• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.53 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingdom

Hey

Well so far ive had a 2.26 clocked at 2.8ghz 100%stable (16hours of prime95) and a friends 2.4b chip at 2.9ghz 100%stable during the same test in my system, to me it seems like a 500mhz overclock are quite possible with a 2.53ghz on my system, what do you think ? am i to positive or do i have a point, the idle teps for the 2.26 were 30c and 33 for the 2.4 and full load temps were 53c for the 2.26 and 55c for the 2.4 after the 16 hours, so as i see it i will most likely just cross the 3ghz with a idle temp around 36c and a 16hour full load at about some 58c. This are with the stoch heatsink fan and 9 case fans.

Any thougts ideas or "you are a positive bast.." inputs are appreciated :)

Or any experience from ppl who have overclocked a 2.53 are most welcome as well :)

Janus

Try and get your hands on a 2.53 ES chip. They clock all the way to hell and back. Have been told that all 2.53 Es chips are all unlocked.

FIZZ3

Kingdom said:
Hey

Well so far ive had a 2.26 clocked at 2.8ghz 100%stable (16hours of prime95) and a friends 2.4b chip at 2.9ghz 100%stable during the same test in my system, to me it seems like a 500mhz overclock are quite possible with a 2.53ghz on my system, what do you think ? am i to positive or do i have a point, the idle teps for the 2.26 were 30c and 33 for the 2.4 and full load temps were 53c for the 2.26 and 55c for the 2.4 after the 16 hours, so as i see it i will most likely just cross the 3ghz with a idle temp around 36c and a 16hour full load at about some 58c. This are with the stoch heatsink fan and 9 case fans.

Any thougts ideas or "you are a positive bast.." inputs are appreciated :)

Or any experience from ppl who have overclocked a 2.53 are most welcome as well :)

First of all: lol @ your 9 case fans and *stock* HSF. With less case fans (which tend to be noisy, as they are on the outside of the case) but a better HSF, you'd get better CPU temps.

Secondly, why try a 500Mhz OC on a 2.53 when you have 2.9Ghz already? That's not going to make a big difference (100Mhz is less than 4% on 3Ghz) at all.
Anyhow, the chances are you can get to 3Ghz with a 2.53, but it's not guaranteed by any means... luck of the draw mostly. And it seems to me you shouldn't try it considering the small payoff if you do get lucky.

batboy

Senior Moment
It's his friend's 2.4b that was running at 2.9 gig. Kingdom has a 2.26 that will do up to 2.8 gig, but still that's not much of a gain trying to reach 3 gig. However, I know what he means, 3 gig is sort of a magical barrier. I wanted to break it too.

I have to agree with Fizz about the stock heatsink though. Lose a couple of the case fans and invest in a good CPU cooler installed with Arctic Silver thermal paste. Your cooling will be much better and maybe you can overclock higher.

Some of the new 2.53 CPUs are now the C1 stepping. If you can luck out and get one of those, 3 to 3.2 gig is well within reach. The older B0 stepping 2.53 will give you maybe a 50-50 chance of hitting 3 gig. If you buy a 2.66 CPU, you'll be sure to get a C1 stepping that should easily go to at least 3 gig or more (with good cooling).

FIZZ3

Yeah, a C1 stepping could possibly increase the gain over the 2.8Ghz the OP has now. However, even with a *best case* C1 overclock of 3.2Ghz the net sum is a mere 400Mhz or about 14% speed increase.
I agree that this somewhat more worthwile than the <4% quoted earlier, but the cost is that of a quite expensive 2.53. Also, the large uncertainty involved regarding actually receiving a C1 and then getting a 700Mhz OC out of it (168 isn't quite within the well-trodden path) still make it a doubtful investment in my view.

If you're really itching for more speed I'd wait a bit for the 3.06Ghz. Rumour has it it will clock to 3.5Ghz easy and even at stock speed it has that little boost you are looking for already. Then again it will probably more expensive too... =S

OP
Kingdom

Kingdom

got it today, not c1 :|

It did 3040mhz at the first try thoug :D and are amazingly stable, will up it a bit more later :D

Hawk

I would agree, getting a better HSF will help those temps. 55 is pretty warm. CPU will last longer if you get those down. Ain't these northwoods great?

Banshee350

Registered
Oced my 2.53 @ 2.8 (147)

Very stable with stock hsf. runs 48 idle 60 full load
New HSF on way! Get it tomarrow. AS3 too!

I wanted so badly to hit 3.0 ghz, but it would crash in windows alot. Maybe just too hot?! after all I still have stock HSF.

I didn't touch the voltage or anything because I'm scared. Or is it safe to push it up a little?

Banshee350

Registered
I think my mother board my be lieing about the temps?!
ABIT IT-7 Max2

The fans that blow out exhaust don't even blow hot air anymore now that I put a new HSF on the cpu. Makes me wonder if temp is right.

Okay I upped the voltage to 1.6 more stable and booted windows at 3.0ghz. Crashed in 3dmark due to temp programs in background trying to powere off system when it hit 65 C.

Temps with Dragon Orb 478 and AS3 50C idle
158/66/33 = 3011ghz
1:1 cpu/dram 65C full! ouch!
low strap
Upped the voltage to 1.65
Temps about same...

Any suggestions?

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
That may not be the best CPU cooler, though it looks cool ;) What cooler did you order to replace it with? Mine idles around 40C and doesn't go over 46C under load. It's running @ 1.775Vc, 25C ambient with MCX4000+Tornado (named that for a reason). Coming from a Tt Volcano 7+, it dropped load temps 4-5C.

Some people think the Abits read 7-8C over the "real" temp and I suppose it is possible, but even still, that would put you at ~58C under load....and that seems way too hot for me....especially for your Vc.

If they are correct, your idle may really be ~42C, but still jumps ~16C under load where a better HS+F would only go up 5-10C.

OP
Kingdom

Kingdom

maxx, bought it through my job (telekom)

I have 7 case fans, guess they are helping out :)

I'll try getting it up to 3.1ghz when i get home tonight, dont have much else to do :|