• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 3.0E socket 478 SL7PM (E0) inbox first results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antonio.araujo

Registered
SL7PM.jpg

It has potential for sure but maybe it's not for me...

I want a quiet system only with air cooling and I can't get this cpu prime stable above 3.75 Ghz. Above 3.3 Ghz it starts 100% throttling when at > 62ºC and it won't boot with more than 1.6v. Frequency is not reduced and performance looks the same but ThrottleWatch shows 100% TM1 throttling all the time when running 2 threads of prime95.

My current system is an Asus P4C800-ED with 2x512 Adata 566 TCCD.
I tried 1.45; 1.5; 1.55 and 1.6 vcore with no luck.
At 1.6v the system shuts down after a few mins...
Vagp is 1.6v e and vdimm is 2.85v.
Mem is 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 8, PAT and Hyper-Threading are on.
I use Zalman 7000Cu @ 1900 rpms.

My previous setup for 1 year and a half and 100% prime stable and day to day use was the same motherboard with a P4 [email protected] Ghz and 2x512 cheap Twinmos DDR400. The cooler is the same.

This is my first prescott experience and I don't if they're all like this E0 but it seems very very sensible to temperatures and voltages changes.

After all i'm disapointed with this cpu that was so hard to find.
Maybe someone can help me to get better results...
Tks a lot (and good hunt if you're on phase change or even water :rolleyes: )

Hi,
I have a 3.0 DO and have had similar results from poor thermal compound application. I have three processors and I like to play with them all so I have encountered this more than once. (My waterblock is tuff to get any movement when seating it on the cpu). My suggestion is use artic silver 5 and follow the instructions for P4s near the bottom of this page. I hope this helps.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

not too shabby. If you want to oc your computer in silence... you gotta go water cooling. 3.75ghz on air is an awesome oc for a 3.0e... be happy with it.

BTW, next time you post a screenie of your results, try cropping the image so that it isnt so big. If you need a good program that screenshots and crops... download SnagIt

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

My 3.0e CO stepping does 3.6ghz prime stable with 1.425 vcore fsb 240, im trying to burn it in to see if i can get it down to 1.4125vcore.
Hows case ventilation? maybe you could do a duct mod with fan to supply your zalman with cool air.

Prescotts run at least 10+ degrees hotter than Northwoods. This should be no surprise if you did your homework. So, you are forcing an overclock with inadequate cooling and overvolting up to 1.6v (when 1.5v should be max), then you complain? If you want quiet, go watercooling, otherwise stick to Northwoods.

It's true, you're all right :bang head

Too much expectations for this E0 cpu but 750 mhz overclock isn't that bad for silent air cooling... :eh?:

Maybe it's time for A64, this cpu can't get much better than my previous overclocked 2.4C :bang head

It will O/C a lot more with better cooling. One way to increase air flow is to install 120mm fans. They move more air at lower RPM than smaller fans. The lower the RPM, the quieter the fan. Slap a XP-120 heatsink on that sucker and you'll have great cooling and it will still be fairly quiet. I've talked to A64 owners and they run a little warm too. Not as warm as a Prescott, but certainly warmer than a Northwood.

Well, i have nice air flow in my case with 2 front fans blowing in and 2 rear fans blowing out a lots of free space...

I don't care much about temps if the cpu is stable... My problem is that this sucker won't stabilize at decent speed :(

There might be other issues combining to hold back your O/C. Might try looser timings to make sure it's not your RAM. That Asus mob does droop vcore under load. A lot more with a Prescott than with a Northwood.

I'm sure ram is ok. I've used memtest and lowered it's speed.

My PSU is an Enermax 460W.

Maybe a droop mod would help but i can't do that by myself :cry:

I just got a Thermaltake 680 and it does the same thing, shuts off under load. And it doesn't take any 10 minutes. RMA'd it, and the new one does the same thing!

So, I await the OCZ 600 from the Egg. :-/

Back