• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 3.06 benchmarked.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
markodude said:
Im not bias toward either AMD or Intel - see my sig. I would say that majority of Intel peeps dont realise how fast AMD chips are. I have got a 2.43hr run on the SETI benchmark with my 2400+, which is running at 2200mhz 175FSB and DDR350 CAS2. My 2.53ES P4 @ 3.0ghz on a 158FSB and DDR420 CAS2.5 will only do a 2.63hr run (it measures portions of an hour decimally)
Make your own conclusions from that.
The AMD chip they benchmarked was keeping pace with it. I don't think anyone meant to 'knock' AMD.

AMD chips run hot as is. So it should be expected that they run well overclocked. Just my thought anyhow.

markodude said:
Im not bias toward either AMD or Intel - see my sig. I would say that majority of Intel peeps dont realise how fast AMD chips are. I have got a 2.43hr run on the SETI benchmark with my 2400+, which is running at 2200mhz 175FSB and DDR350 CAS2. My 2.53ES P4 @ 3.0ghz on a 158FSB and DDR420 CAS2.5 will only do a 2.63hr run (it measures portions of an hour decimally)
Make your own conclusions from that.

unfortunatly, you can't judge the cpu form seti benchmarks alone. It just doesnt work like that.

your axp might beat a 3g p4 in seti, but what about day to day use, 3d, office apps?

Well I see a spark has started this thread on fire, but I might just remind you guys that each CPU has it's strengths and weaknesses. Do ANYTHING bandwidth intensive, like compressing zips, MP3s, video editing etc. and the P4 will crush the Athlon like a bug. Then again, do any serious number crunching, like F@H or Seti, and the Athlon just runs circles around the P4. It's all about WHAT YOU DO WITH THE CPU that determins how good it is. So the whole debate over which is better is really a useless waste of breath (or typing time).

Yeah I know this - I was just making a point, I use my rigs mostly for SETI. My Oc'd 2400+@2200mhz will out do the oc'd P4 2.53ES@3ghz in sandra CPU arithmetic and multimedia. It will also beat in in 3dmark I think, although still to try - my AXP2400+ with a GF4Mx440 hits nearly 8k in 3dmark - I need to put in the Ti4600 and see.
Im not starting an Athlon vs P4 battle here, I dont think there is much in it at all at the moment. I just have had better experience in what I do with my Athlon

Back