• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C safe vcore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leviathan41

What is considered a safe voltage for a P4C Northwood (its an M0 btw)? I'm running at stock voltage right now and can get the FSB up to around 235 before it starts to become unstable. Is that about average for stock voltage or low?

Anyway I want to go higher so I will be increasing the vcore and wanted to know what range to stay in, my temps are fine btw, so no trouble there.

P4C 2.8GHz and Abit IC-7

ed.howell

Most people on this forum would agree that 1.65 is a safe vcore for a Northwood. Some people even say that 1.7 is the max. But nothing is for sure and as they say your mileage may vary, lol.
For something that will be running 24/7 I wouldn't go over 1.625-1.65. Also you have to figure how much more MHZ per increase in voltage. If you only get 50-100MHZ from 1.6 to 1.65 I would stay at 1.6. In other words sometimes the extra MHZ is not worth the higher voltage.

My 2 cents.

Falkentyne

1.65 is *NOT* a safe voltage. It won't kill the chip, but you will see some degradation on the overclock. You will probably lose between 5-8 FSB on your max overclock. And who knows just how long degradation continues....

The HIGHEST safe voltage on air, is 1.60v-- this should give you no or negligable degradation.

1.625v is the highest you should go...and you can still expect degradation here...you might lose 2-4 FSB from it, over time.What you need to figure out is, how much faster you can go, compared with 1.60v-1.625. If you can reach 50-100+ mhz, then it might be worth it. Otherwise...

ed.howell

I guess I should rephrase that. The max vcore you would want to go is 1.65, some say 1.7. Depends on cooling.
I disagree with the statement that 1.625 would degrade your chip. On my 3.4C auto voltage on the mobo gave 1.616 vcore in CPUZ. So your saying that my chip will degrade a little bit on auto voltage?
Like I said above, NOBODY can tell you what your chip will experience or how it will degrade. They are all different and in different environments. All we can tell you is what is recomended. You will get different answers from many people but if you compile them together they basically say the same thing.

Hope this helps.

OP
Leviathan41

Leviathan41

I see you have yours at 1.675, any issues with it that high?

I should probably post a new topic in the motherboards section but I'll ask here. At what FSB speed do you think that northbridge cooling becomes an issue, I am using the stock NB cooler on my Abit IC-7, should I replace it?

ed.howell

My chip is 2 month's old, I need to update my sig cause I since droop modded the mobo and my vcore is now at 1.625-1.65. I am still tweaking so I will do what I told you and evaluate how much more MHZ I get from 1.6 to 1.65 vcore and maybe I will lower it. I don't have any issue's yet.
As far as NB cooling I am not sure. I know that for prescott's it's always a good idea but for Northwood's I don't know. I have the stock one on mine.

microfire

It will be fine with 10,000v. Just buy a long extension lead from K-mart and hook it to the national power grid.
Don't about the volts, just give it some and if it does the trick then live in now, before its become just another redunant part in the near future.