parallax said:
well i´m in spain and we don´t even have 2.4c's yet, and i don´t think they´ll be below $240 when they come out

i agree HT is sweet but dunno if it´s worth the extra money
i dont know what the money conversion is, but if its not too much, and you want the chip, you can send me the loot, and i can ship it to you for actual costs. let me know.

OP
P

parallax

thanks!

i´ll see what I do... gotta think about it first, i´ll tell you when i decide for something :)

Rio71

hi,
parallax, go first with the p4m and bay an canterwood board, goooood ram, ... vid-card...
play with memory timings and high fsb.
later upgrade to C-chips, when price is lower.

c1 p4m possible clock up to near 3ghz. less vcore, less heat...
i have sl6fh too, L248. but my current board limited at 225fsb.

OP
P

parallax

nitro boie: i´m getting a sapphire 9500pro 128mb, it´s a new PC i´m building. next step would be the 9700 non-pro i guess, that´s like $60 more

Rio71: that´s what i thought at first... i´ll also look at some prices for higher mhz p4-m's

Overclocker456

What about the 2.4GHz mobile CPU.. I like that one. You'll be able to push it to the extreme bus speeds that the new boards allow..

markodude

Yeah, I have the 2.2 C1 mobile and cant wait to get it in a new i875 board and see how far she goes, although the problem with the high speed mobile chips is the price - they are much more than there desktop counterparts.
Id say go for the 1.8 since its cheaper and upgrade to a good stepping 800FSB chip later.....once everyone else finds out what the good ones are for you ;)

Lonely Raven

If you traded with me please leave me Heatware Sen
I've had two mobile chips I've played with, both being older
middle of 2002, and both did 220FSB on my BH-7!!

If you could score a P4 Mobile of a date closer to 2003, and with
a good mobo that can hit 250FSB, I'm SURE you will get 2.5 easy!
Hell, I hit 2.7gig somewhat unstable, but I hit it with an older
mobile chip!

If you can find one of the newer P4 mobile with HT in it, WOW!

OP
P

parallax

the one i´m getting is a SL6FH, 2002 week 47, that´s close enough to 2003 i think :D

fsb250 would be perfect, 3ghz and ddr400 on the ic7... i´ll be alright with 2.4ghz tho ;)

Rio71

parallax said:
the one i´m getting is a SL6FH, 2002 week 47, that´s close enough to 2003 i think :D

fsb250 would be perfect, 3ghz and ddr400 on the ic7... i´ll be alright with 2.4ghz tho ;)
yes, this should be possible. keep us updated.:)

JohnnyTheRed

Do the P4 Mobile chips, and the P4 desktop chips use the same socket? What benefits do the mobile chips offer? I'm missing somethign here :/

OP
P

parallax

JohnnyTheRed: the only differences between both are:

- no heatspreader on the mobile chip
- the mobile chip has a default multiplier of 12x if you put it on a desktop motherboard. that means if you put a 1.8ghz (or anything else) mobile in your mobo, it´ll work at 12x100 = 1.2ghz... and low multipliers = high FSBs

Rio71: sure :) i´ll have to wait some days till the IC7 is available in my local store tho