• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4 3.0e causing PS to overheat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jscat

Registered
Hello i'm new to the forum, but drop buy every now and again. I just set up my 3.0e with an asus p4p800 se and read that the E version is power hungry. I noticed after i had left my computer on overnight it didnt respond in the morning. After a restart it made some odd noises. After another restart it worked fine. I was curious so i opened the case and realized the Power Supply was extremely hot. Do you guys and girls believe the Antec true 380 is not strong enough to deal with my new MB and proc? Additional components include 9700pro, audigy2, 2HHD and a 52x burner. Any help? Thanks in advance and im off to bed.

js

OP
J

jscat

Registered
My cpu temp is around 40 consistantly and 50 or so on a load. I had overclocked it, but reduced the speed to normal. So i dont think that should be a problem. Case and ambient temps i dont know. I have 2 120 mm fans running all the time. I think it was just too hot in my bed room. Normally the AC is on but not that night. Also my comp sits close to a wall and the fans may not have adequate (sp?) ventilation. As far as my components go i could remove a hdd and not really miss it :)

js

Jojo1971

jscat said:
My cpu temp is around 40 consistantly and 50 or so on a load. I had overclocked it, but reduced the speed to normal. So i dont think that should be a problem. Case and ambient temps i dont know. I have 2 120 mm fans running all the time. I think it was just too hot in my bed room. Normally the AC is on but not that night. Also my comp sits close to a wall and the fans may not have adequate (sp?) ventilation. As far as my components go i could remove a hdd and not really miss it :)

js

it wouldnt hurt to get an "overkill" PSU..an ANTEC 550W would make a good replacement for price/performance..

OP
J

jscat

Registered
I would go out and buy a new PS, but im short on funds considering i just bought the proc and MB :( I'm gonna try and see if i can increase my airflow to the PS and ill get back to ya.

Thanks
js

Sjaak

if you find an old 300w atx PSU at the dumpsters, use that one. Connect the green ATX wires from both PSU's so that the other one boots as well, and just use those molex connectors for extra wattage power

OP
J

jscat

Registered
Hmmm. sounds interesting. Question... Where do i put the other PS? It's gonna look kind of funny sitting outside my case :)

Sjaak

A friend of mine and i did that mod in the last holiday, he was very short of money and had only 300 watts for his 2500+ / 1GB / 5900XT / 4 drives, so we decided to do that mod.

He had a bigtower, so we just laid the other PSU upside down on the old one (fan facing up, even the old ones need *some* cooling :p). We connected the green wires of the PSU (strip them somewhere and connect), so that the other PSU boots as well (fan turns on). Check this *before* you connect any devices. Also checl the voltages (multimeter) because old PSU tend to get worse over the years.

After we made sure that it ran fine, he connected the extra power plug of his VGA and his two optical drives to it, as well as his CCFL (he got 4 :eek: ), and ran smooth ever since.

OP
J

jscat

Registered
That's a pretty cool idea. :D The only problem i have is my tower is a mid and i don't have too much room. I have been monitoring the PSU and have not noticed it getting too hot as of late. I have a big fan blowing on the case for now. :-/ That will have to do for now until i become rich. :) Thanks for the replies. If i get the urge i may try your mod. Do you have a site i can reference? Bad thing is i don't have a multimeter. :(

Sjaak

The mod is so simple that after you did it once you think everyone should be able to do it without difficulty.

Test it yourself. Connect the PSU to a wall outlet, then connect the green wire and the black one next to it. The PSU will boot and stay on for the time the wires stay connected.

The motherboard does exactly the same on bootup, it connects the green and black wires. The Reset switch interrupts this connection, resulting in a power outage of a few millisec.

So all you need to do is to strip the green wire from PSU # 1, and connect it to the green wire of PSU #2. That way they both recieve the bootup signal from the mobo.

OP
J

jscat

Registered
Thats sounds like fun :) I wonder if i can find or make a box to hold the supply. Any suggestions?

js

Sjaak

jscat said:
Thats sounds like fun :) I wonder if i can find or make a box to hold the supply. Any suggestions?

js

depending on what case you have, you can build it in (on top of the old one, or in the mid-front). If you have 3 drive bays clear, you can placeit in there.

man_utd

Has he checked his rails? before he needs to get a new PSU its always good to see if your rails are running where they should.

Sjaak

man_utd said:
Has he checked his rails? before he needs to get a new PSU its always good to see if your rails are running where they should.

...and if the rails are fine, he only needs more wattage :)

aNTiChRisT

Also, something to remember is that as the temperature increases, the wattage output decreases. @ 50c, that could be down to 350w or less... not much of a drop because antec allow for ~40c load but on cheaper PSU's they test them @ 25c to give thier output voltages -- meaning a cheap PSU could go down to 300 or less because of heat!

~t0m