• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4T-E and PC1066

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toast

Greetings,

I am very interested in building a P4 system with the intent of overclocking a 1.8A to 2.4 GHz, 4x133 FSB, and PC1066 MEM.

While I see two risks, the boost in FSB, and MEM, does the Asus board require a modified clock generator for the memory ? Also, I am very open to any brand name reccomendations for the RIMMS.

Toast

i would go with the ABIT TH7 RAID II MOBO

and either way, the PLL on the boards will have to be adjusted

if you stick the PC1066 in a board right now, it will perform and be recognized as PC800

untill the boards come out to support a default 133 bus, the only advantage using pc1066 on the current MObos would be that the memory could be able to tolerate higher FSB overclocking

overclocked PC800

Trey,

Thanks for the reply.
The main issue I am trying to get some clarification on, is how risky is it to overclock PC800 RDRAM to support a 4x133FSB ? I suspect some of the high quality RIMMS should be able to handle it fine. Any thoughts ?

Toast

the samsung has been handling that speed very well

in fact, im willing to bet that some PC800 could meet PC1066 standards

its like CPU's, they make a big batch, and from that batch they test to see each individual pieces tolerance, so , in otherwords, the same batch can produce PC600, PC700, PC800, PC 1066, ect...

P4T-E clock generators

Josh,

Thanks for the excellent reference !
The thread covered all the issues I was hoping to get clarification on regarding the PCI/AGP dividers, vCore regulation, and memory clocking.

Toast

:)

They answered my question too -- think I'll be buying a P4T-E tom'w -- hope I get the good chip!

Josh,

I wish you luck on your purchase.
What memory are you going to add to your set up ?

Toast

Hi Toast,

I hear the Samsung RDRAM is excellent!

I've also read that the low-capacity modules are fastest, but I think I'm going to go with the the 256's so I can expand to 1 gig someday.

Now if only I can find a vendor with the P4T-E in stock and decent return policies . . . I want to be covered if I get the wrong chipset . . .

I know you pay a little more, but www.outpost.com has the Asus P4T-E in stock and their return policy is awesome. Let me know where you buy it and if it has the right chipset on it. I am going to purchase soon as well.

Thanks man.

Believe it or not...I called CompUSA the other day to inquire about a P4T-E and they said they could order it for 155 and then ship it for another 7 dollars. Said it would arrive in less than 5 business days. I thought this was a pretty good deal cause you don't have to deal with the online companies and the hassels if you have to return it.

That CompUSA deal sounds great, but I'm getting impatient so I ordered from Outpost. Should have my board tom'w or Thurs (I put in my order kind of late, then broke down and went for overnight shipping) . . . I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

Great Josh, if everything goes well and it has the right chipset on it...I am ordering on Thursday with overnight delivery. I am waiting impatiently.

Nuts

I got it and it has the old clock chip, so back it goes . . .

Now I'm not sure what to do!

Damn not good news...we will find them, have to keep looking. My fear is that the boards sold last year and early this year, had the faster clock chip and the new ones have the slower clock chip. That way Asus can come out with new boards with the faster clock chip and the board will support the newer memory.

I did hear that someone before XMas time bought the P4T-E from mwave and it had the faster clock chip.

I think I read the same post . . . anyone out there buy one from a recent batch that had the new clock chip?

Hey guys,

This last weekend, I noticed they had the P4T-E at Fry's Electronics. While I do not know if there is one near you, if there is, you might check it out.

Toast

Back