• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800 How Many Have Failed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt Fiero

Ok I had a board go bad and I thought for sure it was me. So I bought cash a new board and the 2nd board went tits up. I started doing some research on here and it is amazing the amount of "glitches" people seem to be getting with these boards.

I had random boot errors, telling me that the CPU frequecy was wrong, or lock up on boot, or it trying to boot from the wrong HD when it just booted fine 5min ago and I had not changed anything in the bios.

The lastest problems I am seeing is with VGA errors and it not powering up the moniter.

I also had an issue with my frist board that it would not boot the SATA on the lower connector, I had to have it on the upper connector.

In short when the board worked it worked really well, but it seemed like that was only about 1/2 the time that it worked well, the other half was plauged with minor problems untill it just crashed.

How many of you have similar stories with the ASUS P4 seris boards.

Well maybe I just got a bad board or 2. I just installed my 3rd and so far it is working better than the first 2 ever did. I am running it bare, with just a gig of ram, video card and one sata drive. No CD's drives No PCI cards or USB devices for now and gasp it is not overclocked at all.

Well I think I can add one to the list, I've got mine to run thru the post but the only way you know it is because of the beeps, still no video, kinda funny is can't even get video running a PCI card, wonder if that's a sign of the northbridge? going bad?

skab said:
Well I think I can add one to the list, I've got mine to run thru the post but the only way you know it is because of the beeps, still no video, kinda funny is can't even get video running a PCI card, wonder if that's a sign of the northbridge? going bad?

People always blame the board instead of the components they are running with! If just one component of your system is bad or incompatible or whatever you will get problems. Stop blaming it on the board (don't mean you personally... :) )

NiTCOM said:

People always blame the board instead of the components they are running with! If just one component of your system is bad or incompatible or whatever you will get problems. Stop blaming it on the board (don't mean you personally... :) )

Not meant as a flame but did you miss the part where he said it would not work even with a PCI video card.

Know NiTCOM ALL COMPONENTS work outstanding in other boards, Happen to be in process of major upgrades so I have the ability to check. Also should understand that am buying another P4P800 board, I liked how it worked before it quit, realy don't see how the bios could be the problem but that's the only thing not replaced "yet", will be whenever the dang chip gets here.

There is another thread about Bios Flashing. It seems that a few people have had this problem right after flashing there bios. They replaced the bios chip and all is well.

I just updated to 1012 and so far am not having any problems. While I was doing some research about what changes were made in the bios revisions. I did note an interesting fact. It looks like the bios that was shipped with my board was the hole reason I was having so many problems in the first place. LOL. I use a Maxtor 120gig SATA drive. That is the exact drive that ASUS was having problems with and the issue was fixed in 1010.

I do not know why people are replacing their BIOS chips on the P4P800 models. If you have a CDROM drive and the original CD for your motherboard, all you need to do is put the CD in the drive, start the system and press ALT-F2. Even if your video is dead, it will still flash the BIOS. If you do not have the CD, get a copy of the version of BIOS you wish to flash, copy it to the floppy and rename it P4P800.ROM. Or you can even burn a CD with the P4P800.ROM file on it. Then do the above! Even if you have no display, it will still work, since this method requires no user input to flash. Just wait awhile before restarting the system (give it time to flash).

I flash my BIOS this way too. I just rename the BIOS file as above, put it on the floppy and do the above. I usually make two floppies in case one goes bad during the flash. Works perfectly for me! And the floppy does not have to be bootable. Nor do you have to have the floppy or CD set as your first and second boot devices.

See page 4-4 of your ASUS User Manual, section 4.1.4; Using ASUS EZ Flash to update your BIOS. Also page 4-5; Recovering the BIOS with CrashFree BIOS 2. If all else fails.... ;)

The Dr......

i can not get mine to pick up my 2.4B chip so i am stuck with a 2.4a :( kind of annoying anf i got the latest bios in it as well :(

i haev ahd the issue of it starting up but no video - but other wise it runs perfect!

Back