• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.4C m0 from ZZF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, after about 2 months of testing and tinkering it looks like this m0 is only stable at 3.2gig (12x267). I just got an SP-94 with a Vantec Tornado 92mm fan yesterday to cool it down and it appears heat was definately not my problem. Anything higher and the CPU craps out in Prime95 right away.

*sigh* I was hoping for more along the lines of 3.4 or 3.5.

I thought most M0s went way up there too, apparently I got a merely average chip.

I didn't change my RAM, I was able to get the HyperX PC3500 up and running at 214 using 2-2-2-6 and 3.0vdimm. It seems stable and can run memtest86 overnight and prime95 for days without erroring out.

Wow, that is bizarre on your M0. Mine will only do 3.4 in my rig, but will do 3.66 in another rig that belongs to a guy at work. My motherboard is limiting me somehow; I want to see if I can volt-mod my NB.

I tried increasing the AGP voltage from 1.5 to 1.6 and 1.65 and it didn't seem to help. According to the voltage monitor in the BIOS on my AI7, the AGP voltage and the NB voltage are the same thing. At least thats what I take the "NB/AGP Voltage" line to mean. It didn't seem to help.

The processor simply gives up at anything over 3.2gig. I can boot into Windows just fine at 3.4 but Prime95 dumps out right away. I tried voltages all the way up to 1.625 and I saw no improvement over 1.55v.

Csybe, your comments about the 3:2 divider are interesting. I think I did my testing yesterday with my RAM at 3:2 to rule that out as a possible factor. Maybe I will try again using 5:4 with some looser timings.

I tried doing it up using the 5:4 divider and I'm making some decent progress. I have it running now at 12x284 using 1.625v. Its been running Prime95 for about 20 minutes now, which is about 19 minutes longer than it used to do :)

To be sure on the memory I raised the timings to 2.5-4-4-8 using 3.0vdimm. It the CPU proves to be stable I will test again later using tighter timings. As of now I think its faster at 284 5:4 using these timings than it was at 267 using 2-2-2-6.

Only time will tell, thanks for the suggestion.

Arch said:
I tried doing it up using the 5:4 divider and I'm making some decent progress. I have it running now at 12x284 using 1.625v. Its been running Prime95 for about 20 minutes now, which is about 19 minutes longer than it used to do :)

To be sure on the memory I raised the timings to 2.5-4-4-8 using 3.0vdimm. It the CPU proves to be stable I will test again later using tighter timings. As of now I think its faster at 284 5:4 using these timings than it was at 267 using 2-2-2-6.

Only time will tell, thanks for the suggestion.
looks like you guys got some bad luck with the Z3 chips. mine does 306 fsb on default voltage.:clap:

My problem is my ram; it just doesn't like running at 3/2 -- that, or else this motherboard just doesn't like running it there. I can run my memory as far as 460mhz at 1:1 speeds, which gives me something paltry like 2.7ghz for an overclock. It essentially just doesn't WORK at 3/2 divider after about 350mhz, no matter what. So I'm stuck at 5/4 ratio, which craps out right here where my memory stops :(

I guess I need to tinker with my rig more; there's an updated BIOS that has some "overclocking stability" features in it or something. Maybe that will help with these abysmal dividers.

Welp, I couldn't make it stable at 3.4gig using 1.65v so I'm back to 3.2gig. Oh well, it looks like that really is as fast as I can make it go.

Its all the luck of the draw...

have you tried using the other 2 slots for your ram? i can do about 13mhz more at 5-4 2-2-2-5 in one set over the other.

Well, let's not compare apples to oranges. It's harder doing 300 fsb on air. As for stability? Check a whole bunch of 3D stress tests. Most the boards release the PCI lock at 299 fsb or so, so 3D and Prime is not stable. My 3326 MO step boots 301 fine. It passes the 16M SuperPI (usually takes 16') at 298 and is stable in all 3D, but fails the 1M test at 299! The 1M test takes 39 secs to run.

Not that I will see all that much difference in benchmarks between 298 and 300 fsb. :p

Man, thank you Overclockers.com for changing your forum address! The Systems Administrator at work blocked the old site. Been away for a month or so. Will post while I can until they find this address to block. :(

Arch said:
The processor simply gives up at anything over 3.2gig. I can boot into Windows just fine at 3.4 but Prime95 dumps out right away. I tried voltages all the way up to 1.625 and I saw no improvement over 1.55v.

Glad to see it might work for you ;)

I have the exact same problem with my CPU, with the same numbers (3.2 core inside and topping out there? :confused: ). It's a D1 though. Need an SL6Z3 and some luck :)

Well, I'm not ready to give up on this chip just yet. I have it at 3.31 (12x276) and it completed 8hrs of prime95 overnight at 1.6vcore. Vdimm is at 3.0 and timings are 2-3-3-7.

I think the ultimate factor here is my RAM. It has an uncanny ability to throw an unbelievable fit at anything over its rated speed (217mhz). I'm at 220mhz right now and I don't think I'm going to push it higher.

Tonight comes and overnight run of memtest86.

Arch said:
I just got my SL6Z3 from ZZF about 5 minutes ago. I did a quick scan of the box for you all to see:

p4.jpg

I need to rebuild my system today with my new AI7 and this cpu. Today is my anniversary, so I doubt much building will take place as the girlfriend wouldn't appreciate it :)

Results to come....

Arch

Anniversary? Girlfriend? They come and go but the chance to overclock a great chip seldom happens. :D :p

Woohoo!

I did some more tweaking, its now stable at 3.31gig (12x276) using 1.6vore. I tweaked the memory timings and I found I can run at 2-2-2-6 using 3.0vdimm. Vagp is at 1.55. It ran 24 hours of Prime95 and 10 hours of memtest86.

Average case temp these days borders around 28*C. During the summer months I may have to back it down a bit, but who knows. Being in Rochester, NY means it stays cold until May :)

Seem this m0 isn't all that bad after all. Its not amazing but it isn't a total dud either.

Back