• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4 2.8C OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

realms

Registered
Im relativley new to overclocking pentium 4's i get the gist of it but i'm just asking for advice. I've got pc3200 ram running at 2-2-2-4 timings, i'm looking to overclock asynchronously. I wont gain any bandwith from this will I? Simpky just a higher frequency? Also what kind of overclock is a good number to shoot for i've got a thermalright slk 900U with a tornado on top of it. My idle temperature according to asus probe and mbm5 are 25C cpu and 31C MB, i've been told these are low by 5 degrees C. I've got the ASUS P4C800-E.

I'm used to overclocking AMD's and well that was alot simpler and i can't afford to break anything, since i'm already running 800mhz fsb and i'm really not increasing bandwith will i really benefit from an overclock?

topslop1

I would say shoot for somewhere around 3.6 - 3.7ghz. Sounds like a real good overclock right there to me. Even if you end up with 3.4 - 3.5ghz it would still be a good performance boost. Yes, overclocking it even without increasing your memory bandwith will help you out and make it faster. Is it worth it? Every speed increase is in my opinion. And yes it will just be a higher frequency.

curt123

Registered
I would start alil lower than 3.6-3.7 maybe use the 10%-20% Ai overclock to start and see how it handles that. Asus boards are great overclockers but your memory and temps is what you need to watch I am at 3.22 250fsb on crucial memory. If your memory can handle stock timings at 245-250 fsb this is probably your best best unless you have great cooling and flexible memory. A good 2.8C should do 3.4 with stock HSF and decent PC3200 memory to me this is the sweet spot that alloows you the most improvement without having to buy faster memory or better cooling.

OP
R

realms

Registered
curt123 said:
I would start alil lower than 3.6-3.7 maybe use the 10%-20% Ai overclock to start and see how it handles that. Asus boards are great overclockers but your memory and temps is what you need to watch I am at 3.22 250fsb on crucial memory. If your memory can handle stock timings at 245-250 fsb this is probably your best best unless you have great cooling and flexible memory. A good 2.8C should do 3.4 with stock HSF and decent PC3200 memory to me this is the sweet spot that alloows you the most improvement without having to buy faster memory or better cooling.

I'm running at really low latency so i was going to leave the ram alone.

I really appreciate the input guys, i think wed. or whenever i'm bored im going to take a couple of hrs and go from 3.4-3.7 and do mem tests etc, an overclock is easy, it's stability that counts.

Jiggahurtz

Disabled
Remember your only running pc3200 ram, there is no way that stuff will hit 250fsb on stock timings since your asking for an extra 50mhz(100mhz effective). You will either need to loosen the timings or run a divider to keep your ram closer to stock. With P4's ram speed and timings aren't quite so harmful. You will get a rather nice increase at running the cpu at 250fsb and the ram at 200fsb unlike with a Athlon setup.

OP
R

realms

Registered
Jiggahurtz said:
Remember your only running pc3200 ram, there is no way that stuff will hit 250fsb on stock timings since your asking for an extra 50mhz(100mhz effective). You will either need to loosen the timings or run a divider to keep your ram closer to stock. With P4's ram speed and timings aren't quite so harmful. You will get a rather nice increase at running the cpu at 250fsb and the ram at 200fsb unlike with a Athlon setup.

With my motherboard it will let me set those frequencies independently, am i thinking of the wrong settings?

Primu$

Wat have you OC'd your 2.8c to so far? and thats a northwood core correct
when i oc, i oc'ed only the CPU then checked to see if windows would load right and ran a few programs...basically do it little by little, simply increase voltages if system is unstable and what not
"to produce its needs juice" :)

OP
R

realms

Registered
Primu$ said:
Wat have you OC'd your 2.8c to so far? and thats a northwood core correct
when i oc, i oc'ed only the CPU then checked to see if windows would load right and ran a few programs...basically do it little by little, simply increase voltages if system is unstable and what not
"to produce its needs juice" :)

I tried upping the cpu bus to 220 and it didnt work out so well, im thinking i need to adjust the vcore, what vcore setting are you running? I've been kinda busy so i've put overclocking on the backburner for a few days.

Primu$

realms said:
I tried upping the cpu bus to 220 and it didnt work out so well, im thinking i need to adjust the vcore, what vcore setting are you running? I've been kinda busy so i've put overclocking on the backburner for a few days.
Wat is your vcore at stock? 1.5 simply bump the vcore from its stock up a notch i dont recommend this but i would try my vcore @ 1.6 that is good.

OP
R

realms

Registered
Primu$ said:
Wat is your vcore at stock? 1.5 simply bump the vcore from its stock up a notch i dont recommend this but i would try my vcore @ 1.6 that is good.

It wasn't stable all the way up to 1.65 volts, guess i didnt luck out on the cpu :(.