• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 power plug extention

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MidnightQ4

Registered
I just bought a Silverstone TJ06 case, and my power connectors won't reach to the mobo. I found an extension for the main connector at Fry's, but not for the square 4-pin P4 power connector. They did have a connector that adapts from a regular molex connector like you use on a hard drive or cd-rom, it just has wires coming out of two of the 4 pins on the wide hard drive end, and then it goes to a p4 connector on the other end. So I assume that you can just simply plug it into any of the connectors on the psu that are handy and then plug the other end into the mobo.

Can someone please verify if this is the right thing to do or should I special order an extention cable on the internet? Also I'm wondering if it matters to spread the load on the molex wires out, or can you just use one wire and put lots of Y extenders on it?

On a side note, one of the fans in my psu went out and when I took it apart to mess with it I noticed that a couple of the medium sized caps inside were leaking (brown crusty stuff on top). Is it recommended to junk the psu in this case or will it still function ok in general?

Balrog

1. Welcome to the Forum

2. PSU is junk - get a new one - if it blows it can take the rest of your rig with it

3. Buy a PSU that has a longer P4 connector on it, otherwise adaptor - molex version uses single ground & load, true P4 has 2 each & doesn't share with other devices

4. Using Y's is OK for a few medium powered fans but not for piling on multiple components - many high end video cards like to be the only device on the lead

5. Good Luck!

6. Regards, Balrog

OP
M

MidnightQ4

Registered
Thanks Balrog.

I guess I should have put this in the psu forum, but I kinda wanted verification that I could hook up the molex connector without blowing my system apart. Also you answered my question about the p4 connector being dedicated, was wondering about that.

For the record, my psu is an antec 350 watt, paid 89.99 for it about 2 years ago. I agree, it's junk. With the amount of electrolyte that has leaked out of the caps so far, I would surmise it's a dangerous situation at this point. Thanks for the advice.

Balrog

Hey MQ4!

Glad to be of help

Check Antecs warranty, only 2 years old should be covered, they're quality supplies, unusual to have a cap issue.

If you have to buy a new PSU consider one with the newer combo 20/24 pin ATX power connector. Just slide the extra 4 pin piece off for now & later on when you get a MoBo that requires a 24 pin you'll be all set, 400watt+ is advisable from what I hear.

Regards, Balrog

OP
M

MidnightQ4

Registered
VIII. For Warranty Service.
In the event that warranty repair or replacement is required, Antec will request and you must provide proof of purchase (store receipt or invoice) in order to receive warranty service.

yay! not.