• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 3.06GHz @ 3.33 so far with stock cooling, voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KC Coldbrook

Registered
My brand-spankin-new, got-under-the-wire-at-googlegear P4 3.06GHz arrived today.

So far it's done an hour of Prime95 at 3.33 GHz. Stock cooling, stock voltage of 1.55V (note the boxed Intel HS is a new copper-base unit).

Test config I threw together:

Abit IT7-MAX2
256MB Kingmax PC2700 (just at 266 for the moment, testing the CPU by itself first)
Enermax 431
GeForce2 GTS 32MB
SB Live (just to add complexity)

By the way, for the sake of completeness, yes it's true that the IT7 doesn't have a BIOS switch to turn on HT, but I don't give a flying **** about HT.

KC

OP
K

KC Coldbrook

Registered
Not that I have host bandwidth for...

I just checked with h. Oda's WCPUID real time CPU speed meter, and I'm not thermal throttling while running Prime95. This looks solid!!!

KC

imgod2u

I know I for one am very interested in what benefits HT can bring. Update your bios and see if you have the option to turn HT on/off. And please, do a set of benchmarks from single-threaded apps such as Q3A to multithreaded apps like Photoshop and give us the results please.

FIZZ3

KC Coldbrook said:

I just checked with h. Oda's WCPUID real time CPU speed meter, and I'm not thermal throttling while running Prime95. This looks solid!!!

KC

Try higher! This is only 11% overclock, you may be able to reach more. =)

micamica1217

imgod2u said:
I know I for one am very interested in what benefits HT can bring. Update your bios and see if you have the option to turn HT on/off. And please, do a set of benchmarks from single-threaded apps such as Q3A to multithreaded apps like Photoshop and give us the results please.

yes, please give results.....also you can show pics using the attach file for sandra and so on?

thanks in advance

mica

raven

So how much is the 3.06 going for?
im just interested... need to spec my new pc
and i would be interested to know how far this chip will go on air!
thanks

TWY

OT: How about using this new HSF on older P4s, say the 1.8A or 2.4B? Would it bring down the temps quite a bit?

OP
K

KC Coldbrook

Registered
Update

I've passed Prime95 now @ 3.38 GHz, with the RAM at DDR392. Stock cooling, stock voltage.

I'm not willing to go past +14 FSB without a motherboard that locks the PCI/AGP frequencies. I could have done that on my previous test board, the IT7-MAX2, but as I said it doesn't yet have a BIOS that enables HyperThreading.

I'm inclined to stick with the P4PE at 3.38 rather than order and wait for an Abit BE7 (which has PCI/AGP lock & HT support).

I can feel this chip has more speed in it though.

KC

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
Of course it does. Lock the buses and "wow" us! For $700, I need a little convincing that the 3.06 can OC as much or better than my 2.53, which isn't particularly noted for its OC abilities. If anyone gets to 3.5-3.6 on air, I might spring for one.

Send me your system specs, pics, WCPUID, MBM5, benchmark, etc. screen shots, I'll host them.

What are your idle/load/ambient temps on it stock/OC'd with that default cooling and Vcore?

JCviggen

KC Coldbrook said:

KC

uhm, you will NEVER see it throttle in WCPUID... because the clocks will stay the same. When the CPU throttles it will simply let some clock cycles go unused. It will 'skip' them sort of speak.
It happens just past 60C stressed so just watch your temps