• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 V.S. Xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tainice

i know xp folds faster than piii/s, but 4? i am currently running a 1600 @ 1.8g 172fsb, and thinking to purchase a P4 2.0 @ 2.5g+..which one will fold faster?

folding

On the Tinker core the XP will own that P4.

On the new Gromacs core it will be very close, and the P4 may even be a few seconds faster.

if u get that p4 make sure to run gromacs, they actually run quite a bit faster then xp on that core

but side by side one wit one and the other wit the other core they will churn out about same amt. of proteins

Looks like there should be no hesitation for people to upgrade to P4's. With the new gromacs, it wouldn't make a difference.

Yodums

Yodums said:
Looks like there should be no hesitation for people to upgrade to P4's. With the new gromacs, it wouldn't make a difference.

Yodums

true, the reason i made the switch to amd at the first place cuz my piii-s folds SLOW, and p4's at the time was not much better.

Some of the time it is just like, Ford vs Chevy.

$$ dont matter, just Loyalties :D

Not that I AM an AMD type of guy :beer:

Oh yah, FORD :rolleyes: :D :beer:

Rottys-R-Us said:
Some of the time it is just like, Ford vs Chevy.

$$ dont matter, just Loyalties :D

Not that I AM an AMD type of guy :beer:

Oh yah, FORD :rolleyes:
I know what you mean I'm an Intel guy who loves Chevys :)
Die-hard Earnhardt fan too.
We sure got alot in common huh?
Could make for some good debates tho :argue:
All good fun!

hawk646 said:

I know what you mean I'm an Intel guy who loves Chevys :)
Die-hard Earnhardt fan too.
We sure got alot in common huh?
Could make for some good debates tho :argue:
All good fun!

John Force here, drags.

And this use to be our 96 Mustang COBRA with the Mystic paint.

Attachments

• cobra-1.jpg
    cobra-1.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 120
Rottys-R-Us said:

John Force here, drags.

And this use to be our 96 Mustang COBRA with the Mystic paint.
Nice Ride! I got a little Black 2 door blazer no pic but it's pretty nice 2000 model
Got a 85 3/4 ton chevy scottsdale 4x4 too

I am pretty sure that AMD XP's still outperform the P4 on a Ghz for Ghz basis.

I don't have any P4's but my XP running at 1667 Mhz runs a PtRpCage in 9 min 4 sec.

Compare a P4 1.7 or so Ghz and see the difference if any.

I am curious to see what the faster processor is.

wait, so would it be less efficent to have my XP in california running Gromacs. Because if so, im making a 4 hour trip this week to stop that. :p... but yes ive seen the P4 server push out more since i chnaged it over to gromac,

RyanRichard said:
wait, so would it be less efficent to have my XP in california running Gromacs. Because if so, im making a 4 hour trip this week to stop that. :p... but yes ive seen the P4 server push out more since i chnaged it over to gromac,

From the times I have with Tinker and Gromacs core on an XP 1600@1669 there is very little difference between the two cores.

I have seen a VERY small difference over time.

Check this LINK

I posted my times with an XP for Tinker and Gromacs.

The future of this project will likely be deeply involved with Gromacs. NO point in changing at this time. We will probably ALL be running Gromacs cores in a few months or less.

Last edited:
chrismacan said:
I am pretty sure that AMD XP's still outperform the P4 on a Ghz for Ghz basis.

I don't have any P4's but my XP running at 1667 Mhz runs a PtRpCage in 9 min 4 sec.

Compare a P4 1.7 or so Ghz and see the difference if any.

I am curious to see what the faster processor is.

My T-bird sys 1.33 @ 1.533 running the same WU as you have ther. is 09:48 :D

Last edited:
I think that if you have the budget to pony up pennies for a p4, why not go with an AMD dually? You can bet that a dually xp2000, 2100, or higher will stomp on ANY p4.

Wedo

Dodge and AMD man :D

Back