• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 @ 512k cache and P-M with 2Meg cache ?!?!? how come ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goden99

a snip from http://www.neowin.net/.
Intel will continue to boost performance of its Pentium M processors throughout this year as well as the 2004. In the fourth quarter of 2003 the company launches its 1.80GHz Pentium M based on the Dothan core with 2MB of L2 cache and made using 90nm manufacturing process

2 MEGS ?!?!
We have to wait for prescot to come out for 1MB cache how come LAPTOPS which need LESS POWER are gona have more cache ??

NiTrO bOiE

Will the 2MB cache chips still use the socket 478 platform? If so, I'm sure there will be a lot of people using them in desktops.

Mr. $T$

well it all has to deal with Power saving while still having the preformence that we exepect from our desktops,

have you ever put more ram in a laptop, lets say you have 128Mb in a standerd P4 based laptop, then you upgrade to 512Mb, If you do this then you can see a inprovement in the battery life, this is because the computer is not using one of the biggest hogs of electric, the Hard Drive. If you put more cache in a laptop this will have the same effect because the laptop is not using the RAM as much, from what I know Cache is less power consuming then RAM is.

So it is a way to keep preformence up while keeping the battery life that has made the Pentium-M a mobile success.

ninthebin

still got the Merom and the Gilo to go after that, if they continue the trend of doubling cache then we will be seeing 8MB of it by the Gilo release :)

although your talking about the imminent release of the Nehalem too so im sure desktop processor cache size wont be that far behind

but then they could also just peiter off at a point who knows :rolleyes:

JCLW

NiTrO bOiE said:
Will the 2MB cache chips still use the socket 478 platform? If so, I'm sure there will be a lot of people using them in desktops.

No, P-Ms are very different and are not to be confused with P4-Ms. They are more like Tualatin PIIIs with a 400FSB and SSE2 then P4s.

- JW

pip

NiTrO bOiE said:

No the Pentium M is like a p3 on steroids and it uses a completely independent socket

dribgnikcom

Registered
I wish they'd release Dothan in socket370 than we'd be having 2ghz plus on our BX chipsets LOL

OP
G

goden99

So could i put one of those Pentium-Ms on a desktop mobo give it the juice it needs (power) and overclock it a bit ? I am sure they have tinny heatsinks in the laptop so they underclock the chips to keep heat at a minimal.

NookieN

pip said:

No the Pentium M is like a p3 on steroids and it uses a completely independent socket

Acutally, the pinout isn't all that different from a P4, but it is not completely pin-compatible with socket 478. I'm sure an adapter could be made to use a P-M in a socket 478, however few if any P4 chipsets would be able to support it.

While the P-M is fundamentally more similar to the PPro design than the Willamette design, is has been completely redone for performance improvements and power saving features. P-M isn't just a beefed-up P3.

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
That bit about laptop heatsinks is actually incorrect. While the 'sink part is pretty dinky, the modern ones use heat pipes, locating the "radiator" in the back where the fan can exhaust the hot air directly from the case. This setup allows for cooling desktop P4s in "gaming" laptops, so I'd say they're quite capable. Certainly not an SLK-800, but it'll do. I think the Pentium M still has some life in it yet. They're not "under-volted", I don't think, but rather, Intel is scaling them slowly because they're not going to scale as high as the P4 has, so Intel has to milk the 'M until Dothan comes out. I wonder, though, if the ULV versions of the Pentium M are more capable overclockers. They're designed to be stable at much lower voltages than standard Pentium Ms, so if the voltage was bumped back up, I bet it would 'clock higher than a regular one. However, as I assume these are multiplier-locked like the P4, it would have to beat the 1.7s with sheer FSB prowess, as the 1.7s have a difference of 7XFSB additions. It would be interesting to see which would overclock higher.

I hope my logic isn't too screwy.

Z