• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P45 Motherboard Reviews/Previews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Biostar's P45

8254_biostartpower.jpg

"The TPower I45 is aimed at the overclocker and features 100% solid capacitors, updated TPower utility, 8+2 channel HD audio, twin PCI-Express x16 slots and a new thermal solution called Cooler Harbour. The board supports CPUs with front side bus speeds of 800/1066/1333/1600 MHz and DDR2 RAM at 800/1066/1200 MHz. ATI CrossFireX is supported and the board offers 10 USB ports (including headers). Asus will also be launching its own line of P45 chipset motherboards at Computex."

source - http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=11943

I don't know if anyone noticed that the Maximus II Formula has 1 x16 slot and 1 x8 slot in Crossfire mode. I'm glad my Maximus Formula can properly run both slots in x16 in Crossfire.

question about the big-picture timeline for intel chipsets... G45, G43, P45 & X48 are the end of support for socket 775, right? Next up is socket H, aka LGA715, right?

also, what's the main reason to go X48 vs P45?

wow, that Maximus II Formula is looking to be very interesting!

Last edited:
The heatsink layout on that Asus board looks very nice. Wonder if the performance is as good as the look. I may have to hold off buying a mobo :( My Q9450 is gonna get lonely sitting in a box under the desk with no board :)

question about the big-picture timeline for intel chipsets... G45, G43, P45 & X48 are the end of support for socket 775, right? Next up is socket H, aka LGA715, right?

also, what's the main reason to go X48 vs P45?

wow, that Maximus II Formula is looking to be very interesting!
Well P45 is out now even though LGA775 seems EOL. when neha comes out aka socket B, lga775 cpus will still be coming. just not as many as fast as they use to. P45 is for those late to upgrading that want PCIE 2.0 suppor for the future. really P45 isnt bring much over P35, other then ICH10/R which is prolly slightly faster then ICH9/R.

G43/G45 are going to be big IMO, as they are going to be bringing alot better ocing to the table for MATX boards vs G33/G35.

yes main reason for X38/X48 is CF and P45 is in no way going to hurt X38/X48 in CF. while CF for P45 is 16x/8x, not 16x/16x ike X38/X48, so its going to depend on the card your running. as you wont notice any performance difference of say 2 3870 in CF, when comparing 16x/8x vs 16x/16x. now if you use say 2 3870x2's then you will notice a difference. cards are just now starting to need more then 8x bandwidth. given that PCIE 2.0 operates at a faster speed then pcie 1.0a, pcie 2.0 8x is going to be more then enough though for CF. the main point is though the 3870x2 while PCIE 2.0 the bridge chip used is only 1.0 so the benifits of pcie 2.0 are out the door with them. with newer at dual gpu cards should be able to handle PCIE 2.0 thru and thru, no PCIE 1.0 bridge chip. in a way the 8x width is void since PCIE 2.0 is a faster speed, you may still notice a difference in peformance between the 2 setups. you should any way, but may not...

After pouring over some of the reviews and comparos on the net I decided to get a DFI P35 LT this weekend, the Egg had a nice price on it. Finding DDR2 P35 v P45 is hard but I I found at least one and the difference is something only benchmarkers will notice, ~2%, and of course for games the graphics card will be the limiting factor at real resolutions. Since I'm not interested in Crossfire spending a good deal less on P35 for a near-EOL socket made more sense for me. P45 looks nice for benchmarkers and dual-graphics card people who don't already have x38/x48 but those who already have P35 have no serious reason to upgrade unless they feel like getting a new board. Either way the price would drop a lot by the time I'd resell it so I'll take less of a loss this way and give up little to nothing in the meantime.

I'll only regret getting the DFI is P45 can seriously increase FSB potential of quads but there's no telling where the limitation is, if it's within a given CPU it won't matter.

Last edited:
i like the look of that foxconn p45 board. i'll have to google and see if they have 8 series drivers around for SLi on Intel.

i know it's *not* supported. those are not the kinda drivers i'm gonna be looking for here :)

@ P45's not having 2 true 16 PCI-E 2.0s. The guys over at anandtech said that the 2-8x electrical secondary PCI-E on the Asus Formula II would not bottleneck a next gen GPU.

We'll see.

PCIe 2.0 8x = PCIe 1.1(1.0? whatever) 16x so probably not for the foreseeable future. The cards have interconnects for direct communication anyway.

P45 is just a revision of P35 correct? So the intent and design was never for it to be a hardcore gamers chipset? That is, it is not being released to replace the X48?

They are better than the X48's imo.

The asus P45 board is targetted at the super high end, 280+

Doesn't sound like any of the boards will be under 150$ to start. But when P45 comes out, everyone will be selling the P35's for dirt cheap.

Man, that Maximus II is looking really hot hot hot! :drool:

Abit better not be late releasing their new boards or that Maximus is going to be my next board.

word, the way I think of it is that all of the things that were wrong with the x48, were fixed in the P45 or improved

Looks like a solid board.....I'm still not completely satisfied with the latest X48 board's voltage regulation, even the Rampage I have now struggles with the Q6600 at 4.23 Ghz and RAM at 940.

That is why i was pretty excited about the 780i FTW as they promised to specifically address the voltage aspect which few boards can handle at higher OC's.

well the issue isnt voltage per say with clocking the quad cores. is the PWM's lack of being able to supply enough current under those loads. the more PWM phases the higher the current capacity to suppling the cpu, with out a dropping in voltage. though as we know all to well that can still happen as pointed out intel designed the VRM spec that way, not sure why. as it makes no sense to me, looking at it from a audio amp side. as a drop in voltage means a drop in wattage output to the speakers. as current has more to do with maintaning that wattage for period of time, the more current it can supply the better.

Thanks for that correction evil, maybe the mobo guys has it mixed up as I have it :bang head. In any event, your explanation describes the frustration in technical terms I have atm.

Back