• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Not flat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElroyCarbon

If a CPU (P4) is not touching the water block all the way what outcome is to be expected? My machine runs Glithy as hell and crashes all the time and there is no correlation to the Apps that make it crash. Heck itll even lock up on boot-up surfing the web or even using word and winamp. Could this be a result of this? I use Mobo Monitor 5 and it shows the COU temp @ 30C. If this is it then do I have to lap the CPU? Cause the Copper is flat at least it worked for my other 2 P4's anyway. All thoughts appreciated. EC

OP
ElroyCarbon

ElroyCarbon

WOW I put the AS2 coated CPU on a lapped heatsink and sure enought that joker is far from flat. DO I goop more AS2 to make up for the error? I have never seen this in here before, although I did see where people use to lap the AMD cores. So this metal on the P4 is just the heat spreader right?

Sniperboy

If your waterblock uses bolts and springs, check for evenness by looking between the processor and waterblock and check for any spaces. Use your bolts to even it out.

cack01

Putting more Artic Silver on won't help, and in many cases hurt your temps. If you truly believe the P4 is un even, you can try taking off the heat spreader (which only few have accomplished). If your positive your heatsink is flat, I would take a trip over to the intel area of the forum and post about how to get the heat spreader off.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
actually gobbing artic silver on vs having no would be best, i just talked to him on the phone, he is installing windows again or something, he said that when he underclocks to 100fsb from 133 it seems to be stable...

EgeWorks

Ah...don't take off the IHS. It is risky and won't do much. If it ain't flat you can lap it back to the copper. Doing that or removing the IHS will stop you getting an RMA on it, so maybe if you're sure it's the CPU, RMA it saying how cheap it was made. Intel doesn't care about one processor unless it obviously been tampered with.

cack01

maskedgeek said:
actually gobbing artic silver on vs having no would be best, i just talked to him on the phone, he is installing windows again or something, he said that when he underclocks to 100fsb from 133 it seems to be stable...

I guess in his case you are correct, since he is getting little contact with the core. But I feel ( and I'm sure you agree with me) thats its not a good substitution for a flat core and heatsink.

Daemonfly

My P4 1.6A was no where near flat.

I fixed that promptly ;)

I didn't know if it was needed or not, but I sealed the little hole so no copper dust got in there.

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
Logic would tell you it needs to be mounted at least once to compress the phase change material between the core and IHS. They are purposely made humped like that. Some are humped worse than others and may not flatten out enough to rest on the edges of the IHS under mounting presure. You may be able to tell by looking at the paste pattern on the sink if you apply a really thin layer, mount it, then take it off right away.

ATLPIMP

maskedgeek said:

Sounds like his chip needs more voltage.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
nope, its a 133fsb chip, but he has to UNDERCLOCK it to make it work..