• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800-E Deluxe Raid Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SRB442

I have a question on raid and the intel ICH5R chipset on this P4C800-E Deluxe MB. I got 2 36gig raptors and added the raid volume installed windows xp pro (used F6 to install raid). Windows installed and I got all the latest windows update. I have noticed some different things on raid versus non raid. I have a standard ide 7200rpm 200 gig hard drive with the same windows xp installed. When I boot windows from raid0 I don't seem to have hyper threading. I don't have a standby choice when shutting down. I also when shutting down get it is safe to shutdown your computer message and I have to turn off the pc by the power button. If I boot from the 200 gig drive everthing is ok. Some of the indicators I used are no HT on the P4 pic on first screen on boot and no double processer in the hardware list. Another thing is when I put the asus mb/ driver cd in it only shows one driver on the list where it shows all of them when using the ide drive. Sorry for the size of the post and I could have posted this in several areas but thought this the best place. Thanks Steve

Ace-a-Rue

You need to turn on APIC and ACPI support in the bios under the "Power" menu to get HT enabled.

As for the computer shutting down on its own, did you run setup and do the F5 to modify what HAL driver to use? Or, did you change the HAL driver in System Properties to use MPS hal driver?

OP
SRB442

SRB442

Thanks for the reply. I have ACIP-APIC enabled and also tried ACIP 2.0 to yes and still no hyper threading. I don't understand the HAL setup. If I changed it I didn't know I did it. This stuff only happens with the raid0 setup. If I boot from the eide hard drive everthing is normal. There was not much to do for the raid array as far as settings. Is this normal or not? Steve

Ace-a-Rue

I presently have the P4P800 and I will be getting the P4C800-E Deluxe next week but the two boards are very similar other than one is a canterwood and the other is springdale.

The chipsets act the same with HT and ACPI/APIC. Tell me which HAL driver is installed in the Device Manager under "Computer". For HT to work you need to have "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" installed. One other thing that I forgot to ask. Did you check in the bios to see if "Hyper Threading" was enabled? look under the "Advanced" menu tab and the sub category of "CPU Configuration". In there, you should see if it is enabled.

Last edited:
OP
SRB442

SRB442

I think were closing in on it. When I boot from raid 0 under computer it reads MPS Uniprocessor PC. When I boot from the eide drive and look under computer it lists ACPI Multiprocessor PC. Now the big question why under the same bios with the only thing changed is the boot drive. Are there different settings? Did I make a mistake when loading windows? Does the third party raid driver (F6) during windows install have anything to do with it? I am assuming that the computer should act the same with a standard eide drive or a raid set up. Thanks for the help so far Steve

Ace-a-Rue

Go back into Device Manger and see if you can change the driver to ACPI Multiprocessor PC. Do "Update Driver" and then check mark "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)". Now check "Don't search. I will choose driver to install". Now your options should be there. Sometimes ACPI Multiprocessor PC is there and other times it is not.

If it is not there, do a repair setup and use the F5 key along with the F6 at the same time. You will then be presented with a selection of HAL drivers to manually select. The one you want is at the very top or almost to the top of the list so you'll need to slide up using the up arrow key. Once selected, you'll continue on with the repair setup and then select the Intel Raid driver from your floppy. All you need to do is a repair, but make sure you do NOT select repair using the Recovery Console. You have to use the next repair option, which repairs the whole operating system.

OP
SRB442

SRB442

Thanks for fast reply. I tried the first option and found MPS multiprocessor pc and installed that and still no go. I said screw it and reformatted the raid0 drive and installed windows (XP Pro) again and everything is ok now. I don't know what happen and still have not installed any updates yet. I will run all the updates and see if everything is ok still. Again Thanks a lot. Steve